5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
are there any known tonneau covers that work with the trucks that have the MFT without removing the braces? i reached out to Bak and they said the braces would have to be removed to install their product

Diamond Back Covers work fine.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Diamond Back Covers work fine.
Truxedo Sentry CT and Extang Solid Fold 2.0.

My Sentry showed up Saturday, but I’m going to put it on because the factory liner has some discrepancies that the dealer is addressing. I would have preferred a hard folding design, but the solid fold does not go all the way up like a mX4

BlackBettyRamJam

Reaction score
Installed a Truxedo Pro X15 Roll-up cover tonight. Fairly mediocre on fit. Installed with the stock bed brackets and the front of the rail doesn't sit flush with the bed rails so it's kind of angled at the moment towards the back. I was hoping it would fit similar to my Access Vanish on my old 2019. It's also not removable as advertised as they have to use bolts to attach it to the side rails instead of the sliding locks. Not a big deal for me but just not described well on their website for the multifunction tailgate.

Attachments

• PXL_20210707_014751663.jpg
    PXL_20210707_014751663.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20210707_014758842.jpg
    PXL_20210707_014758842.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20210707_014808968.jpg
    PXL_20210707_014808968.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 86
O

Old member 1160

Installed the Truxedo Sentry CT on my 21 Longhorn Limited with MFT on Sunday. Main modification I had to do was to loosen the MFT brackets, and gently move down 1/4” with a rubber mallet. This allowed are more flush fit at the cab. Solid cover and looks nice in my opinion.

Attachments

• FF820D83-EE54-48CA-B09C-2DBD164B53C6.jpeg
    FF820D83-EE54-48CA-B09C-2DBD164B53C6.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 4B6ECDFB-A311-4722-B906-98BD3BB9D664.jpeg
    4B6ECDFB-A311-4722-B906-98BD3BB9D664.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 118

Lumpy55

Reaction score
I have the brackets and I installed the Bak flip MX4 with minor mods to the rails.
No issues. Looks and works great.
I also had same on a quad cab Laramie before i got my Limited.
Can you describe the rail modifications. I have an MX4 that does not fit my 2021 Limited with the 5'7" bed even though I ordered and installed the righton brackets. Before ordering the MX4 I spoke with someone at BAK who assured me that the MX4 would work using the replacement brackets. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper at the moment!

Nomad

Reaction score
Can you describe the rail modifications. I have an MX4 that does not fit my 2021 Limited with the 5'7" bed even though I ordered and installed the righton brackets. Before ordering the MX4 I spoke with someone at BAK who assured me that the MX4 would work using the replacement brackets. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper at the moment!
I have the stock soft tri-fold on my limited. I want to replace it with a hard tri-fold but have not made the jump for these very reasons. I still can't believe non of the manufacturers have come up with something that will fit without any modifications for a truck with MFT and no ram boxes. You would think there would be a sizeable market for them.

ramtacular

Reaction score
I just successfully installed the Bak Revolver 4xs hard roll-up cover on my 2021 Ram limited with the MFTG. (no ram boxes). I simply installed the right-on brackets and then trimmed the front edge mounting flanges of the rails so the rails would fit over the right-on brackets. Took me about 2.5-hr including installing the right-on brackets.

NDThumper

Reaction score
Installed the Truxedo Sentry CT on my 21 Longhorn Limited with MFT on Sunday. Main modification I had to do was to loosen the MFT brackets, and gently move down 1/4” with a rubber mallet. This allowed are more flush fit at the cab. Solid cover and looks nice in my opinion.
We have the same truck and I've looked at their website, my question is how
does the cover bolt up on the factory support brackets in front.

Thanks.

Scottygolf

Reaction score
outside of the 6 brackets holding the rail on the bed, the Sentry comes with a long bolts that slides in the gap of the corner brackets. A large washer is included and bolts on on the other side of the bracket pulling the cover down to the bracket. Was an easy install once you go the rails to sit right.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
outside of the 6 brackets holding the rail on the bed, the Sentry comes with a long bolts that slides in the gap of the corner brackets. A large washer is included and bolts on on the other side of the bracket pulling the cover down to the bracket. Was an easy install once you go the rails to sit right.
I hope to install mine in the next month or so, do you have any pictures?

Scottygolf

Reaction score
I hope to install mine in the next month or so, do you have any pictures?
Greenlawnracing - I stand corrected after taking a picture. The bolt head slides into the cover and the washer is on the other side of the rail (not the bracket). You access the nut thru the gap on the bracket

Attachments

• bracket 2.jpg
    bracket 2.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 79
  • bracket 1.jpg
    bracket 1.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 79

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Greenlawnracing - I stand corrected after taking a picture. The bolt head slides into the cover and the washer is on the other side of the rail (not the bracket). You access the nut thru the gap on the bracket
Thanks! Looks relatively easy.

I do not have BUG, but from what I understand the lack of rails will not be an issue

NorcalMike

Reaction score
I don’t, as I’ve already sold it.

basically, on the rails that get clamped on the bed there are two layers of weather stripping. I peeled back the first layer (foam) and trimmed down the second layer (rubber) about 12” - which is the length of the bracket. If you don’t, the rails will be pushed inward not allowing the cover to sit flush inside the rails. If you have any questions, pm me a pic of the rails I can circle where to trim
Got mine installed yesterday. Didn’t trim anything. If we ever take it off it will take some finagling to get it back in but it’s fine. Doubt I will ever take it off much.

Attachments

• 4D98A48F-0A49-45D7-87FF-2D83041509B5.jpeg
    4D98A48F-0A49-45D7-87FF-2D83041509B5.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 6AE9027F-D527-4346-9D1E-1D03FB2FDA54.jpeg
    6AE9027F-D527-4346-9D1E-1D03FB2FDA54.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 117

El_Draque

Reaction score
Installed the Truxedo Sentry CT today after my local shop told me that they absolutely could not order one that fits the MFT.... Ao i ordered it myself lol.. only thing is the instructions are unclear a bit. There is a plastic washer and nut instead of the big sliding clips, which is a bummer because i had to remove the clamps and re align the rails to get enough clearance for the nut to fit and in the future it will be difficult to ever remove it if i need the full bed. I also used scissors to cut the little rubber pads that sit between the end of the rails and the tailgate because if you open the MFT to the side it knocks those little pads off. Other than that im really pleased, it looks good and functions just how i expected and definitely works with the stock corner braces assuming you order the right part number (#1587016)

Attachments

• 20210727_170342~2.jpg
    20210727_170342~2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210727_170509~2.jpg
    20210727_170509~2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 73

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Installed the Truxedo Sentry CT today after my local shop told me that they absolutely could not order one that fits the MFT.... Ao i ordered it myself lol.. only thing is the instructions are unclear a bit. There is a plastic washer and nut instead of the big sliding clips, which is a bummer because i had to remove the clamps and re align the rails to get enough clearance for the nut to fit and in the future it will be difficult to ever remove it if i need the full bed. I also used scissors to cut the little rubber pads that sit between the end of the rails and the tailgate because if you open the MFT to the side it knocks those little pads off. Other than that im really pleased, it looks good and functions just how i expected and definitely works with the stock corner braces assuming you order the right part number (#1587016)
In the event that I ever get my truck back, i’m going to install the same cover. I imagine it will make sense once I have it out of the box, but do you have pictures or something else I can reference during my install?

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Got mine installed yesterday. Didn’t trim anything. If we ever take it off it will take some finagling to get it back in but it’s fine. Doubt I will ever take it off much.

I ordered the Undercover Ultra Flex too. I've the MFTG and the RamBoxes.
I had questions about the fit/finish and how well it worked with the RamBoxes - so I called the manufacturer. The guy was knowledgeable and honest about not knowing one of the specific questions I asked, (I respected the honesty), but in a YouTube video, I saw an install that addressed my question and feel confident. Doing an install tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks to everyone for posting your results. It's been very helpful in my choice.

NorcalMike

Reaction score
I ordered the Undercover Ultra Flex too. I've the MFTG and the RamBoxes.
I had questions about the fit/finish and how well it worked with the RamBoxes - so I called the manufacturer. The guy was knowledgeable and honest about not knowing one of the specific questions I asked, (I respected the honesty), but in a YouTube video, I saw an install that addressed my question and feel confident. Doing an install tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks to everyone for posting your results. It's been very helpful in my choice.
Liked the light included with it. Didn’t really need it with the existing bed lighting but it makes it even brighter.

Attachments

• 8C9E96AF-18FA-49A4-A71F-B2CE397DE6AE.jpeg
    8C9E96AF-18FA-49A4-A71F-B2CE397DE6AE.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 42

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Liked the light included with it. Didn’t really need it with the existing bed lighting but it makes it even brighter.
More good advice ...

I hope it's something I can add after-the-fact. Heading to bed, will check in the morning.

Thank you again.

Users who are viewing this thread