5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The apparently all too common water leak

imus

Reaction score
Chiming in with 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn built 08/2019. We finally got some real rain where I live (the desert) and noticed condensation and a weird humid feeling in my truck. The rear window corners are leaking after hose testing, but currently unsure about the 3rd brake light. The dealership told me that they usually just detach the brake light and use an RTV like sealant to fix that. Unfortunately, because of the lack of rain where I live, I didn't notice this until 46k miles so I'm on the hook for the repair.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Chiming in with 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn built 08/2019. We finally got some real rain where I live (the desert) and noticed condensation and a weird humid feeling in my truck. The rear window corners are leaking after hose testing, but currently unsure about the 3rd brake light. The dealership told me that they usually just detach the brake light and use an RTV like sealant to fix that. Unfortunately, because of the lack of rain where I live, I didn't notice this until 46k miles so I'm on the hook for the repair.
That sucks but try your insurance company.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey imus,

If you decide to take this to your local dealership for assistance, we'd be happy to start a goodwill case for you. Please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

Khrissicks

Reaction score
Hey imus,

If you decide to take this to your local dealership for assistance, we'd be happy to start a goodwill case for you. Please reach out to us. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares
Greeting RamCares,

May you start a goodwill case for me?

Unfortunately, it just happened to my 5th gen ram with the heavy rain and I’ll be taking it in this Tuesday.

Attachments

• A90641C4-2D98-46F1-9C76-6ADD588A4C03.jpeg
    A90641C4-2D98-46F1-9C76-6ADD588A4C03.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 66

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greeting RamCares,

Unfortunately, it just happened to my 5th gen ram with the heavy rain and I’ll be taking it in this Tuesday.
i beleive you have to go to the dealer first, if the dealer refuse to put it on warranty (goodwill) then you can ask ramcare to help.

also i think it has to be in the system (not just refusing by voice) otherwise ramcare wont see it

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Greeting RamCares,

Hello,

If you can please send us a PM, our team would be happy to assist. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I would chine in....2019 Model I just traded in was a Laramie no sun roof had 63k on it and traded for 2023 Laramie. had no leaks with the 2019 at all. None with the 2023 yet but will looking for it. Both Trucks were options nearly the same.

Khrissicks

Reaction score
i beleive you have to go to the dealer first, if the dealer refuse to put it on warranty (goodwill) then you can ask ramcare to help.

also i think it has to be in the system (not just refusing by voice) otherwise ramcare wont see it
Thank you, I’ll update y’all how it goes on Tuesday.

Khrissicks

Reaction score
Thought I would chine in....2019 Model I just traded in was a Laramie no sun roof had 63k on it and traded for 2023 Laramie. had no leaks with the 2019 at all. None with the 2023 yet but will looking for it. Both Trucks were options nearly the same.
Did you experience any problems with your 2019 at all?

Mines 2019. & it has already had a failed infotainment, failed driver side mirror motor, popped manifold bolts, and now water getting in through the rear window. 63k miles…

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you experience any problems with your 2019 at all?

Mines 2019. & it has already had a failed infotainment, failed driver side mirror motor, popped manifold bolts, and now water getting in through the rear window. 63k miles…
I had to replace two batteries in 63K both was replaced under warranty. The regulars battery that is. No other issues other than when I first got it a shock was replaced right front first 500 miles, dealer though transit may have done it. No other issues at all. I just wanted a new 23 with 5.7 because word is mid year or end year at latest the 5.7 will be gone forever. I wanted newer with low mileage start over! What a great truck this is my 6th Ram since 2002. I had one bad one and FCA bought it back with a smile. Great trucks for sure!

frisby5

Reaction score
I had to replace two batteries in 63K both was replaced under warranty. The regulars battery that is. No other issues other than when I first got it a shock was replaced right front first 500 miles, dealer though transit may have done it. No other issues at all. I just wanted a new 23 with 5.7 because word is mid year or end year at latest the 5.7 will be gone forever. I wanted newer with low mileage start over! What a great truck this is my 6th Ram since 2002. I had one bad one and FCA bought it back with a smile. Great trucks for sure!
I had a 2002 great truck very reliable , only reason i sold because i wanted 4wd. It only had 72k on it when i sold it last year.

bskubon

Reaction score
Folks, need some feedback related to moisture under the rear drivers side seat. After a major rain, noticed condensation on stuff like plastic bags I had under the rear seat, and pimple size water droplets on the seat metal frame on the floor, could not feel any water on the carpet. Well, took truck in today and dealer says it’s the third brake light. I did the new gasket fix couple years ago and see no water coming down the rear sliding window or on the headliner. 2020 Limited with rear sliding window. Any thoughts where this condensation is coming from and if dealer wrong about the third break light? I’m thinking it’s the rear vents - this common they leak very slightly?

Khrissicks

Reaction score
Folks, need some feedback related to moisture under the rear drivers side seat. After a major rain, noticed condensation on stuff like plastic bags I had under the rear seat, and pimple size water droplets on the seat metal frame on the floor, could not feel any water on the carpet. Well, took truck in today and dealer says it’s the third brake light. I did the new gasket fix couple years ago and see no water coming down the rear sliding window or on the headliner. 2020 Limited with rear sliding window. Any thoughts where this condensation is coming from and if dealer wrong about the third break light? I’m thinking it’s the rear vents - this common they leak very slightly?
There's a video on youtube where a guy checks the third brake light, the rear window, and the antenna for leaking. I would follow that video since it explains how to test with a water bottle and how to take off the head liner to check for water.

carlaj

Reaction score
There were a couple reports of poor welds/body glue at the roof seams, might want to pry up the plastic trim and look for something there. Good luck as this can be a real pain, I thought my leak problems were solved (sealed sharkfin and replaced 3rd brake light gasket) but now I have the dreaded frame crack
After spending the last year and a half trying to figure out where my leak was, after replacing the rear window (before they came out with the extended warranty to 150,000 miles) and the brake light(which now they have extended the warranty to 150,000 miles as well), come to find out it was the body seam under the third brake light. There is a huge gap where it looks like a rivet should have been and was never used. It's where all the panels come together. I feel this should be a Chrysler fix and I shouldn't have to foot the bill for this one.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After spending the last year and a half trying to figure out where my leak was, after replacing the rear window (before they came out with the extended warranty to 150,000 miles) and the brake light(which now they have extended the warranty to 150,000 miles as well), come to find out it was the body seam under the third brake light. There is a huge gap where it looks like a rivet should have been and was never used. It's where all the panels come together. I feel this should be a Chrysler fix and I shouldn't have to foot the bill for this one.
Can you post a picture of it?

Olegsr

Reaction score
Welp, my new $56k 21 BTS is about 2 month old and has 1500 miles on it and I got the water leak(s). Water seeping in from somewhere in the back of the cab. We had a nasty rain storm here the past couple days and got literally like 7 inches of rain in a 36 hour period. With all the Walter leak talk in the forums I decided to check my carpet. Up, its damp. I'm gonna take the seat out this weekend to do the back seat mod so I'm gonna start peeking around. I know the 4 major leaks, the roof antenna, rear sliding window, high mount brake light or the vents. I dive in first because I cant stand leaving it at the dealer. I'll see what I come up with
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew cab. I lifted up the front passenger side mat and surprised to see the complete bottom of the mat had beads of water? My carpet was soaked! I took it to my local Dodge dealer for repair. I was informed it was my AC not draining properly. They put the new AC on order. They told me it would take 3 weeks to come in and not to use my AC. I lifted up the carpet, ran a fan to dry underneath. It was bone dry and drove it in the rain. Was soaked again. I did not run my AC. I called and asked if they were 100% sure it was an AC problem and asked why my carpet became wet again? I was informed they did a 3 hour water check and did not find any leaks. So, AC replaced. I dried my carpet again, and drove in the rain with same results. Carpet under passenger side soaked. Took it back, they did another water check and this time informed me it's my back window? Looks like the dealer is Easter egg hunting! If it's the back window, why is the carpet in the back completely dry and front passenger floor board soaked? I'm being told, the water is following a wiring harness? Raises more questions, I park in my drive way with a slant. You're telling me water is flowing upstream? Anyway, They plan to replace my back window when it comes in. I'll keep you informed. With all the water leaking problems with RAM, I'm totally surprised layers are not engaged???

Reaction score
i want to request a non slider replacement when i get mine fixed.
i NEVER use the slider and it's trash. really am i the only one that never opens the window? all it dose is leak.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
i want to request a non slider replacement when i get mine fixed.
i NEVER use the slider and it's trash. really am i the only one that never opens the window? all it dose is leak.
I open mine when riding with the windows down m. It really helps with the reverberation in the cab by letting some of the air pressure out the back

Reaction score
I open mine when riding with the windows down m. It really helps with the reverberation in the cab by letting some of the air pressure out the back
if i have to keep it i'll try your method. i really never ride around with open windows. i'm a airconditioned gipsy.

Users who are viewing this thread