5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The apparently all too common water leak

RangerBayn

Reaction score
I am about to buy a used 2020 1500 Laramie quad cab, but noticed stains on the ceiling interior, both dirver and passenger. I've test driven many Rams , but this is the SECOND Laramie quad cab that I've noticed these water stains. Any reccomendations? Again, it's used but I'm curious if the dealer would back up their sale for at least a couple months on this.

Attachments

• signal-2023-01-10-204515.jpeg
    signal-2023-01-10-204515.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 64

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I am about to buy a used 2020 1500 Laramie quad cab, but noticed stains on the ceiling interior, both dirver and passenger. I've test driven many Rams , but this is the SECOND Laramie quad cab that I've noticed these water stains. Any reccomendations? Again, it's used but I'm curious if the dealer would back up their sale for at least a couple months on this.
It's quite obvious that the truck is or was leaking water. It could be from the roof mounted antenna, 3rd brake light or the rear sliding window. Bring to their attention and see what they say. If you're buying it from a ram dealer I'm very surprised that they would sell a truck with a badly stained roof liner.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

How many miles? It the factory 3 year, 36k mile warranty still intact? I would still pass on it, the fact that they stuck it on the lot with this very obvious stain tells me everything you need to know about this dealer. Don’t fall for the whole we”ll fix it blah blah if you go ahead and buy the truck crap. Then leave you out to dry when the times comes for the repair especially when it comes to fixing the headliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Probably third brake light if the stains are in the corners. Looks like the frame is cracked as well. Hydrogen peroxide will get rid of the stains, Permatex around the window and a new gasket around the third brake light should solve the leak. Also, if it's a 2020 the AC is probably sub par and will need a heater core shut off.

Might be best to skip this one, could be a drum of worms. Unless you use all that to your advantage to drive the price down.

Chances of them fixing it is zero.

Spaz86

Reaction score
I joined the club yesterday afternoon after a monsoon rain here in Alabama. Weird thing is that my frame is not cracked. It is leaking around the window frame around the passenger side "C" pillar. The top corner of my seatback was damp and I had a few droplets on the C pillar trim. Took it into the dealership this morning and got a ticket started. They apparently have a windshield replacement company under contract with the local RAM dealerships. They stated that he would pressurize the cabin and find the leak and seal it up. I'm thinking it may be the drip seals on the roof. Seems to be too far away from the shark fin and 3rd brake light for them to be the culprit. Since mines an E-Torque I'd like to get it taken care of stat before it shorts out the battery pack. Also I'm about 142 miles away from my 36k warranty expiring.......
That's exactly where mine was coming in.
If you're that close to the warranty they should honor it either way. Especially in good faith.
They had to replace my whole back window.

Spaz86

Reaction score
My post was updated with all the recent information. I hope it helps somebody in the future. I can't stand a fine information online only to realize the person never comes back and updates....

Squatch79

Reaction score
That's exactly where mine was coming in.
If you're that close to the warranty they should honor it either way. Especially in good faith.
They had to replace my whole back window.
Well they did honor the warranty on it and preformed a pressurized cabin leak test. They checked all body seams, shark fin and 3rd brake light and found no leaks. Prior to them doing this the truck was sitting outside in a torrential downpour with tornado warnings in the general area as well and they stated that it was bone dry before starting the leak test. The only thing that they could figure is that it could possibly be the 3rd brake light. They stated it could be pooling and running down the channel of the rear window and leaking in along the corner of the C pillar, but with no leaks found in the pressure test, they couldn't pin point it being the true culprit. They did state that the 3rd brake light has a re-designed gasket to prevent water intrusion, but part is on national back order and there is no timeframe of receiving it. I really wasn't sold on their findings so if I do happen to have the leak again, I'll refer back to this thread and more than likely fix it myself, unless the frame does crack. Knocking on wood that doesn't happen..........

NCLife

Reaction score
Where is the most common place to find water/moisture from the rear window leak?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Where is the most common place to find water/moisture from the rear window leak?
The headliner right above the rear window may get wet. Also may find that the water is making its way to the floor underneath the rear seat

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Normal, visible crack location, top of the rear seat backs.
Cracked corner, you could see water on the glass.

Attachments

• water on the seat.jpg
    water on the seat.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 173424 1600.jpg
    173424 1600.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 120

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure on the 2023s, but 2022s are reporting the issues still.
Can’t say I have seen a report of this on a 2022. Can you post a link to that?
I have a 22, and thought I was in the clear, so now I’m getting all worried and stuff

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can’t say I have seen a report of this on a 2022. Can you post a link to that?
I have a 22, and thought I was in the clear, so now I’m getting all worried and stuff
I have a 21 with only 16,500 miles, no water leaks yet that I know of just electrical issues! I have seen several water leaks with the 21’s though!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2019 hasn’t leaked yet. Idk if they ever changed the window since I got it used. Keeping a close eye tho

Users who are viewing this thread