5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it ever an option to go with a non slider rear window if the slider window frame cracks? These frames are cracking because manufacture defect right? Poor choice of plastic blend. Is there a particular area of the USA these crack more often? Isn't replacing the window frame with another made from the same exact materials means the replacement will crack eventually too. I doubt these chassis and bodies are flexing to cause this issue. Urethane window sealant isnt failing on these. That's a proven material made by 3M. The plastic frame is failing. In all these threads are there pictures of these frames outside of the vehicle prior to installation? I can never find a picture online. Are there any techs on here?
Posted earlier that I will look even at aftermarket solid rear windows.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
In all these threads are there pictures of these frames outside of the vehicle prior to installation? I can never find a picture online. Are there any techs on here?
I remember someone posting a pic of his cracked window frame after it was removed. You could see the crack went all the way through from the inside to the outside of the window frame. It was about a year and a half ago though, and I don't remember which of these cracked window frame threads that was in. It might take a while if someone had the time to look back through those threads. It was about the same time as my daughter was getting the rear window replaced under warranty in her 2019 Rebel. I remember her warranty was less than a month from expiring, which would place it around July of 2021.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
im going solid rear window. they have never fixed the issue, ive seen guys on there 3rd replacement. in the 4+ years i have been on this forum i have never seen a solid rear window frame crack.

tcutlip89

Reaction score
Don't know how to join it yet but here's the filing: https://www.classaction.org/media/norman-v-fca-us-llc.pdf
Sign me up, my 2019 RAM Laramie has the stress crack in rear window and leaks. Now the truck stranded my wife and daughter the other day. Truck completely shut off while driving. Completely dead. Looks like RF Hub shorted out because of water leak down back side of cab where this electronic board is mounted. It has been towed to dealer in Woodstock, GA, been there 9 days with no updates. FML

-Tim

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sign me up, my 2019 RAM Laramie has the stress crack in rear window and leaks. Now the truck stranded my wife and daughter the other day. Truck completely shut off while driving. Completely dead. Looks like RF Hub shorted out because of water leak down back side of cab where this electronic board is mounted. It has been towed to dealer in Woodstock, GA, been there 9 days with no updates. FML

-Tim
Just realizing that people out of warranty will probably have to pay for the RF hub out of pocket, as well as the window - whoa, getting real now.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

-Tim
Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance while your vehicle is at the dealership, please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think a modification of the rear bulkhead is in order. I wonder how difficult it would be to add waterproofing, or water routing, onto or around the various boxes bolted to the rear bulkhead?

If I get another rear window leak, the moldy carpet is bad enough: I can't imagine the pain of having various electronics getting ruined, too.

Pull out the seats, remove the carpet...and then add silicon water channels/blockers and/or standoffs to the electronics?

Any thoughts out there?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance while your vehicle is at the dealership, please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares
I can see this being added to a dealer oil change check, at time of wash, to alert customers that it leaks, and that you need to take care of it to prevent the RF Hub shorting. There may be customers that don't balk at $1500 for the window and get it done at the dealer, increasing sales. Others may go aftermarket, but would at least thank you for the alert. Win/Win.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think a modification of the rear bulkhead is in order. I wonder how difficult it would be to add waterproofing, or water routing, onto or around the various boxes bolted to the rear bulkhead?

If I get another rear window leak, the moldy carpet is bad enough: I can't imagine the pain of having various electronics getting ruined, too.

Pull out the seats, remove the carpet...and then add silicon water channels/blockers and/or standoffs to the electronics?

Any thoughts out there?
And the customer shouldn’t be responsible for ruined carpet or electronics due to a bad design by FCA

St-na

Reaction score
Car wash gave a clear picture of the leak, I thought my hose test was good. Will see how dealer want to fix it. I an still under warranty.
It was 3d brake light. Even sounds stupid, because I had exactly the same leak on my '14, when truck turned 2y.o. Honestly It was the only issue I had with this truck for 7 years/140k. I mean, I still like my RAM and I am not going to cry here or trade it in for 4 cyl twinturbo F-150 or Tundra, because Ford supposed to be "pick up truck N1 in US'' and Toyota was a reliable brand 10 Years ago.

Last edited:

raygun9

Reaction score
i purchased my rebel late 2020 and just noticed 2 months ago of a water leak inside the back passenger side headrest area. i conducted the normal leak search in the 3rd brake light, shark fin and the sliding window and all checked good. i found the leak is coming from the right side window (see picture) by spraying water from the outside.
View attachment 148544

i applied very small amount of sealant from the outside between the small gap (see picture) & spread it evenly using a coat hanger.
View attachment 148545

i spayed water on it several times after 24 hrs cure time and have gone thru rain & several car washes... so far no leak.

What brand sealant did you use, and is it still holding up?

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
Also, curious what people think about putting the RFHUB in one of those waterproof cases... like this:

generally, i don't like encasing an electronic item in an air tight case due to temperature ventilation, but I'm not sure if that hub even gets that hot to require ventilation. also, if the leak is fixed properly, there shouldn't be any need for a water proof case, otherwise u would also need new carpeting, seats, & a way to remove mold growth if any.

just my 3 cents (inflation).

raygun9

Reaction score
generally, i don't like encasing an electronic item in an air tight case due to temperature ventilation, but I'm not sure if that hub even gets that hot to require ventilation. also, if the leak is fixed properly, there shouldn't be any need for a water proof case, otherwise u would also need new carpeting, seats, & a way to remove mold growth if any.

just my 3 cents (inflation).

Agreed, but based on other people's experiences the proper fix only lasts till the next window breaks. I just have mine replaced a month ago and am thinking about a temporary solution for the RFHUB for when it happens the next time. That being said, I live in MA and have 100% glass coverage so when I catch it the next time hopefully auto insurance covers it.

Users who are viewing this thread