5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

Javich

Reaction score
I'd say that it's the same problem reported under warranty, and as yet still unresolved.

Don't forget, there is a class-action lawsuit for this fiasco.
Went to the dealer and told them that it was a problem that was supposed to be resolve the first time they replaced the whole frame. Im over warranty with 44330 miles now but they are looking into it and I'm waiting for their response.

saseve

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this forum - this is my first post. I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie from Carmax back in August 2022 - 34,000 miles. The manufacturer warranty of 3 years/36,000 miles was just expired based on time - not miles.

There are only 2 of us, so no one ever sits in the back seat. Several months after the purchase my daughter and grand-daughter were in the back seat during our first real rainfall in months (east Texas). They noticed a steady stream of water dripping on the back seat. It was the dreaded cracks in the frame of the back sliding window. Of course, the 3000 mile warranty was gone. So I found this conversation and have read it entirely. I am hoping I can get some more information from you experienced members.

I have put several tubes of flowable clear silicon into the small gap between the roof and the rear window on the outside of the truck. It did slow down the leak, but it is still there. I also took off the rear light and checked the seal. It doesn't appear to have gaps, but it is a bit more compressed at the bottom corners. Some have mentioned using something called marine gasket from Home Depot. I can't seem to find that. Could someone provide more info on what this might be. I would like to try replacing the seal on this light also.

Finally, some have talked about sealing the sharkfin. Is this from the outside, or have some removed part of the headliner to seal it from the inside? What would be the best product for this?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my questions. Oh, and btw, I agree that this should not be something each of us has to deal with on a vehicle this expensive.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

GMetal

Reaction score
Is the window frame being manufactured by the same company that made 2nd and 3rd gen Ram dashes?

saseve

Reaction score
For the 3rd brake light, here's a link to what some of us have used. There are probably other products which would work as well. But this worked well for me.

Thanks Mike. I will see if I can get some. When I was researching the issue, I came across a youtube video where Zip Tape was used to completely waterproof the 3rd light cavity. It is a short, 5 minute video. Have you heard of this being used before? Here is the link to the video

saseve

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I will see if I can get some. When I was researching the issue, I came across a youtube video where Zip Tape was used to completely waterproof the 3rd light cavity. It is a short, 5 minute video. Have you heard of this being used before? Here is the link to the video
Sorry, I meant toalso provide thelink to the tape product at HD - 3-3/4 in. x 90 ft. ZIP System Tape 5017100 - The Home Depot

Smerberj

Reaction score
Mine just started leaking on New Years Eve. It's currently at the dealership awaiting word on a good will repair because my warranty expired 2 months ago. Truck only has 28k miles, I hardly drive the damn thing and it just keeps leaking. (This is the 3rd leak)

saseve

Reaction score
Mine just started leaking on New Years Eve. It's currently at the dealership awaiting word on a good will repair because my warranty expired 2 months ago. Truck only has 28k miles, I hardly drive the damn thing and it just keeps leaking. (This is the 3rd leak)
I was finally able, today, to stop the leak!. I had pulled down the headliner in back and had water poured on the roof. There was no drip from the sharkfin, but water was coming in through a crack in the black rear window frame just above the window on the passenger side. So I felt the leak was either the window frame or the 3rd brake light assembly. So I worked on both of these. First, I took a suggestion from an earlier poster to use some marine grade weatherstripping to add a layer on top of the existing brake light gasket, which had been squeezed in the corners. Then, I added another tube of Permatex flowable silicon windshield sealant along the top of the read window channel from the outside. This was the 2nd tube and I went further left and right from center. This sets up in an hour and cures completely in 24 hours. I waited 2 hours and applied lots of water to the roof area. No drips! So, for now in appears sealed.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this conversation over several years - it is still helping others with the same problem.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My warranty is over as well. Chrysler Customer Care is helping me with the dealer. I have no expectations for a good result. What I am most pissed about is that this is a huge and known problem but they don't even have the parts to fix it. I'm on 3 weeks in the shop now. The part is "supposed" to come tomorrow UPS. Who knows how long it will take them to get around to replacing the part once they get it. It's an unacceptable situation and I don't think FCA should be rewarded for a problem this large.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's not something I've seen before. Theoretically is should work as long as the tape completely seals the opening. I think the replacement seal is a better solution. Or run some 1/8" butyl tape around the seal.

saseve

Reaction score
That's not something I've seen before. Theoretically is should work as long as the tape completely seals the opening. I think the replacement seal is a better solution. Or run some 1/8" butyl tape around the seal.
Thanks Mike. After I reviewed the video again, I saw that it must be from a different year than mine. The video shows a 3rd brake light with an open area behind and only 2 screws. Mine has 3 different small compartments and 4 screws.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Update: Dealership called and said they will goodwill the warranty work, $1600 worth. Thank God, this Bidenflation lately has been killer.

jakemyster84

Reaction score
Just dropped my truck off at the dealership this morning for my rear window defrost not working and also the dreaded rear window frame crack. My truck is out of warranty but have an extended warranty through Mopar so just hoping it doesn't take weeks to fix as my local dealership said they cannot give loaners right now.

Amazing93

Reaction score
Just dropped my truck off at the dealership this morning for my rear window defrost not working and also the dreaded rear window frame crack. My truck is out of warranty but have an extended warranty through Mopar so just hoping it doesn't take weeks to fix as my local dealership said they cannot give loaners right now.
Look at your warranty. Sometimes they allow for rentals.

jakemyster84

Reaction score
@RamCares just heard back from the dealership that indeed my rear window frame is cracked which is causing a leak and also took out my rear window defrost. The extended warranty through mopar does not cover this. This is a widely known issue with these models, why is this not cover? I am being quoted $1500 for a replacement for something that is a known issue and would be covered under the original 36/36,000 warranty but not extended, disappointing to say the least.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@RamCares just heard back from the dealership that indeed my rear window frame is cracked which is causing a leak and also took out my rear window defrost. The extended warranty through mopar does not cover this. This is a widely known issue with these models, why is this not cover? I am being quoted $1500 for a replacement for something that is a known issue and would be covered under the original 36/36,000 warranty but not extended, disappointing to say the least.
This thread (and the other one) show how widespread this issue is.

I'm sure you're aware, but I'll repeat it: there -is- a class action lawsuit filed about this. I don't know how to sign on or what its status is.

RAM needs to step up, or there will be thousands of customers looking for a bit more than replacement costs. It'll be cheaper for them to acknowledge the issue, admit responsibility, and offer repairs, regardless of warranty.

But, since their lawyers don't have to pay for any windows or for any loss in court, I guess we'll see how this goes.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
This thread (and the other one) show how widespread this issue is.

I'm sure you're aware, but I'll repeat it: there -is- a class action lawsuit filed about this. I don't know how to sign on or what its status is.

RAM needs to step up, or there will be thousands of customers looking for a bit more than replacement costs. It'll be cheaper for them to acknowledge the issue, admit responsibility, and offer repairs, regardless of warranty.

But, since their lawyers don't have to pay for any windows or for any loss in court, I guess we'll see how this goes.

Don't know how to join it yet but here's the filing: https://www.classaction.org/media/norman-v-fca-us-llc.pdf

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey @jakemyster84 ,

We regret to see the concern you're having with your window frame, however we'd love to submit a goodwill request for you. If you're interested, please send us a DM.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread