5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire/Wheel Dilemma for New Limited

Jhaney

Reaction score
Did you have to recharge the air-ride after the disconnects?

OUscott1

Reaction score
Did not have to. I could be completely wrong but I’m guessing that when you put the vehicle in “jack mode” and then disconnect the battery, you’re good to disconnect the air line. I also read somewhere that you’re good to disconnect up to 5 times before needing the air serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did not have to. I could be completely wrong but I’m guessing that when you put the vehicle in “jack mode” and then disconnect the battery, you’re good to disconnect the air line. I also read somewhere that you’re good to disconnect up to 5 times before needing the air serviced.

Where is your shop located that did this?

Jhaney

Reaction score
How bad are the axle shaft angles in OR 1&2 with the puck lift? Any noise?

warmachine

Reaction score

The air springs do not have any valving in them that would retain the Nitrogen when the line is disconnected. Disconnect the line and you will vent what pressure is in the air spring. Jack mode is to prevent the suspension from trying to auto level itself. The proper procedure is to deflate the air spring being worked on back to the reservoir. If you placed the truck in entry/exit it would have the least amount of pressure in the system and would have the lowest amount of loss.

Savagescott

Reaction score
The air springs do not have any valving in them that would retain the Nitrogen when the line is disconnected. Disconnect the line and you will vent what pressure is in the air spring. Jack mode is to prevent the suspension from trying to auto level itself. The proper procedure is to deflate the air spring being worked on back to the reservoir. If you placed the truck in entry/exit it would have the least amount of pressure in the system and would have the lowest amount of loss.

Would the amount of loss be significantly, I.e. would you need to to recharge the system? If so, how would you recharge? Is there any way to clamp the line before removing to prevent venting?

warmachine

Reaction score
Would the amount of loss be significantly, I.e. would you need to to recharge the system? If so, how would you recharge? Is there any way to clamp the line before removing to prevent venting?

The lines are hard plastic and it’s highly likely clamping externally would be ineffective and possibly damaging to the lines. The system in recharged with a high pressure Nitrogen bottle like an oxyacetylene torch cylinder. It uses a special fitting and wouldn’t be something that could be filled with a tire type Nitrogen machine. I’m not sure how much of the system Airmass would be lost when disconnecting but you would run the risk of having to tow it to the dealer to be filled. You might be able to find a proper diagnostic scan tool ie Snap On that is able to command the Air Suspension Control Module to deflate the individual air springs back to the reservoir. If I were to do it without using WiTech I would lower the truck to entry/exit which would put the most amount of Airmass back to the reservoir that you can control yourself, then disconnect the battery before jacking the truck up in any way to prevent the truck from attempting to auto level itself. I’ve had my truck try and auto level itself on my hoist even when it was put into tire jack mode. None of this is a guarantee in any way that the system will perform properly after reassembling but it is probably your best option without a scan tool

IgorAfichuk

Reaction score
It’s really hard to see but they’re in there.

facf1a43c542202520afb6ed14946e4c.jpg
3219e823534f0a8393447ac1ccbfe092.jpg
c0b0b2ba24874323874c94ad990523ea.jpg

What took longer than expected was due to the minimal experience they’ve had with the air suspension as a whole. Also took time to guess and check the length of the links to get level. I was able to use the front links only and couldn’t use the back ones because they couldn’t adjust down to the size needed to get truck level.

Thank you very much for taking time and share all your information - big help to lot of people out here!!!

Savagescott

Reaction score
If you decide to go down the same road:

1. My links are set at 2.25” center to center at the female openings

2. Put vehicle in “Jack Mode” then disconnect battery prior to disconnecting the air line on top of the suspension.

Other than those 2 items, everything else was fairly straight forward.

Lots of discussion here about the potential nitrogen loss when you disconnect the air line. Have you noticed any I’ll effects? Did you add nitrogen back in?

OUscott1

Reaction score
So far, I’ve noticed nothing other than the benefits. Not sure to what lengths the shop took to preserve the connection or loss of nitrogen but everything seems to going well. Still taking things easy though. Haven’t been off road.

Calhj

Reaction score
So far, I’ve noticed nothing other than the benefits. Not sure to what lengths the shop took to preserve the connection or loss of nitrogen but everything seems to going well. Still taking things easy though. Haven’t been off road.

Thanks again for posting details and pictures. I just received my 2019 with Air Link Suspension and desperately looking to get this thing level so that I put some new wheels and tires on it. I do have a question with your leveling solution - Does the truck ride similar now to when it did before the change? In other words, does the truck ride any different since you made the adjustments? Thanks again.

OUscott1

Reaction score
Everything is still good. I’d say it rides better than before any changes but that could also be due to the grounded feeling it get from the new tires. These beasts weigh 71 lbs/tire. All together I’m very satisfied with the outcome.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm liking the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Are they able to go on the stock 20" rims.on the Limited with no lift and not rub? If so, what's the size and what are they rated? I will be pulling a 8000 lb trailer on soft sand July-Aug but then driving around town the rest if the time. How do they ride?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Calhj

Reaction score
Truck install done thanks to OUscott1 for the directions and links to his project. I used the same leveling parts and had 35x11.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed on a XD Monster Wheels. Anyone in SoCal looking to have this done call Daniel at Wheel Warehouse in Orange (714) 772-1281. They figured out the install - the truck rides and looks great. 2019 Ram 1.jpg 2019 Ram 2.jpg 2019 Ram 3.jpg

Huskymush

Reaction score
Nice! I usually work with Adam over there ...guess it's time to pay them a visit. You just used the revel links and Dayton level kit?
Truck install done thanks to OUscott1 for the directions and links to his project. I used the same leveling parts and had 35x11.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed on a XD Monster Wheels. Anyone in SoCal looking to have this done call Daniel at Wheel Warehouse in Orange (714) 772-1281. They figured out the install - the truck rides and looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread