5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

jakemyster84

Reaction score
Just FYI, I ended up having my back window replaced from the crack and had my auto insurance cover it as I have zero deductible on all glass so ended up being no cost out of pocket for it. But still this being a huge known issue it is quite disappointing that Ram has not done a recall yet.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just FYI, I ended up having my back window replaced from the crack and had my auto insurance cover it as I have zero deductible on all glass so ended up being no cost out of pocket for it. But still this being a huge known issue it is quite disappointing that Ram has not done a recall yet.
That’s good news. More folks should try going through their insurance company.

I really doubt they will issue a recall, as it’s not a “safety” problem. What they should do is extend the window warranty to like 10 years. Doubt this will happen either tho.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
i purchased my rebel late 2020 and just noticed 2 months ago of a water leak inside the back passenger side headrest area. i conducted the normal leak search in the 3rd brake light, shark fin and the sliding window and all checked good. i found the leak is coming from the right side window (see picture) by spraying water from the outside.
20230111_113121.jpg

i applied very small amount of sealant from the outside between the small gap (see picture) & spread it evenly using a coat hanger.
20230111_113104.jpg

i spayed water on it several times after 24 hrs cure time and have gone thru rain & several car washes... so far no leak.

Last edited:

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you pull that trim piece thats attached to the roof up, or just apply the silicone right there between it? My 2021 just started having the same spot leak as well. I'd rather not take it to the dealer if I dont have to.

GMetal

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of this part when its new before its installed?

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
Did you pull that trim piece thats attached to the roof up, or just apply the silicone right there between it? My 2021 just started having the same spot leak as well. I'd rather not take it to the dealer if I dont have to.
i attempted to remove that black trim on the roof, but when i was pulling on it harder than i would like for a plastic trim, it wouldn't pop out so i did a hail mary & just left it & applied sealant in the gap between the glass & frame.

i am tempted to apply sealant on the left side gap since I've read that it can happen on both sides. for some reason, that seems to be the weak point of the window frame. maybe weak weld joints?? metal flexing or vibrating degrading the seal??

Last edited:

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Talked to the dealership today and still no part. Two weeks ago it was on a UPS truck to be delivered on 12/30. Then last week it was on a truck somewhere. Now it's back to no parts. They think placating me is going to get me out of their hair. I have pre-paid legal. I'm thinking it's time to dial that number.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Talked to the dealership today and still no part. Two weeks ago it was on a UPS truck to be delivered on 12/30. Then last week it was on a truck somewhere. Now it's back to no parts. They think placating me is going to get me out of their hair. I have pre-paid legal. I'm thinking it's time to dial that number.
Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance with finding this part, please DM us. We'd be happy to get you connected to a case manager who can potentially assist with part expedition.

Callie
Ram Cares

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance with finding this part, please DM us. We'd be happy to get you connected to a case manager who can potentially assist with part expedition.

Callie
Ram Cares
You're already helping me Callie.
Thanks

St-na

Reaction score
i purchased my rebel late 2020 and just noticed 2 months ago of a water leak inside the back passenger side headrest area. i conducted the normal leak search in the 3rd brake light, shark fin and the sliding window and all checked good. i found the leak is coming from the right side window (see picture) by spraying water from the outside.
View attachment 148544

i applied very small amount of sealant from the outside between the small gap (see picture) & spread it evenly using a coat hanger.
View attachment 148545

i spayed water on it several times after 24 hrs cure time and have gone thru rain & several car washes... so far no leak.
Looks like I am facing the same problem. Hate to go to the dealer.

Attachments

• 20230115_195934.jpg
    20230115_195934.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 52

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
Looks like I am facing the same problem. Hate to go to the dealer.

frustrating!! i am at awe at the quality assurance inspection process that RAM employs & the lack of permanent fix to this problem. this is not some random gremlin issue that occurs when the stars are lined up a certain way. this have been happening for several years & still have no permanent fix & yet a lot of do-it-yourselfer figured out a very simple $10 fix to this issue.

keep an eye on that leak because I've read that right behind the back seat is the key fob module & when it gets soaked, you won't be able to start your $60+k truck.

if you are unable to apply sealant due to the wet & cold weather, i recommend to stuff some bath towels behind the headrest to save whatever electronics are behind the backseat & avoid destroying your interior.

Last edited:

St-na

Reaction score
frustrating!! i am at awe at the quality assurance inspection process that RAM employs & the lack of permanent fix to this problem. this is not some random gremlin issue that occurs when the stars are lined up a certain way. this have been happening for several years & still have no permanent fix & yet a lot of do-it-yourselfer figured out a very simple $10 fix to this issue.

keep an eye on that leak because I've read that right behind the back seat is the key fob module & when it gets soaked, you won't be able to start your $60+k truck.

if you are unable to apply sealant due to the wet & cold weather, i recommend to stuff some bath towels behind the headrest to save whatever electronics are behind the backseat & avoid destroying your interior.
Strange story. I made a very good hose test today and found no leak. Was trying to clean up old traces of leak, not so easy. Heavy stuff.

jonathanm8

Reaction score
Looks like I am part of the party now. Noticed mine was doing the same thing the other day. I am assuming it has been doing this since I bought it a year ago because other odd things make sense now, like water on the driveway from under the truck when it hasn't rained. I guess it is under the carpet draining out from this. I am getting this on the right and left at the same time.
Does anyone know how much of a pain it is to get FCA to pay for the window tint back on the replacement window? I have ceramic tint on the back so that stuff isn't cheap. Also I would like to keep the "RAM AIR Suspension" sticker on the back glass so people know it has airbags on service, etc. Do they replace this also? Guess I could ask the dealership, just wondering from y'alls past experience.

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 5.32.45 AM.png

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much of a pain it is to get FCA to pay for the window tint back on the replacement window? I have ceramic tint on the back so that stuff isn't cheap. Also I would like to keep the "RAM AIR Suspension" sticker on the back glass so people know it has airbags on service, etc. Do they replace this also? Guess I could ask the dealership, just wondering from y'alls past experience.

View attachment 149051

They don't pay.

I've kept my records and will use them when the class-action lawsuit comes down.

Smerberj

Reaction score
@RamCares just heard back from the dealership that indeed my rear window frame is cracked which is causing a leak and also took out my rear window defrost. The extended warranty through mopar does not cover this. This is a widely known issue with these models, why is this not cover? I am being quoted $1500 for a replacement for something that is a known issue and would be covered under the original 36/36,000 warranty but not extended, disappointing to say the least.
Man that's crap, I'd ask for a goodwill repair.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Looks like I am part of the party now. Noticed mine was doing the same thing the other day. I am assuming it has been doing this since I bought it a year ago because other odd things make sense now, like water on the driveway from under the truck when it hasn't rained. I guess it is under the carpet draining out from this. I am getting this on the right and left at the same time.

View attachment 149051
Yo, do you have the sunroof? That looks like the infamous sun-roof leak, especially if it's that heavy of a leak!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@RamCares just heard back from the dealership that indeed my rear window frame is cracked which is causing a leak and also took out my rear window defrost. The extended warranty through mopar does not cover this. This is a widely known issue with these models, why is this not cover? I am being quoted $1500 for a replacement for something that is a known issue and would be covered under the original 36/36,000 warranty but not extended, disappointing to say the least.
Hey @jakemyster84 ,

If you'd like us to look into this for you, we'd be happy to. Please send us a DM with your case number!

Callie
Ram Cares

GMetal

Reaction score
Is it ever an option to go with a non slider rear window if the slider window frame cracks? These frames are cracking because manufacture defect right? Poor choice of plastic blend. Is there a particular area of the USA these crack more often? Isn't replacing the window frame with another made from the same exact materials means the replacement will crack eventually too. I doubt these chassis and bodies are flexing to cause this issue. Urethane window sealant isnt failing on these. That's a proven material made by 3M. The plastic frame is failing. In all these threads are there pictures of these frames outside of the vehicle prior to installation? I can never find a picture online. Are there any techs on here?

Users who are viewing this thread