5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in Butyl Tape back there, but if you must glue it, use something like Dicor instead of RTV. It's made for that. Silicone will work loose and start getting moldy. The lights are not that tight of a fit. On those parts where there's wind, water and vibration it's going to work loose. The more "putty" like stuff won't.

Bgoodson09

Reaction score
Have been driving with a replacement rear window for 2 months now, through Virginia rain. Several big storms and ultra heavy down pours + garden hose testing and car washes. No leaks. Carmax warranty replacement.
That’s good to hear. I bout a 2019 2 weeks ago as a certified preown from dodge and I noticed the cracks and a lil bit of water coming in from it and on top of the rear seat. I’m hoping the CPO from the dealership will be as good and easy as your car max warranty is.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
That’s good to hear. I bout a 2019 2 weeks ago as a certified preown from dodge and I noticed the cracks and a lil bit of water coming in from it and on top of the rear seat. I’m hoping the CPO from the dealership will be as good and easy as your car max warranty is.

My CPO didn’t cover it here in Oregon. Might want to get a tube of caulk for the interim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bgoodson09

Reaction score
My CPO didn’t cover it here in Oregon. Might want to get a tube of caulk for the interim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually went through my insurance co with glass coverage. A close friend is a glass guy and was gonna do it for me. He got a mopar replacement window but when he started to disassemble the top of the window he found where the leak was coming from. Put a good sealant not sure what in the 2 places where the frame was cracked I’ve now gone thru the car wash a few times and no leak. Maybe I dodged a bullet.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I actually went through my insurance co with glass coverage. A close friend is a glass guy and was gonna do it for me. He got a mopar replacement window but when he started to disassemble the top of the window he found where the leak was coming from. Put a good sealant not sure what in the 2 places where the frame was cracked I’ve now gone thru the car wash a few times and no leak. Maybe I dodged a bullet.

That's what I plan on doing if or when my rear window cracks. I rather not do the invasive and expensive route that may not guarantee it happening again, when I can just spend $10 on some sealant.

MarcW

Reaction score
Well it finally happened the rear window frame has cracked and leaking bad so i make an appointment with the dealer ( Merrick Ram,Jeep,Dodge on long island) that i bought the truck from new 2 years ago now has 21,000 miles and i have the 8 year 85,000 mile extended bumper to bumper platinum to boot. I first noticed the leak and sealed the rear brake light with electrical tape and still leaked bad then i taped the top edge of the glass and bingo no more leak and dried out the seat and carpet. the dealer calls me today and says the leak was the third brake light so i mentioned the window frame crack again and they made out like this is the first time they have heard of it ( i know of 5 people with the same truck and 3 had the rear window replaced and the other 2 have their fingers crossed). the service manager said the the plastic that is cracked is only a trim piece and replacing it would not be covered under warranty. so after some attitude i will pick the truck up tomorrow and take up the fight with FCA but i dont expect much because they never got back to me the last time. View attachment 113948 View attachment 113949
Ram cares are you on here ?

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey there, MarcW,

We are on here! If you're seeking assistance with your rear glass, please send us a direct message. We'd love to help you with this.

Callie
Ram Cares

mike honda man

Reaction score
I am on my third rear window on my 2019 ram with 35000 km. WindowS have not been up dated to fix the crack issue they are junk

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what I plan on doing if or when my rear window cracks. I rather not do the invasive and expensive route that may not guarantee it happening again, when I can just spend $10 on some sealant.
but is the integrity of the window compromised with the crack? I know mine is cracked on one side and the crack is getting wider, not sure if silicone is going to hold up if the crack continues to widen over time. I skipped the dealer and went straight to a glass shop and have an OEM window on order since I'm well past the warranty. I did try a little silicone just over the crack it self and I still have a leak but didn't want to make reinstalling a new window difficult but filling it all in with silicone.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am on my third rear window on my 2019 ram with 35000 km. WindowS have not been up dated to fix the crack issue they are junk
Well that’s a bummer.

There is a Superseding part number for the rear window that comes on all the mid-2020 and up trucks that supposedly fixes the issue, are they just putting the same old part number window on each time?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that’s a bummer.

There is a Superseding part number for the rear window that comes on all the mid-2020 and up trucks that supposedly fixes the issue, are they just putting the same old part number window on each time?
I have 2021 truck. It's leaking in the driver's side corner. There are no visible internal cracks. I think it's leaking from a bad body/window seal. (I'll put a hose on it on Sunday; traveling at the moment.)

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the slider with a fixed window? I didn't know they offered a fixed window but I saw a big horn with a fixed glass. I love the slider window but might be worth giving it up if is going to continue to have issues.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the slider with a fixed window? I didn't know they offered a fixed window but I saw a big horn with a fixed glass. I love the slider window but might be worth giving it up if is going to continue to have issues.
There was another post where someone said they replaced it with a solid window from a 3rd party glass shop. I think I'd replace it with a slider if within warranty. If outside would consider a solid window instead.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey there!

If you are having any issues with your windows leaking, please send us a direct message so that we can get you some help!

Callie
Ram Cares

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last truck with a slider did not have air con, from 1987. I haven't used the slider on this truck except a couple of times at the beginning to see how the buttons worked. If mine cracks, I'd choose solid for price and sealing integrity.

The OEM puts out a truck that they balance cost to profit. The owner can replace failed sub standard OEM parts with the same, and expect the same results, or replace with better parts and expect longer life. The parts price seems to be a minor issue to the owner. I intend to keep this truck for 15 years.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
but is the integrity of the window compromised with the crack? I know mine is cracked on one side and the crack is getting wider, not sure if silicone is going to hold up if the crack continues to widen over time. I skipped the dealer and went straight to a glass shop and have an OEM window on order since I'm well past the warranty. I did try a little silicone just over the crack it self and I still have a leak but didn't want to make reinstalling a new window difficult but filling it all in with silicone.

That's definitely a concern, but the crack is already widened as far as it can go if you can see it inside the cab. The plastic top frame has already fully cracked at the two stress points. Not honeslty sure if it can get worse from there, you are just covering up the top crack so it doesn't leak water through the crack and inside the cab.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2021 truck. It's leaking in the driver's side corner. There are no visible internal cracks. I think it's leaking from a bad body/window seal. (I'll put a hose on it on Sunday; traveling at the moment.)
My replacement window developed a crack at the upper drivers side corner.

Attachments

• 173845 1600.jpg
    173845 1600.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 67

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
now my rear window
defogger doesnt work, fuse is good, unreal 56k 2019 BH 5.7 window replaced twice so far from window frame
cracks ues the two new replacements yea your reading that correctly im on my 3rd window no leaks but no defogger..it was working up until last month cant be the newest window..

Users who are viewing this thread