5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire/Wheel Dilemma for New Limited

OUscott1

Reaction score
Today I had 35/11.50/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers put on my Limited with stock 20s. Zero cutting and no rubbing at full lock in forward or reverse. I have the Revel Performance leveling links, but tomorrow I’m having a traditional leveling kit install on top of the air suspension and using longer links to adjust my air suspension sensors. I’m hoping this will bring back the stock ride quality.
a0339f70821b1993db61ac45625a3429.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Savagescott

Reaction score
Today I had 35/11.50/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers put on my Limited with stock 20s. Zero cutting and no rubbing at full lock in forward or reverse. I have the Revel Performance leveling links, but tomorrow I’m having a traditional leveling kit install on top of the air suspension and using longer links to adjust my air suspension sensors. I’m hoping this will bring back the stock ride quality.
a0339f70821b1993db61ac45625a3429.jpg

What ride difference are you noticing with the links? How do you like the grapps? Ride? Road noise?

Can you explain more about the level kit you’re having installed?

OUscott1

Reaction score
Since installing the leveling links last week, I noticed it rode very harsh. Essentially the links put me at Off Road 2 while the truck actually thinks it’s sitting in Normal ride height. My stock tires were the Falken at/3 275/55/20 and weighed 41 lbs/tire. After installing the Nittos, I’ve noticed the truck did smooth out considerably but I’m attributing that to the weight and sidewalk of the new tires. The 35/11.50/20 weighs in at 71 lbs/tire.

The Revel links come as two sets. The back links are longer and since I didn’t use them to lift the truck, only level, I will use them after having the traditional level installed to correct for the sensor travel on the air suspension.

Pre Nittos is was sitting at 39.5 front and 39.75 back and now I’m sitting at almost dead level at 41 ground to center of wheel well. I can’t prove this but I feel like the truck is constantly adjusting the bags and leveling itself. Just my opinion.

Savagescott

Reaction score
Since installing the leveling links last week, I noticed it rode very harsh. Essentially the links put me at Off Road 2 while the truck actually thinks it’s sitting in Normal ride height. My stock tires were the Falken at/3 275/55/20 and weighed 41 lbs/tire. After installing the Nittos, I’ve noticed the truck did smooth out considerably but I’m attributing that to the weight and sidewalk of the new tires. The 35/11.50/20 weighs in at 71 lbs/tire.

The Revel links come as two sets. The back links are longer and since I didn’t use them to lift the truck, only level, I will use them after having the traditional level installed to correct for the sensor travel on the air suspension.

Pre Nittos is was sitting at 39.5 front and 39.75 back and now I’m sitting at almost dead level at 41 ground to center of wheel well. I can’t prove this but I feel like the truck is constantly adjusting the bags and leveling itself. Just my opinion.

So what other level kit are you installing?

Do you have a Pic directly from the side?

OUscott1

Reaction score
I’ll confirm the exact kit in the morning but I’m pretty sure this is what is going on.

182a85d17c19cf2818f1744d15afb263.jpg

I can post some more detailed pics tomorrow after install. The shop quoted me 3 hours of install time due to the fact they’ve never done a level on air suspension before and they want be extremely careful when disconnecting and reconnecting the the air line that’s on top of the strut.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I’ll confirm the exact kit in the morning but I’m pretty sure this is what is going on.

I can post some more detailed pics tomorrow after install. The shop quoted me 3 hours of install time due to the fact they’ve never done a level on air suspension before and they want be extremely careful when disconnecting and reconnecting the the air line that’s on top of the strut.

There’s a YouTube of a guy installing the same kit (I think) but not on a 2019. But I keep hearing the parts are the same. Very much looking forward to seeing and hearing about it tomorrow!

Savagescott

Reaction score

How did the install go?

OUscott1

Reaction score
Go figure! It’s pouring down rain and windy here. I was able to get a pic before the weather started though.
bc3acc2184857f8849518e5329db06c8.jpg

All 5 suspension settings are working properly and the ride is night and day better. Since this was the 1st go around with the local shop, it took them a little time to fine tweak the links for a level stance after installing the traditional leveling kit. The tech told me he finally went with 2 1/4” spacing on the Revel Performance links to bring the truck to level.

Weather permitting, I will get you some detailed pics tomorrow when I recalibrate the speedometer. I ordered the Rough Country speedometer calibrater and it was in the mailbox when I got home.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Go figure! It’s pouring down rain and windy here. I was able to get a pic before the weather started though.
bc3acc2184857f8849518e5329db06c8.jpg

All 5 suspension settings are working properly and the ride is night and day better. Since this was the 1st go around with the local shop, it took them a little time to fine tweak the links for a level stance after installing the traditional leveling kit. The tech told me he finally went with 2 1/4” spacing on the Revel Performance links to bring the truck to level.

Weather permitting, I will get you some detailed pics tomorrow when I recalibrate the speedometer. I ordered the Rough Country speedometer calibrater and it was in the mailbox when I got home.

Good info, awaiting more pics and any other details on the install. I bet @Accountant and a few others would be interested to hear about this!

OUscott1

Reaction score
I was able to get some pics today after calibrating my speedometer with the Rough Country calibrator. This has been a process but thanks to all on the forum who have posted their trial and errors. Without this info sharing, I would still be sitting stock and thinking about a work around.

I started off by ordering the Revel Performance Leveling Links. After tweaking them, I was able to get a significant amount of front lift but immediately threw a Suspension error message. Dialed the links down a bit and got the error to go away.

Unfortunately this compromised the ride quality more than I was willing to accept. Decided to go ahead and get the new rubber anyhow and eventually decided on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35x11.50x20. This alone added an immediate upgraded look to the truck and somewhat brought back the ride quality.

Yesteday, I finally had my local offroad shop install the Daystar polyurethane leveling kit that is suggested for a 2018 non air suspension Ram. This took quite a while since they had never ventured down this rabbit hole. Well, I'm here to say it was worth the wait. The ride quality is as soft as the day I took delivery. Here are the updated pics in all modes.

Entry/Exit IMG_6262.JPG

Aero
IMG_6264.JPG
IMG_6265.JPG

Normal
IMG_6266.JPG
IMG_6267.JPG

Off Road 1
IMG_6268.JPG
IMG_6269.JPG

Off Road 2
IMG_6269.JPG
IMG_6271.JPG
IMG_6272.JPG

Savagescott

Reaction score
I was able to get some pics today after calibrating my speedometer with the Rough Country calibrator. This has been a process but thanks to all on the forum who have posted their trial and errors. Without this info sharing, I would still be sitting stock and thinking about a work around.

I started off by ordering the Revel Performance Leveling Links. After tweaking them, I was able to get a significant amount of front lift but immediately threw a Suspension error message. Dialed the links down a bit and got the error to go away.

Unfortunately this compromised the ride quality more than I was willing to accept. Decided to go ahead and get the new rubber anyhow and eventually decided on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35x11.50x20. This alone added an immediate upgraded look to the truck and somewhat brought back the ride quality.

Yesteday, I finally had my local offroad shop install the Daystar polyurethane leveling kit that is suggested for a 2018 non air suspension Ram. This took quite a while since they had never ventured down this rabbit hole. Well, I'm here to say it was worth the wait. The ride quality is as soft as the day I took delivery. Here are the updated pics in all modes.

Entry/Exit View attachment 14041

Aero
View attachment 14044
View attachment 14045

Normal
View attachment 14046
View attachment 14048

Off Road 1
View attachment 14049
View attachment 14050

Off Road 2
View attachment 14051
View attachment 14052
View attachment 14053
Thank you for posting all of this. It is such great news!

What tips, advice or “gotchas” did you hear from the shop? Would love to give my guys a little heads-up.

OUscott1

Reaction score
If you decide to go down the same road:

1. My links are set at 2.25” center to center at the female openings

2. Put vehicle in “Jack Mode” then disconnect battery prior to disconnecting the air line on top of the suspension.

Other than those 2 items, everything else was fairly straight forward.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Thank you for posting all of this. It is such great news!

What tips, advice or “gotchas” did you hear from the shop? Would love to give my guys a little heads-up.

Entry/Exit View attachment 14041

Aero
View attachment 14044
View attachment 14045

Normal
View attachment 14046
View attachment 14048

Off Road 1
View attachment 14049
View attachment 14050

Off Road 2
View attachment 14051
View attachment 14052
View attachment 14053
Is there a way to get some pictures of the spacers from inside the wheel well? Are you still using the links and just in the front? Rear is still completely stock?

Savagescott

Reaction score
If you decide to go down the same road:

1. My links are set at 2.25” center to center at the female openings

2. Put vehicle in “Jack Mode” then disconnect battery prior to disconnecting the air line on top of the suspension.

Other than those 2 items, everything else was fairly straight forward.

Were you able to you use the front links from the revel kit or did you have to use the rear to get longer?

You mentioned to shop took longer than expected to install the daystar kit. Was there anything in particular that gave them problems ?

OUscott1

Reaction score
It’s really hard to see but they’re in there.

facf1a43c542202520afb6ed14946e4c.jpg
3219e823534f0a8393447ac1ccbfe092.jpg
c0b0b2ba24874323874c94ad990523ea.jpg

What took longer than expected was due to the minimal experience they’ve had with the air suspension as a whole. Also took time to guess and check the length of the links to get level. I was able to use the front links only and couldn’t use the back ones because they couldn’t adjust down to the size needed to get truck level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online