5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder how the windows are holding up in the TRX, I bet they crack the first time you get a little airborn and don't get the landing just right.

jonathanm8

Reaction score
Yo, do you have the sunroof? That looks like the infamous sun-roof leak, especially if it's that heavy of a leak!
I do have a sunroof but that wasn't the leak. It was the back window and the dealership replaced it a couple of weeks ago. They said this is a really widespread issue and they had four other trucks in there for the same thing when I dropped mine off. I was told the robot that puts the back window in doesn't check for air bubbles in the adhesive or gaps in the seal. It just stamps the window in not knowing if it was sealed correctly. I was also told this is a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Dodge thing with the back glass. The window swap definitely stopped the leak on mine and the dealership said they have never had one come back for leaking after it was replaced. I guess they need to put humans back in the factory putting these things in so they can look for that junk.

JCR1500

Reaction score
Just saw that my window frame is cracked...ironically while I was going through the carwash last night I looked back and saw the cracks but I have no signs of water damage. I'm due for an oil change soon so while they do the tailgate recall I will tell them about the crack. I live in NH so if there are any other NH or New England owners on here who have dealt with this please let me know how it went.

raygun9

Reaction score
Just saw that my window frame is cracked...ironically while I was going through the carwash last night I looked back and saw the cracks but I have no signs of water damage. I'm due for an oil change soon so while they do the tailgate recall I will tell them about the crack. I live in NH so if there are any other NH or New England owners on here who have dealt with this please let me know how it went.

I had this issue right after buying the truck... it was CPO so each time I got a rental but took them 5 visits (with multiple overnight stays) to find the leak. They did the sunroof drains first, the inner driver side door seal 2nd, they "couldn't find the leak" the 3rd time, replaced the back window the 4th time and the 5th time replaced the outer driver side door seal.

Based on my experience I would do your own water testing.. if the window is really cracked spray a hose at it and then lift up the back seats and pull up the carpet or feel as far back as possible. By the time you actually see the water on the carpet it has been leaking for some time.

Dadcpu

Reaction score
I am new to this forum so excuse me if I screw up along the line somewhere. I bought a 2019 1500 Bighorn Quadcab last February from a friend, well acquaintance actually. My 19 has 45K as of this morning and when I bought it it was just over 41K. Long story short this winter the front windows fogged with a thin layer of ice (condensation) so I dried it out then cleaned them, seemed to have fixed it thinking dirty windows and 1st year owned. Anyway noticed the rear floorboards were wet and starting to mildew when I went to install the under seat storage box. Took it to the Ram dealer this morning, he took pics and is going to make some calls to see if there is anything they can do for me. Again being 45K is probably going to kill all that but fingers crossed! The dealer who my buddy bought it from has always done the service etc BUT kind of peeved me off yesterday so I took it to this dealer. I had an appointment for 10:30 for them to diagnose the issue (at a cost of $160.00)...red flag went up. I called yesterday to confirm my appointment and she said I had to leave it for 2-3 days but I could rent a car for $65 a day...red flag again. I took it to this dealer at no cost for diagnostic bs, uh its two cracks! Anyway hope to hear in a day or so if he can do something for me, if not he was able to give me a price anyway, Why they have to replace the glass is beyond me because it is the interior frame but who knows?
I like the truck BUT I paid cash when I bought it so I wouldn't have payments.. uh yeah sure right.
I have been reading the forum since I bought the truck so glad you guys are here, hate why you are here but thanks for the great info. folks.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am new to this forum so excuse me if I screw up along the line somewhere. I bought a 2019 1500 Bighorn Quadcab last February from a friend, well acquaintance actually. My 19 has 45K as of this morning and when I bought it it was just over 41K. Long story short this winter the front windows fogged with a thin layer of ice (condensation) so I dried it out then cleaned them, seemed to have fixed it thinking dirty windows and 1st year owned. Anyway noticed the rear floorboards were wet and starting to mildew when I went to install the under seat storage box. Took it to the Ram dealer this morning, he took pics and is going to make some calls to see if there is anything they can do for me. Again being 45K is probably going to kill all that but fingers crossed! The dealer who my buddy bought it from has always done the service etc BUT kind of peeved me off yesterday so I took it to this dealer. I had an appointment for 10:30 for them to diagnose the issue (at a cost of $160.00)...red flag went up. I called yesterday to confirm my appointment and she said I had to leave it for 2-3 days but I could rent a car for $65 a day...red flag again. I took it to this dealer at no cost for diagnostic bs, uh its two cracks! Anyway hope to hear in a day or so if he can do something for me, if not he was able to give me a price anyway, Why they have to replace the glass is beyond me because it is the interior frame but who knows?
I like the truck BUT I paid cash when I bought it so I wouldn't have payments.. uh yeah sure right.
I have been reading the forum since I bought the truck so glad you guys are here, hate why you are here but thanks for the great info. folks.

Welcome...and too bad.

Being out of warranty, you'll be hanging your hope on a goodwill repair. For that, contact RamCares, found on this forum. Give them a direct message.

If that fails, you're going to hope that the class action lawsuit (one is underway) will include you in the eventual payout. (Yes, I think there will be a payout. This problem is too widespread and Ram has been a douchebag about stepping up and accepting responsibility.)

Finally, after the dealership takes 3 days to verify that a hose running against the top of the roof causes water to enter near the top of the rear glass...buy a couple tubes of permatex. That should save you ~$1,400.

Of course, the above may be moot: maybe the dealer will do the right thing.

Good luck!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '20 had the appearance in a crack forming in the interior upper rear frame, but never leaked water. My '22 doesn't have a crack or any signs of leaking. I think they've solved the issue in the most recent builds.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My '20 had the appearance in a crack forming in the interior upper rear frame, but never leaked water. My '22 doesn't have a crack or any signs of leaking. I think they've solved the issue in the most recent builds.
You would think so, but I wonder why some folks have their window changed and it happens again. Any windows put in as of now should be the newest revision of the part.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You would think so, but I wonder why some folks have their window changed and it happens again. Any windows put in as of now should be the newest revision of the part.
You would think so, I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago. It does not have those mold lines that end up cracking, but time will tell. That said I know Ram changed the glue that is used to install the windows at the plant which allows for more flex. Not sure if the glass companies that replace the windows are using the updated glue, probably not.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There's likely a stockpile of windows so even if a guy gets his replaced today the part used may have been manufactured 18 months ago.

Dadcpu

Reaction score
Welcome...and too bad.

Being out of warranty, you'll be hanging your hope on a goodwill repair. For that, contact RamCares, found on this forum. Give them a direct message.

If that fails, you're going to hope that the class action lawsuit (one is underway) will include you in the eventual payout. (Yes, I think there will be a payout. This problem is too widespread and Ram has been a douchebag about stepping up and accepting responsibility.)

Finally, after the dealership takes 3 days to verify that a hose running against the top of the roof causes water to enter near the top of the rear glass...buy a couple tubes of permatex. That should save you ~$1,400.

Of course, the above may be moot: maybe the dealer will do the right thing.

Good luck!
Thanks, I appreciate it! I think you may be right but hope like everyone else that they do the right thing. I do have a warranty but according to the dealer it probably won't help. I agree with the payout part IF it ever gets resolved. We have a LOT of other stupid things going on right now so not a good time (like it ever would be) for it to happen.

czduvall

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a dealership they went to in Michigan or Ohio to get the cracked window frame issue fixed under warranty? My normal dealership is not willing to do anything. I do have the Lifetime MaxCare warranty, though I know it doesnt guarantee repair.

Dadcpu

Reaction score
Alright update to my issue. I contacted a dealer here about two weeks ago and the Service Manager got it replaced quick. I dropped it off on Thursday and I picked it up last night, I paid the $100 deductible. The dealer was Pearson Jeep/Ram and they did the right thing IMO.

Richluck

Reaction score
I just noticed this same issue today after reading through the forums. One month left on my 3year/36,000 mile warranty and decided to check for any major issues. Sure enough, two cracks above the rear window frame.

A lot of people here have been saying to contact Ram Cares or FCA if the dealer tries to stiff-arm you (I'm expecting them to because, dealers). Not familiar with this process, can anyone tell me how to contact ram cares on here, or who exactly I should be talking to at Ram to make sure this gets covered?

Thanks
I am days away from my 3 year expiring and they are fixing it by Monday. Same two cracks. Didn't notice until recently but I have had an annoying air leak coming from the back seat so I am hoping the cracks were the cause the entire time. It would be nice not hear that crap especially on the freeway.

KG_Smoove

Reaction score
Any luck finding a dealer in the area familiar with this issue? I tried a few in MA and ME but didn’t find anyone.

JCR1500

Reaction score
No I have not brought it up to my dealer yet as I think Im close to finding where the leak is coming in. Just need time to pour water to see where it exactly is coming in.

Juicetoe

Reaction score
Have been driving with a replacement rear window for 2 months now, through Virginia rain. Several big storms and ultra heavy down pours + garden hose testing and car washes. No leaks. Carmax warranty replacement.
I just purchased a 2019 ram 1500 from CarMax in Virginia Beach. After two days of having the truck I noticed a water stain in the corner of the headliner above rear seat behind the driver. We haven’t had any rain recently so it is dry. Did CarMax give you any trouble about fixing your issue? Did they do it or have a ram dealership do it?

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
Bought a new-to-me 2020 Big Horn in October and no leaks. Then in early December after two days of constant rain, I noticed the headliner was stained, driver side above the rear seat. Damn. The local dealership "found" the leak and replaced the rear glass, no charge since the rear window has extended warranty. The replacement window was installed at the local auto glass repair company, not the dealership. I got the truck back and several days later it rained and it leaked again and stained the headliner. Took it back to the dealership, they rain-tested it again, and found the leak...again. This time they replaced the third brake, again no charge. It's supposed to rain for the next few days, hopefully no leaks. When the weather warms up, I will use a syringe and squirt some Permatex around the window just to double up on the waterproofing.

XKillerEliteX

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread