5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The apparently all too common water leak

Av1

Reaction score

Last edited:

Didz

Reaction score
any news yet on how this is going? did they find the leak and fix it?
Sorry for the extremely late reply guys, I have been juggling between work and personal health issues for the past two months.

The dealer did find the leak, turns out it was from the stoplight. They changed the light, gasket and cannibalised a roof lining from another car in their stock and replaced mine. So far so good!

WA-G

Reaction score
Anyone else find it funny that Ram Cares chimed in on this about the backorder break light but did not touch their design and material flaws? I was days out of my 3 years when mine starts pouring in on both sides. Despite only 21,000 miles. I will be trying the silicon tomorrow as I won't even both with any local dealers and their repair departments again. Thanks everyone on here for the tips!

Lalantodd

Reaction score
My truck is a 2021 Limited. Same leak but it was not the sliding window, it was the whole window assembly. They replaced the whole window and its been perfect since then.
It looks like I am having the same window leak at the go of the rear window in the passenger side. I am at 37000 miles and hope it will be coved under warranty.

Mommanord14

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but, can the leaks cause electrical problems? I’ve had numerous radio problems and now key fob and anti theft going off with the key fob in the vehicle. Key fob was tested and found fine. 6 month old ram 1500.

Butterblood

Reaction score
New here. Just registered to add to this thread. 2019 1500 Big Horn crew cab 34,000 miles. Driving home from work a week and a half ago my dash went crazy, wipers came on and RPMs went through the roof. Pulled over and shut truck off.
Couldn’t get it restarted. Called AAA for a tow, which was fun since the parking break was locked on. Got it home and waited a couple hours to go back out and try to start it. Which it did with just the check engine light on. Tried to drive it to my mechanic the next morning and got about half there before it happened again.
That’s when I noticed the back seat was soaked.
Got it to the dealership and waited.
Determined the radio frequency hub got fried from the water. Waited some more.
Found out today it’s the rear sliding window frame leaking.
They replaced the hub under my extended electrical warranty but said the window isn’t covered and suggested I call Chrysler. Talked to them today and was told since I’m the second owner (bought it as a lease trade in with 14,000 miles on it) that I’m SOL.
So now the hub is replaced and the dealership is saying they’re going to see what they can do to get the window covered.
My last resort will be contact my insurance or pay out of pocket for the window. Dealer said it would be about a grand.
So that’s my story.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New here. Just registered to add to this thread. 2019 1500 Big Horn crew cab 34,000 miles. Driving home from work a week and a half ago my dash went crazy, wipers came on and RPMs went through the roof. Pulled over and shut truck off.
Couldn’t get it restarted. Called AAA for a tow, which was fun since the parking break was locked on. Got it home and waited a couple hours to go back out and try to start it. Which it did with just the check engine light on. Tried to drive it to my mechanic the next morning and got about half there before it happened again.
That’s when I noticed the back seat was soaked.
Got it to the dealership and waited.
Determined the radio frequency hub got fried from the water. Waited some more.
Found out today it’s the rear sliding window frame leaking.
They replaced the hub under my extended electrical warranty but said the window isn’t covered and suggested I call Chrysler. Talked to them today and was told since I’m the second owner (bought it as a lease trade in with 14,000 miles on it) that I’m SOL.
So now the hub is replaced and the dealership is saying they’re going to see what they can do to get the window covered.
My last resort will be contact my insurance or pay out of pocket for the window. Dealer said it would be about a grand.
So that’s my story.
how can the hub be warranty but not the window? its covered by the same warranty, 36000miles

Butterblood

Reaction score
how can the hub be warranty but not the window? its covered by the same warranty, 36000miles
When I bought it I paid extra to have all the electrical covered since it’s 95% of new vehicles haha. Otherwise the hub wouldn’t have been either. I was told it’s three year or 36,000. But it starts from the production date, which was Sept 2018.
Making it past the 3 year I guess? 🤷‍♂️

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Hello. 2012 roof leaking right rear quarter. Visible water stain. Damp when it rains. My guess is to remove the black trim piece on top. Any videos of how to do this without breaking trim would be appreciated.
Unfortunately I don't. The trim usually just snaps in with clips though.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello. 2012 roof leaking right rear quarter. Visible water stain. Damp when it rains. My guess is to remove the black trim piece on top. Any videos of how to do this without breaking trim would be appreciated.
2012 or 2022? i assume its 2022? if yes thats not reassuring

Spaz86

Reaction score
Add me to this list now too.....

2020 Ram 1500. Unfortunately for me I'm just outside the warranty with 43k. I may just try to raise hell at the dealership tomorrow, if I cannot pinpoint the leak.

Ram really dropped the ball with this one. They habe the TSB's out, and are even involved in a class action lawsuit now, but still wont issue a recall. It takes someone forever to come up with the $40k+ to buy the car, and they just say screw the owner......it baffles me.

I'm getting water under my rear rugs pretty bad. It's happened at least twice now, so I ripped out the seats earlier and I'm gonna take the back liner off, to see if I can find the culprit.

From what I am reading it seems to be one of 4 issues

Window
3rd Brake light
Shark Fin Antenna
Cab Vents

I also found there is a leak issue with sunroofs, however mine doesn't have a sunroof...

Note: I attached the TSB(s) for anyone having issues with a leak in the back. Hoping that helps fight the good fight.

I don't appear to have any cracks on the window, and my headliner is dry. The back panel seems to be damp, but nothing serious.

Under my 3rd brake light didn't appear to be wet, however there is a very small hard to see stain in the headliner in that area. I did replace the bulbs with LED when I first got it, so I guess it's possible.

The rug however, seems to be soaked. More so on the passanger side then the driver side, and more in the edges/channels next to the in floor storage.

My windows condisate inside the truck, which is what caused me to look for water. I did find when I pulled the weather floor mats on the rear, the passanger side was a lot wetter then the driver, and it appeared to be in the back more then the front. ...

Imma take it all apart tomorrow and waste $200 in water to find the culprit.
I don't really know if I trust a company to fix an issue that they know exists, but won't correct it without taking your money ....

If it's that much water, it has to be a decent leak

EDIT: I Got all of the rug and seats out along with the back cover of the back wall. I was correct, it is a sizable leak.

The passanger side was in fact, soaked. Driver side was damp but not nearly as wet. The carpet and pad was wet all the way up to under the back of the front seats.

Was able to pinpoint the leak in a matter of minutes. With a bucket of water I started pouring it into the channel above the back window on the passanger side and "TADA" water into the cab I also poured it into the 3rd brake light, it leaks in the same place. Finally I poured water into the roof rain gutter ...and......still leaking in the same spot. I don't have any viable cracks in my back window plastic. It's possible the crack is under the top piece in the corner, above the headliner....or maybe the window sealant failed in any case...It's coming from the channel above the back window on the passenger side back corner. (SEE ATTACHED PHOTO)

Thankfully I have mechanical breakdown insurance through my insurance company so it covers the known warranty defect.

I did about 90% of the work for them so all they're going to have to do is replace the back window, however because the 3rd brake light is also an issue, I may just ask them to replace that as well.

Right now I have the rug propped up with a fan blowing towards the rug. I also went to the dollar store and got some puppy pee pads, since they are absorbent, to help with residual moisture and water. In addition I picked up an Arm and Hammer moisture absorber to try and help. I replaced all the bolt so there were no open holes on the floorboard.

I will drop it as the dealership tomorrow as I have an appointment on Wednesday. I drive a semi for a living, so I won't be back for a few days giving them plenty of time to fix it.

Hoping they appreciate the hustle of doing all the work for them.

1/10/23-
It wasn't fact the back window. The plastic on the window frame was cracked all the way back in the C pillar on the passenger side.
They end up replacing the entire back window. All it all was about $1,600.
I ended up using my mechanical breakdown through Geico and it was covered.

She did tell me that there was 50/50 that they would have covered it through good faith since I was only about 6,000 over my warranty and it's a well-known issue.

1/12/23-

Got the car back about an hour ago and immediately took it to the car wash....
A car wash Bay ...not an automatic car wash....

Put the nozzle on spot-free rinse and let it run over the third brake light and in the channel for about 10 minutes with no leaks.
Will check one or two more times before I put the rug and back seats and everything back together, but as of right now it seems to be holding.

Attachments

• MC-10175564-9999.pdf
    124.3 KB · Views: 64
  • MC-10212516-9999.pdf
    387.3 KB · Views: 33
  • MC-10194060-9999.pdf
    102 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230102_130936.jpg
    20230102_130936.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Spaz86

Reaction score
Mine's also leaking in the back right corner. It is the back window channel.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Figured I'd give an update since I started this thread last year. After the dealer misdiagnosed the rear slider leak and then replaced a cab vent, fortunately the truck is still water tight. I still however feel around under the back seat after it rains to make sure it's still dry though. Knock on wood lol

Spaz86

Reaction score
Figured I'd give an update since I started this thread last year. After the dealer misdiagnosed the rear slider leak and then replaced a cab vent, fortunately the truck is still water tight. I still however feel around under the back seat after it rains to make sure it's still dry though. Knock on wood lol
I wish this was my issue. Then again it's never easy....

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Add me to this list now too.....

2020 Ram 1500. Unfortunately for me I'm just outside the warranty with 43k. I may just try to raise hell at the dealership tomorrow, if I cannot pinpoint the leak.

Ram really dropped the ball with this one. They habe the TSB's out, and are even involved in a class action lawsuit now, but still wont issue a recall. It takes someone forever to come up with the $40k+ to buy the car, and they just say screw the owner......it baffles me.

I'm getting water under my rear rugs pretty bad. It's happened at least twice now, so I ripped out the seats earlier and I'm gonna take the back liner off, to see if I can find the culprit.

From what I am reading it seems to be one of 4 issues

Window
3rd Brake light
Shark Fin Antenna
Cab Vents

I also found there is a leak issue with sunroofs, however mine doesn't have a sunroof...

Note: I attached the TSB(s) for anyone having issues with a leak in the back. Hoping that helps fight the good fight.

I don't appear to have any cracks on the window, and my headliner is dry. The back panel seems to be damp, but nothing serious.

Under my 3rd brake light didn't appear to be wet, however there is a very small hard to see stain in the headliner in that area. I did replace the bulbs with LED when I first got it, so I guess it's possible.

The rug however, seems to be soaked. More so on the passanger side then the driver side, and more in the edges/channels next to the in floor storage.

My windows condisate inside the truck, which is what caused me to look for water. I did find when I pulled the weather floor mats on the rear, the passanger side was a lot wetter then the driver, and it appeared to be in the back more then the front. ...

Imma take it all apart tomorrow and waste $200 in water to find the culprit.
I don't really know if I trust a company to fix an issue that they know exists, but won't correct it without taking your money ....

If it's that much water, it has to be a decent leak

EDIT: I Got all of the rug and seats out along with the back cover of the back wall. I was correct, it is a sizable leak.

The passanger side was in fact, soaked. Driver side was damp but not nearly as wet. The carpet and pad was wet all the way up to under the back of the front seats.

Was able to pinpoint the leak in a matter of minutes. With a bucket of water I started pouring it into the channel above the back window on the passanger side and "TADA" water into the cab I also poured it into the 3rd brake light, it leaks in the same place. Finally I poured water into the roof rain gutter ...and......still leaking in the same spot. I don't have any viable cracks in my back window plastic. It's possible the crack is under the top piece in the corner, above the headliner....or maybe the window sealant failed in any case...It's coming from the channel above the back window on the passenger side back corner. (SEE ATTACHED PHOTO)

Thankfully I have mechanical breakdown insurance through my insurance company so it covers the known warranty defect.

I did about 90% of the work for them so all they're going to have to do is replace the back window, however because the 3rd brake light is also an issue, I may just ask them to replace that as well.

Right now I have the rug propped up with a fan blowing towards the rug. I also went to the dollar store and got some puppy pee pads, since they are absorbent, to help with residual moisture and water. In addition I picked up an Arm and Hammer moisture absorber to try and help. I replaced all the bolt so there were no open holes on the floorboard.

I will drop it as the dealership tomorrow as I have an appointment on Wednesday. I drive a semi for a living, so I won't be back for a few days giving them plenty of time to fix it.

Hoping they appreciate the hustle of doing all the work for them.
Hey there,

We're sorry to hear about your concerns with your truck. If you need some assistance while your vehicle is at the dealership, please direct message us so we can get a case started for you.

Callie
Ram Cares

Spaz86

Reaction score
Hey there,

We're sorry to hear about your concerns with your truck. If you need some assistance while your vehicle is at the dealership, please direct message us so we can get a case started for you.

Callie
Ram Cares
Hello Ram cares,

I think I speak for most if not all RAM owners who have this issue when I say,

While I appreciate the help, I feel that at the same time if Ram truly cared, they would have issued either a recall to fix said issue, or filed their TSB's with the NHSTA.
This is far from being a new issue, and has been known for some time. From the information I have gathered it seems like there are multiple leak issues with the 5TH Gen Rams, all of which if out of warranty the consumer is stuck paying for. What set Ram apart from all the other companies for me, was the customer service and comfortability However, known issues such as this, that can cause safety issues involving, electrical systems, airbags and potential fires, should be addressed by RAM, and not taken lightly.
While it may cost RAM money to fix said issues, they amount it would cost RAM vs the consumer is far less.

I find there is really no excuse for not taking ownership and correcting a mistake, especially when its a well known one, on a $55K+ investment, that is only 2 years old.

With that said , I will send you a direct message. I appreciate your reply.

Squatch79

Reaction score
I joined the club yesterday afternoon after a monsoon rain here in Alabama. Weird thing is that my frame is not cracked. It is leaking around the window frame around the passenger side "C" pillar. The top corner of my seatback was damp and I had a few droplets on the C pillar trim. Took it into the dealership this morning and got a ticket started. They apparently have a windshield replacement company under contract with the local RAM dealerships. They stated that he would pressurize the cabin and find the leak and seal it up. I'm thinking it may be the drip seals on the roof. Seems to be too far away from the shark fin and 3rd brake light for them to be the culprit. Since mines an E-Torque I'd like to get it taken care of stat before it shorts out the battery pack. Also I'm about 142 miles away from my 36k warranty expiring.......

jbdrown

Reaction score
I am having similar problem but with a fun twist in that the water fried the power pack unit. I have 2019 1500 Laramie with about 50,000 miles. Check engine light came on so I took it to the dealer. They ended up saying that the power pack unit which is located under the back seat needs to be replaced which would be very expensive. They said they had observed water lines on the back of the headliner (I had noticed this too but didn’t think much of it) and that if water had damaged the PPU then neither Ram nor my extended warranty would cover it. After working it up they said that water was indeed the problem but they would take care of the PPU and I would only need to pay for the 3rd brake light repair (about $150). This seemed like an odd thing for them to do if it wasn’t covered but it was good news for me so I didn’t ask any questions. They said they would order the PPU. That was all good with me. However, that was 5 weeks ago and as of yesterday the truck is still at the dealer and they are saying the still don’t have the part. I find the whole situation to be bizarre. Any thoughts?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fix has been posted in another thread, but I'll update here also. If RAM doesn't warranty or fix the leak in the window channel, you can do it yourself. I bought a tube of PermaTex flowable caulk. It comes in a 6oz tube and is the consistency of corn syrup. I slowly squeezed the caulk into the top of the window channel and it quickly flowed into the channel. One tube should be enough to fix the entire top channel. It dries clear and with proper prep will leave no residue.

I chose this over dealing with the dealership because I've heard of others getting the window replaced and the leaks start again. There's obviously something wrong with the sealant being used. By doing it myself, I was able to retain my window tint and I don't need to worry about some tech scratching my interior due to being too lazy to be careful.

@Butterblood , The 3 year/36k mile warranty goes in effect the day the vehicle is 1st sold, not manufactured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/