5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The apparently all too common water leak

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't understand why they couldn't have just had a sealed spot for the light. its completely open into the vehicle. I feel the engineers could of drilled a small hole in the body to run the harness through to the third brake light and used a plug to seal the hole.
you're just using common sense. You should know a lot of people out there fail to use common sense and want to WAY overcomplicate things.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a mechanic for almost 30 years I'd like to beat the living $h!t out of some of these engineers that design a lot of vehicles lol
There is definitely some truth to that. However, percentage-wise, there are just as many bad techs/mechanics/assembly-line workers as there are bad engineers. The crux of the problem is not engineers vs mechanics/techs/assemblers, the crux of he problem is humans, period, regardless of any way you choose to categorize/group them. I've worked with superb engineers and superb mechanics, and I've worked with maddening losers in both categories as well.

I got super lucky with my 2020 Laramie, I've had it 20 months and it's never been back to the dealer. Only flaw so far is the Ram Box lids are a bit warped, but they function perfectly and no leaks, so it's just a cosmetic issue. Like you, I'd rather not subject my truck to the dealership service experience unless it's a serious or costly issue, so I choose to ignore the cosmetic flaws of warped Ram Box lids.

Thank you for your thorough, accurate reports, very helpful. I hope your Ram disappointments are behind you and it's all smooth sailing from here on out.

swing4terps

Reaction score
I hope I don't jinx myself, but in case it might be helpful for those with third brake light issues. I've had mine off twice now (I believe I have the newer design) to install LEDs and replace a bad one.

Each time when reinstalling I've added a little of this to the gasket and have been good so far. It is the same stuff I use for my pool filter, which does well even under pressure so I figure it should combat even a lot of rain.

Didz

Reaction score
So I am now officially a victim of the dreaded water leak!! I noticed 3 water spots on the rear of the headliner where it meets the rear window. They are perfectly spaced out as well! 1 in each corner and 1 in the center right under the third brake light. I took my car in for its 39,000 kms service and pointed out the issue along with a rattling RR door speaker rattle and a couple of other issues. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome. My car is a 2021 Ram limited I purchased in March 2021.

JBV

Reaction score
So I am now officially a victim of the dreaded water leak!! I noticed 3 water spots on the rear of the headliner where it meets the rear window. They are perfectly spaced out as well! 1 in each corner and 1 in the center right under the third brake light. I took my car in for its 39,000 kms service and pointed out the issue along with a rattling RR door speaker rattle and a couple of other issues. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome. My car is a 2021 Ram limited I purchased in March 2021.

any news yet on how this is going? did they find the leak and fix it?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had two small leaks on the rear passenger side window. When I say small, I'm referring to only a few drops running down the window in a heavy rain storm, or after I wash the truck and spray soap out of the window channel. I took my '21 Rebel in for a fix and they said the 3rd brake light was leaking, so they replaced it. They were wrong.

I taped off the brake light to seal it and ran a steady flow of water over the rear window on the passenger side. I started seeing small drips on the inside glass, so I knew the issue was with the window seal, or where the cab roof trim attaches. I rolled up a small bead of 3M rope caulk and pushed it between the glass and the body, at the top. I made a mess with the rope caulk, but it cleans up easily with gasoline. I used a flexible card to push the rope caulk tight to the top of the existing window seal. This seal is below the top edge of the glass, so it's not visible from inside or outside of the truck, but it liked to stick to the paint. The gasoline made quick cleanup of this mess and it's completely invisible, but it appears to be sealed now.

The dealer wants to replace the window, which would cost me to re-tint it. If I paid a glass company to fix it, they said they could break it when removing and the cost of a new window would be on me. The rope caulk was the cheapest, easiest and best option for me.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
on and on and on, this incredible that the
common problm w
alot of Rams.. sad
in a way..

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
I had two small leaks on the rear passenger side window. When I say small, I'm referring to only a few drops running down the window in a heavy rain storm, or after I wash the truck and spray soap out of the window channel. I took my '21 Rebel in for a fix and they said the 3rd brake light was leaking, so they replaced it. They were wrong.

I taped off the brake light to seal it and ran a steady flow of water over the rear window on the passenger side. I started seeing small drips on the inside glass, so I knew the issue was with the window seal, or where the cab roof trim attaches. I rolled up a small bead of 3M rope caulk and pushed it between the glass and the body, at the top. I made a mess with the rope caulk, but it cleans up easily with gasoline. I used a flexible card to push the rope caulk tight to the top of the existing window seal. This seal is below the top edge of the glass, so it's not visible from inside or outside of the truck, but it liked to stick to the paint. The gasoline made quick cleanup of this mess and it's completely invisible, but it appears to be sealed now.

The dealer wants to replace the window, which would cost me to re-tint it. If I paid a glass company to fix it, they said they could break it when removing and the cost of a new window would be on me. The rope caulk was the cheapest, easiest and best option for me.
I fixed mine similarly.. I bought some betaseal u-428 plus sealant and applied a bead all across the top of the glass. It's not visible at all and the leak is now gone. My rear window frame got the dreaded sliding window crack in 2 places.. I feel the sealant is a better solution than replacing the window which will eventually crack again.. while i did this i also sealed the shark fin antenna (lowered headliner, removed the locking nut, and applied the sealant underneath before putting the nut back on), i didn't have any leak from the brake light, but i will do the same if it ever leaks from there.

2019Raven

Reaction score
I have this issue as well. Leaking at a crack in the plastic frame. For those of you who fixed this with silicone or sealant. How did you work around the brake light? Did you just tape it off or take it off?

Also, I can wiggle my shark fin. Should I also put a bead of silicone around the bottom of it. I have no evidence of leaking on the headliner near those two (brake light or shark fin).

Attachments

• 39DDC25D-10AC-40C7-96DC-3B55900F778F.jpeg
    39DDC25D-10AC-40C7-96DC-3B55900F778F.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 115
  • E59CC32A-1B39-4810-B3BA-914512E4A122.jpeg
    E59CC32A-1B39-4810-B3BA-914512E4A122.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 116

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I have this issue as well. Leaking at a crack in the plastic frame. For those of you who fixed this with silicone or sealant. How did you work around the brake light? Did you just tape it off or take it off?

Also, I can wiggle my shark fin. Should I also put a bead of silicone around the bottom of it. I have no evidence of leaking on the headliner near those two (brake light or shark fin).
If I'm not mistaken, I think you can access the shark fin antenna if you remove the 3rd brake light. I wouldnt use the silicone sealant on the outside of the antenna. Since you say the antenna is loose but not leaking, I would try to tighten first

fact mechanic

Reaction score
Put sealant across the back window today based on guidance from this thread. It’s supposed to rain all week. I’ll follow up with results.

2019Raven

Reaction score
With the information I gathered here, over the weekend I put PERMATEX® FLOWABLE SILICONE WINDSHIELD & GLASS SEALER across the back window. Let it "cure" in my garage for 48 hours. Drove it today to work in the rain. It seemed to fix the issue as I had no water leaking in.

2019Raven

Reaction score
Well I spoke too soon. I still have a water leak. Not from around the cracked window frame but from the headliner (headliner not wet though). Now suspect it is the third brake light gasket. I need to get a new gasket to replace the old one.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Well I spoke too soon. I still have a water leak. Not from around the cracked window frame but from the headliner (headliner not wet though). Now suspect it is the third brake light gasket. I need to get a new gasket to replace the old one.
Check the brake light and roof mounted antenna. Both are culprits

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
your
gona need a new window sir, mine was cracked theres nothing you can do, dealer warrantyd swaped mine out gave me a loaner for 14
days while waiting, @ 31k...

fact mechanic

Reaction score
Put sealant across the back window today based on guidance from this thread. It’s supposed to rain all week. I’ll follow up with results.
So round 1 did not work and still had water coming in. Checked fin and brake light gasket and those looked ok. Got a little more aggressive with the sealant yesterday. Rain tonight, so another update coming after that. This sucks by the way.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Greetings fellow leaky window club members. I have a 2019, with rear window cracked frame and window leaks, and got it to stop leaking by using window rope caulk, which can be found at most hardware stores. Just peeled off long strips and used a wood shim to press it in behind the window pane along the top edge. It took several lengths and just kept pressing it in, in layers, until I could almost see it level with the top edge of the window. No one but me knows it is there. Proucts like the following: Rope Caulk for Windows.png

2019Raven

Reaction score
As I write this post I have taken the truck thru a car wash and now driven highway speeds in a rain storm. So far the “DIY” repair of the infamous multi-source water leak has been solved for my truck.

This is what I did.
Used Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant. I also went to my local Lowes and picked up some MD Auto and Marine Rubber Weather Seal and RTV black silicone. I removed the third brake light and replaced the seal with the MD Auto and Marine Rubber seal (also replace the bulbs with Lasfit LED bulbs). I then used the Permatex to seal the entire top of the rear window. I put it on think around the problem areas. I taped off and used the RTV to seal the shark fin in place (just in case).

I am my own repair facility and will treat my truck as an owner and not just a job.

Users who are viewing this thread