5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The apparently all too common water leak

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Welp, my new $56k 21 BTS is about 2 month old and has 1500 miles on it and I got the water leak(s). Water seeping in from somewhere in the back of the cab. We had a nasty rain storm here the past couple days and got literally like 7 inches of rain in a 36 hour period. With all the Walter leak talk in the forums I decided to check my carpet. Up, its damp. I'm gonna take the seat out this weekend to do the back seat mod so I'm gonna start peeking around. I know the 4 major leaks, the roof antenna, rear sliding window, high mount brake light or the vents. I dive in first because I cant stand leaving it at the dealer. I'll see what I come up with

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
My '19 is in for that and a few other problems at the moment. Was told it was the 3rd brake light gasket.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Update....
I took the rear seat out this morning along with the rear interior panel and everything was dry as a bone. As I mentioned in my original post, we had torrential downpours and wind the past couple days but yesterday and today are absolutely gorgeous so it had a day to dry. I got out the garden hose and started blasting everything. I hit the roof mounted antenna, high mount brake light, rear sliding window and cab vents. I know it doesn't compare to the nasty rain we had for a couple days but I found no water leaking in. The head liner is dry the rear window seals are dry and I couldn't see any water from the brake light. I didnt even see any water around the cab vent. I did however notice some water droplets beading up at the vent flappers under direct blasts. I'm assuming that is what happened with the wind and downpours. Here's a short little clip of what I'm talking about.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Mine leaks around the 3rd brake light (LED/Camera version for digital mirror). The design is not very good because it doesn't create a tight seal. I removed it and reinstalled. I'm just waiting for the dealership to get the part in and replace it but I know it's just a gasket issue. I'm going to ask to keep the old one if I can. At least as a backup.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Well it rained again yesterday and again I have water under the back seat. I took the 3rd brake light out only to find that it was sealed up pretty good as I had to pry it off. I was able to reach in a little and feel around and the roof mounted antenna and headliner is dry. Last week I sprayed the crap out of the cab vents and only a couple droplets were seen on the flappers so I'm thinking it's the rear sliding window that's leaking. I'll be making a call to the dealer to set up an appointment

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I know this was and is a common problem on the 2019 Ram 1500 trucks. But I was under the impression all these little "new model" issues had been solved by the first batch of 2021 trucks. Please let us know what they find out. :confused:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There were a couple reports of poor welds/body glue at the roof seams, might want to pry up the plastic trim and look for something there. Good luck as this can be a real pain, I thought my leak problems were solved (sealed sharkfin and replaced 3rd brake light gasket) but now I have the dreaded frame crack

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
There were a couple reports of poor welds/body glue at the roof seams, might want to pry up the plastic trim and look for something there. Good luck as this can be a real pain, I thought my leak problems were solved (sealed sharkfin and replaced 3rd brake light gasket) but now I have the dreaded frame crack
The headliner is dry as a bone so I'd imagine its not the shark fin or the high brake light. The only spot I can tell that gets wet at the back edge of the floor carpet in the center under in the seat. I have an appointment with the dealer 1st thing Monday morning

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I know this was and is a common problem on the 2019 Ram 1500 trucks. But I was under the impression all these little "new model" issues had been solved by the first batch of 2021 trucks. Please let us know what they find out. :confused:
Apparently not. The truck has a build date of 5/21 and I bought it 6/21. I have an appointment with the dealer first thing Monday morning and I will keep this thread updated as I am pissed that it's a $55k truck and this type of **** has been going on for decades now

GerryS

Reaction score
Since your water leak seems to be coming from the back of the cab, this info might not be relevant. My leak came from the front drivers side. If you park with the front end uphill, the water may be running to the back of the cab.

Gerry

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Since your water leak seems to be coming from the back of the cab, this info might not be relevant. My leak came from the front drivers side. If you park with the front end uphill, the water may be running to the back of the cab.

Gerry
I'm thinking it's not coming in the front because its literally up against the back wall of the cab but I will take a look before I bring to the dealer Monday morning.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Latest update...
I went to my appointment at the dealer this morning and they determined it to be the rear sliding window leaking. They told me they had to submit the warranty claim and they will call me when they know the replacement window is coming in so I can bring the truck back to them.

Grumpy37

Reaction score
Dreaded Frame crack? Where at?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My truck is a 2021 Limited. Same leak but it was not the sliding window, it was the whole window assembly. They replaced the whole window and its been perfect since then.
Yeah I probably should've stipulated that but yeah the window as a whole has to be replaced

Users who are viewing this thread