5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire/Wheel Dilemma for New Limited

Savagescott

Reaction score
My apologies if this is redundant. I've yet to order my Limited and I'm really struggling with what to do for wheels/tires. For many reasons, I'm leaning toward ordering the truck with stock shoes and replacing them when I get it. But I need some help/opinions on what to replace them WITH.

I like the look of 22s... but I want a wider sidewall. I'm not looking for an offroad look, just something a little beefier than the 285/45/22s. I've determined I'm looking for roughly a 6.5" sidewall. So... seems that means I'd have to go to a 35" tire, which I've seen mixed opinions about whether it would fit. I would consider a slight front lift but I don't want to do any other suspension mods. Will a 35 fit? Even it it does, will it look TOO big?

The other option is to go to 20" wheels - not my first choice (I'm not really sure why I'm marginally against 20s - a "status" thing??) I fear the 20s will look small, I guess. But, obviously 20s will get me the sidewall look I want and gives more options to get a tire that's bigger than 33 but not all the way to a 35.

I've seen pics of a lot of great looking trucks on this site.: 33s on 22s; bigger tires on 20s, etc. As you can tell, I'm struggling. Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for the therapy.

wacked4

Reaction score
I would order the truck with the 22's. I think they look great and would be easy to sell if you wanted to change. In the meantime, keep researching tires for the 22"s

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
My apologies if this is redundant. I've yet to order my Limited and I'm really struggling with what to do for wheels/tires. For many reasons, I'm leaning toward ordering the truck with stock shoes and replacing them when I get it. But I need some help/opinions on what to replace them WITH.

I like the look of 22s... but I want a wider sidewall. I'm not looking for an offroad look, just something a little beefier than the 285/45/22s. I've determined I'm looking for roughly a 6.5" sidewall. So... seems that means I'd have to go to a 35" tire, which I've seen mixed opinions about whether it would fit. I would consider a slight front lift but I don't want to do any other suspension mods. Will a 35 fit? Even it it does, will it look TOO big?

The other option is to go to 20" wheels - not my first choice (I'm not really sure why I'm marginally against 20s - a "status" thing??) I fear the 20s will look small, I guess. But, obviously 20s will get me the sidewall look I want and gives more options to get a tire that's bigger than 33 but not all the way to a 35.

I've seen pics of a lot of great looking trucks on this site.: 33s on 22s; bigger tires on 20s, etc. As you can tell, I'm struggling. Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for the therapy.

I just received my Limited order and haven't taken pics yet, or gone through my settings. I had the same struggle. I went with the 20" on my order. Ram makes 18" wheels on lower trims, so I don't feel that 20" is sub-par. I plan on getting Nitto Ridge Grappers (305/55/20 in P rated tire - no P rated in 22" for this style). It has better weight rating than stock, lightweight and is a little bigger than a 33x12. It seemed to me that there were less aftermarket tire/wheel options with 22" and i liked the look of more rubber as well. I'm likely to postpone my tire/wheel changes now until spring (winter is coming) & will wait to see what kind of goodies comes out of SEMA.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I just received my Limited order and haven't taken pics yet, or gone through my settings. I had the same struggle. I went with the 20" on my order. Ram makes 18" wheels on lower trims, so I don't feel that 20" is sub-par. I plan on getting Nitto Ridge Grappers (305/55/20 in P rated tire - no P rated in 22" for this style). It has better weight rating than stock, lightweight and is a little bigger than a 33x12. It seemed to me that there were less aftermarket tire/wheel options with 22" and i liked the look of more rubber as well. I'm likely to postpone my tire/wheel changes now until spring (winter is coming) & will wait to see what kind of goodies comes out of SEMA.

I’ve been having the same thoughts about the availability of 22” wheel and tire options. And, recently saw a 2014 1500 with 275/60/20 and it looked good with aftermarket 10” wide wheels. I’d still like a bit more tire to fill the wheel well so maybe 295/60/20. However, have also since seen the post of another member putting 35/12.5 on the stock 22s with apparently no issues... it looks good. So I guess I’m still waffling.... Btw... I’m in MPLS, too.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
I’ve been having the same thoughts about the availability of 22” wheel and tire options. And, recently saw a 2014 1500 with 275/60/20 and it looked good with aftermarket 10” wide wheels. I’d still like a bit more tire to fill the wheel well so maybe 295/60/20. However, have also since seen the post of another member putting 35/12.5 on the stock 22s with apparently no issues... it looks good. So I guess I’m still waffling.... Btw... I’m in MPLS, too.
If you go with a wider tire, will you be also be interested in also going with fender flares? Wheel offset will play a role also, if you are going with aftermarket. I looked at the gallery on Custom Offsets website (our WI neighbors who happen to also have a very well done youtube channel). I personally am looking at less offset then stock for my aftermarket wheels.

Savagescott

Reaction score
If you go with a wider tire, will you be also be interested in also going with fender flares? Wheel offset will play a role also, if you are going with aftermarket. I looked at the gallery on Custom Offsets website (our WI neighbors who happen to also have a very well done youtube channel). I personally am looking at less offset then stock for my aftermarket wheels.

Thanks for the referral to Custom Offset. I've looked a bit at their site but not too deeply.

Not interested at all in fender flares. And with some of the encouraging examples of members installing 34 and 35" tires on stock suspension I've seen, I don't think flares are at all necessary.

rcbundy9

Reaction score
Here is my Limited with the stock 22’s and nitro ridge grapplers 33x12.5x r22’s stock height and only a slight rub when fully rotating the wheel View attachment 6741 View attachment 6742 View attachment 6741 View attachment 6742 View attachment 6743 View attachment 6744 View attachment 6745 View attachment 6746

Looks great! I am pulling off my 34.6 ridge grapplers and going with 33inch 4 ply. In the 305/45/22 Nitto does a 4 ply which is same as stock. I ordered the terra but keep going back and forth between the terra and ridge. I’m mostly City driving to went to the terra. Looks great man - enjoy!

TheTerv

Reaction score
I’m having the same trouble. I have a limited coming with 20s. Done see any lifts for the air suspension ?? Wanted to to get black rims because it’s a white truck. Any ideas

rcbundy9

Reaction score
Here is my Limited with the stock 22’s and nitro ridge grapplers 33x12.5x r22’s stock height and only a slight rub when fully rotating the wheel View attachment 6741 View attachment 6742 View attachment 6741 View attachment 6742 View attachment 6743 View attachment 6744 View attachment 6745 View attachment 6746

How do they ride compared to stock? I’m going 305/45/22 in the 4 ply but might need another option if too low profile. Taking off 285/55 10 ply

SMS Limited

Reaction score
I think they ride great, I like the wider more planted feel of them, I don’t think I compromised on ride quality at all.

LUXTRUK

Reaction score
I'm having this same issue. I've been looking at wheels and tires since before my truck came in. If my stock 22's were chrome instead of polished I don't think I'd be looking at wheels. Even though I have the color matched bumpers there is still a lot of chrome that just clashes with the polished in my opinion. Chrome with black inserts would look great with my black windows and pillars. The next problem is tire size regardless if I keep stock 22's or get chrome aftermarket. The 285/44 22 isn't enough on this big truck with huge wheel wells. I want 285/55 22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers to give the truck the meat and aggressive look it deserves. I'm finding mixed answers regarding fitment. I have Limited Air Ride and don't want to touch suspension, trim or cut anything either. Some people say they fit fine. I've seen a few online with 24's and 35" aggressive tires that actually look really good and they say fit is fine. I'm pretty sure I want to stay 22" though for the beefier tire. So will 35x12.5 22 or 285/55 22 truly fit air suspension with no problem?? I'm wanting to buy immediately and actually have a guy wanting my stock 22's for a good price that would completely cover the cost of the 22 wheels and Nittos I've been looking at. I just don't usually get ride of stock wheels but I've found it never helps me in the long run because I don't switch back and resale of aftermarket after several years is hardly anything. Please help! My Ivory "White Walker" needs appropriate shoes!

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forget about 22's; they don't look that much better than 20's.

Tire selection for 20's is a zillion times better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online