5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire/Wheel Dilemma for New Limited

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score

Raminit

Reaction score
This one:
some refer to it as 2", others 2.5"
only in the front for me

I appreciate the response and those are definitely on my list of mods - sooner rather than later.

I’m referring to wheel spacers + the Daystar strut spacers + running bigger tires like a 33 or ideally a 35 :) without rubbing
Do you think 2 inch wheel spacers would work?
I’m worried that the additional weight of the tires plus a wheel spacer will just be to much for the ball joints and I’ll kill my own truck not to mention void my warranty

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
I appreciate the response and those are definitely on my list of mods - sooner rather than later.

I’m referring to wheel spacers + the Daystar strut spacers + running bigger tires like a 33 or ideally a 35 :) without rubbing
Do you think 2 inch wheel spacers would work?
I’m worried that the additional weight of the tires plus a wheel spacer will just be to much for the ball joints and I’ll kill my own truck not to mention void my warranty
I went with non-LT tires to keep the weight down. 305/55/20 measures same as 33x12.5. If weight is your biggest struggle, go with 33 non-LT.
I'm happy with my set up.

barakutha

Reaction score
Dropping off big girl tomorrow morning to have Level links and Daystar spacers installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fidomac

Reaction score
My apologies if this is redundant. I've yet to order my Limited and I'm really struggling with what to do for wheels/tires. For many reasons, I'm leaning toward ordering the truck with stock shoes and replacing them when I get it. But I need some help/opinions on what to replace them WITH.

I like the look of 22s... but I want a wider sidewall. I'm not looking for an offroad look, just something a little beefier than the 285/45/22s. I've determined I'm looking for roughly a 6.5" sidewall. So... seems that means I'd have to go to a 35" tire, which I've seen mixed opinions about whether it would fit. I would consider a slight front lift but I don't want to do any other suspension mods. Will a 35 fit? Even it it does, will it look TOO big?

The other option is to go to 20" wheels - not my first choice (I'm not really sure why I'm marginally against 20s - a "status" thing??) I fear the 20s will look small, I guess. But, obviously 20s will get me the sidewall look I want and gives more options to get a tire that's bigger than 33 but not all the way to a 35.

I've seen pics of a lot of great looking trucks on this site.: 33s on 22s; bigger tires on 20s, etc. As you can tell, I'm struggling. Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for the therapy.

Fidomac

Reaction score
The only option I could find for standard Highway Tires on the 22 inch wheels is 275 50 22..... I bought a set online and had them installed and there was a noticeable Improvement in ride and slapping on broken pavement . I suppose this is due to the slightly higher side walls..... I believe the wheelwells would take a 285 55 or even 285 60 22.......... this also slightly affects your rear-end ratio but I have the 3:92 gears so a little higher gearing is fine with me

barakutha

Reaction score
Had the nitro RG 285/55r22s put on today. Not the best lighting in some, but I'll get better pics tomorrow. Limited 4x4, no ORP, front lifted ~1.5in with Daystar spacers and revel links.

Ive drove on em about 10 miles at Normal height so far, haven't heard anything rub.

I was concerned about noise getting a 10ply hybrid, but these things are super quiet. Ride so far is different but great, feels planted, minimal additional little bumps.

652804afac24d9a67921512b750a4bbb.jpg

797c6317b6b28cddef4f9d91be827daa.jpg

bf5bd4986f59295f420f67c3311d0cde.jpg

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I'm about to do this install..... what is the reason behind disconnecting the battery ? After putting the truck in jack mode shouldn't the system stay in entry/exit after you disconnect the air bags ?

Or is it just redundancy? Last time I disconnected my battery it took about 8 hours for all my uconnect control to come back online, which would include taking the truck out of jack mode. I'd rather not disconnect if I didn't have to.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
I'm about to do this install..... what is the reason behind disconnecting the battery ? After putting the truck in jack mode shouldn't the system stay in entry/exit after you disconnect the air bags ?

Or is it just redundancy? Last time I disconnected my battery it took about 8 hours for all my uconnect control to come back online, which would include taking the truck out of jack mode. I'd rather not disconnect if I didn't have to.
My installer did not disconnect the 12v battery. I didn't have any issues.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

There's no reason to disconnect the battery. Just put in jack mode. It will still adjust a tiny bit when jacking, but just a little. I've put my truck on stands when removing all four wheels for PlastiDipping w/o issues.

Post pics after you're done! ;)

LUXTRUK

Reaction score
I struggled with 33" vs 35" tires for a while. In the end, the weight of a 2
59dfb216f065ec7abdc0c0c90e1e006c.jpg
2" LT tire the would kill bottom power even with 3:92, Borla S-Type, aFe Stage 2 Magnum and Pulsar and a harsh ride ride in such an amazing new Luxury truck(Limited with/air suspension) that rides better than any Luxury SUV and super quiet. It's simply wasn't worth the cons. I bought this truck to be amazingly comfortable, quiet and great ride. I went with 22X9.5 25 offset and Nitto Ridge Grapplers 305/45 22=33X12.5 and it ride better than stock 22's, looks amazing, handles amazing, no rubbing, lighter than stock so power is awesome and is City MPG. I am more than happy. The 33's on a good looking wheel look plenty big enough. For a lifted truck, yeah 35's or 37's but for stock suspension the 33's are ideal. I've said it before, I get more compliments on this truck then anything I've owned and people always mention the wheels and tires. I'll be staying with size wheel and tire combo for future trucks down the road unless the fender Wells grow to a size that require a larger tire with stock air suspension.

Deezl

Reaction score
Just put Rebel wheels and tires on my Limited today.

Attachments

• IMG_20191003_120427_01.jpg
    IMG_20191003_120427_01.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20191003_120427_02.jpg
    IMG_20191003_120427_02.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 212

MTaylor

Reaction score
I’ll confirm the exact kit in the morning but I’m pretty sure this is what is going on.

182a85d17c19cf2818f1744d15afb263.jpg

I can post some more detailed pics tomorrow after install. The shop quoted me 3 hours of install time due to the fact they’ve never done a level on air suspension before and they want be extremely careful when disconnecting and reconnecting the the air line that’s on top of the strut.

@OUscott1 , just confirming this 2.5" leveling kit was the one you used. It is only showing available through 2018 models. Assume no issue on your 19? Also, did you choose the 2.5" to fit the 35" tires? Only asking as for the 2019, DayStar is only currently showing 1.5" leveling kits. Wondering, would the 1.5" be enough for 33" (or 295/60r20) ?

Is there a particular part number for the revel links?
Did you have a shop install it all or did you do any of the work yourself?

BTW, great looking truck! I love how it looks in all modes.

In2h2o

Reaction score
I was able to get some pics today after calibrating my speedometer with the Rough Country calibrator. This has been a process but thanks to all on the forum who have posted their trial and errors. Without this info sharing, I would still be sitting stock and thinking about a work around.

I started off by ordering the Revel Performance Leveling Links. After tweaking them, I was able to get a significant amount of front lift but immediately threw a Suspension error message. Dialed the links down a bit and got the error to go away.

Unfortunately this compromised the ride quality more than I was willing to accept. Decided to go ahead and get the new rubber anyhow and eventually decided on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35x11.50x20. This alone added an immediate upgraded look to the truck and somewhat brought back the ride quality.

Yesteday, I finally had my local offroad shop install the Daystar polyurethane leveling kit that is suggested for a 2018 non air suspension Ram. This took quite a while since they had never ventured down this rabbit hole. Well, I'm here to say it was worth the wait. The ride quality is as soft as the day I took delivery. Here are the updated pics in all modes.

Entry/Exit View attachment 14041

Aero
View attachment 14044
View attachment 14045

Normal
View attachment 14046
View attachment 14048

Off Road 1
View attachment 14049
View attachment 14050

Off Road 2
View attachment 14051
View attachment 14052
View attachment 14053
Hey quick question..would those tires have been rub-free if you had lowered the links in the front to have a slight rake? I really need advise!

mehmet yucel

Reaction score
If you decide to go down the same road:

1. My links are set at 2.25” center to center at the female openings

2. Put vehicle in “Jack Mode” then disconnect battery prior to disconnecting the air line on top of the suspension.

Other than those 2 items, everything else was fairly straight forward.

Hey I am new here,
I am planning to go same way. My question is when disconnecting the air line from on top of the suspension, is the airbags leaking nitrogen?
after installing leveling kit did you bring it to the dealer to put nitrogen?
thank you

OUscott1

Reaction score
Hey I am new here,
I am planning to go same way. My question is when disconnecting the air line from on top of the suspension, is the airbags leaking nitrogen?
after installing leveling kit did you bring it to the dealer to put nitrogen?
thank you

There will be some leakage but nothing significant. I believe somewhere I read that you can disconnect the line up to 5 times before needing to recharge the nitrogen.

Good luck!

ny2az

Reaction score
I struggled with 33" vs 35" tires for a while. In the end, the weight of a 2
59dfb216f065ec7abdc0c0c90e1e006c.jpg
2" LT tire the would kill bottom power even with 3:92, Borla S-Type, aFe Stage 2 Magnum and Pulsar and a harsh ride ride in such an amazing new Luxury truck(Limited with/air suspension) that rides better than any Luxury SUV and super quiet. It's simply wasn't worth the cons. I bought this truck to be amazingly comfortable, quiet and great ride. I went with 22X9.5 25 offset and Nitto Ridge Grapplers 305/45 22=33X12.5 and it ride better than stock 22's, looks amazing, handles amazing, no rubbing, lighter than stock so power is awesome and is City MPG. I am more than happy. The 33's on a good looking wheel look plenty big enough. For a lifted truck, yeah 35's or 37's but for stock suspension the 33's are ideal. I've said it before, I get more compliments on this truck then anything I've owned and people always mention the wheels and tires. I'll be staying with size wheel and tire combo for future trucks down the road unless the fender Wells grow to a size that require a larger tire with stock air suspension.

Your Limited looks very nice.. l'm getting my new wheels hopefully in the next coming week and was considering the Nitto Terra grappler's and the Ridge grappler's... was leaning on the Terra's for a quieter hwy ride but like the looks of the Ridge grapper's better ... how's the road noise compared to stock with the Ridge grappler's on your truck ... thx

NJC1684

Reaction score
Your Limited looks very nice.. l'm getting my new wheels hopefully in the next coming week and was considering the Nitto Terra grappler's and the Ridge grappler's... was leaning on the Terra's for a quieter hwy ride but like the looks of the Ridge grapper's better ... how's the road noise compared to stock with the Ridge grappler's on your truck ... thx

I didn't notice much difference w/ RG's though they were put on after only 255 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread