5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The apparently all too common water leak

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
same thing, OG post get your window replaced, thewindow frame is toast dealer replaced mine
on the arm loaner
for three weeks while it was on back order

My truck is a 2021 Limited. Same leak but it was not the sliding window, it was the whole window assembly. They replaced the whole window and its been perfect since then.

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I recently created a thread on my window leak situation. They caulked the f@cking window!!
d6c4f45c495e95aab68175e36aa0b0d7.jpg

Klicht87

Reaction score
Well, the dealer replaced my third brake light today (light with the camera for the digital mirror). I asked how the design changed and the technician mentioned the gasket is different/bigger...we will see how this goes. I know most people would go to home depot and get new gasket material and it seems to work, but my truck is still under warranty so I let them deal with it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Another update...
I got a call from the dealer earlier today and they said, now get this, "it was approved to be replaced". Lol. No $h!t really? Literally a brand new truck with 1500 miles on it and it was approved to fix a hereditary problem that goes back up to 10 years? You dont say! Anyway, now I'm waiting to get a date to drop it off so it can be replaced

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I got another call from the dealer yesterday saying the rear slider came in and I have an appointment for the 1st week of October to get it installed. They said they could not get me in any sooner because I need a loaner vehicle while they have mine. Anyway, the appointment is made

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I dropped the truck off this morning for the window replacement. They called me this evening and said it's done. I told them I'll pick it up tomorrow because its currently raining out so we can see if it's actually fixed I'm the morning. I told the lady if my back seat is floating again then I'm keeping their loaner until it my $60k truck stays dry. We'll see what happens when I pick it up in the morning

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Update...
I went this morning to pick the truck up after it rained lastnight. I brought the guy out to the truck to have him feel under the back seat for water and low and behold his hand got wet. I told him I'm keeping their loaner vehicle until they can keep my truck dry. We'll see what happens now

Klicht87

Reaction score
Update...
I went this morning to pick the truck up after it rained lastnight. I brought the guy out to the truck to have him feel under the back seat for water and low and behold his hand got wet. I told him I'm keeping their loaner vehicle until they can keep my truck dry. We'll see what happens now
So you had the window replaced and the floor is still wet. I had a wet headliner because my 3rd brake light was leaking (the LED camera version). That doesn't seem to be your case. Stupid question and I'm not sure if you posted earlier in the thread about that vent panel behind the seats...could that be installed upside down? so any water dripping down between your cab and the bed goes right into the cab? Just some thoughts...

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
So you had the window replaced and the floor is still wet. I had a wet headliner because my 3rd brake light was leaking (the LED camera version). That doesn't seem to be your case. Stupid question and I'm not sure if you posted earlier in the thread about that vent panel behind the seats...could that be installed upside down? so any water dripping down between your cab and the bed goes right into the cab? Just some thoughts...
Yes the slider was replaced and water is still getting into the cab somehow. I wasnt convinced it was actually the sliding window but the dealer said it was so they replaced it. Obviously it was not the problem. The guy today mentioned the shark fin antenna and the 3rd brake light. Again I am not convinced they are the problem as the head liner is dry. I believe it is a cab vent issue. I know for a fact that the cab vents are installed correctly because I personally took the seat out to investigate it myself before I brought it to the dealer and saw them with my own two eyes. 20210903_092126.jpg

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Update...
Hi Rlaf75,
We're very sorry to hear you've been experiencing this concern. If you'd like any additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Ram Cares

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Hi Rlaf75,
We're very sorry to hear you've been experiencing this concern. If you'd like any additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Ram Cares
The dealer just contacted me and they are now confident that it is a cab vent leaking. I will be picking the truck up tomorrow after they replace the vent. If this does not take care of the problem I will be contacting you

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I just picked the truck back up from the dealer after having to leave it there after they replaced the rear slider. This time he told me that they took the back seat out and diagnosed one of the cab vents causing the leak. He told me that the seal on the vent frame was folded over letting the water get through. I asked him to see the vent to understand what he was talking about (I knew exactly what he was talking about but I wanted to make sure he was on the up and up). He obliged and got the vent for me and sure enough the attached seal was folded over. It was not a new fold in the seal as it was creased and stayed in that position so I know he wasn't bs'ing me. Anyway, they are confident that there wouldn't be any more water in the cab and I'm hopeful myself. We will see within the next few days because its supposed to rain sometime this weekend. I'll update accordingly

Reaction score
I’m subscribed to this thread…I have the same issue with my rear glass with slider is leaking. I also have the cracked trim on the interior side
I have been noticing a musty smell inside the cab of my truck but couldn’t figure our how my truck was smelling musty .

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I’m subscribed to this thread…I have the same issue with my rear glass with slider is leaking. I also have the cracked trim on the interior side
I have been noticing a musty smell inside the cab of my truck but couldn’t figure our how my truck was smelling musty .
If you've read this entire thread you'll see it was not the rear slider leaking on my truck. After the dealer replaced the window they had to replace a cab vent. It hasn't rained since I got the truck back so I cannot confirm that it is fixed. My slider trim was not cracked but in my opinion that crack does not necessarily mean a leak.

If you're ambitious enough, get out the hose and start getting everything wet and feel around under the back seat. Under the driver side rear seat you can feel the metal of the cab where the floor carpet meets the rear cab wall carpet/panel. That's where I was actually feeling the water.

Hopefully the cab vent they replaced was the culprit because I dont want to keep dealing with it. As a motorcycle rider, I have never wanted it to rain this bad in my entire life so I can tell if the water leak is fixed on my brand new truck

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's kind of funny that you're waiting for it to rain. I would have had the dealer pull out a hose and spray water all over the back of the cab.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It's kind of funny that you're waiting for it to rain. I would have had the dealer pull out a hose and spray water all over the back of the cab.
They did and they said THEY are confident it's fixed. Being a mechanic myself, I wont be 100% satisfied until I see it firsthand. Before I brought it to the dealer I tried to locate the leak myself with a hose but could not. If it sat in the rain it would leak.

JBV

Reaction score
subscribed, with trembling fingers as i await my new truck. in coastal BC the monsoons are just beginning. my outdoor truck will be exposed to rain forest conditions for the next 4 months. water tightness is an absolute must.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
subscribed, with trembling fingers as i await my new truck. in coastal BC the monsoons are just beginning. my outdoor truck will be exposed to rain forest conditions for the next 4 months. water tightness is an absolute must.
Not all of them will leak so I wouldn't worry too much about it until you happen to notice something. As far as I'm concerned, these are still great trucks. Fortunately I have a good dealer I'm working with as they genuinely seem concerned about getting it resolved. They are a smaller dealer and seem more personable than most of the larger dealers I've visited before making my purchase. Dont sweat it. I'm sure everything will work out for you

JBV

Reaction score
you're probably right. however, i will immediately Lexel the sharkfin and use Blueskin window flashing in the 3rd brake light. that's if it stops raining for a few hours before next summer.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
you're probably right. however, i will immediately Lexel the sharkfin and use Blueskin window flashing in the 3rd brake light. that's if it stops raining for a few hours before next summer.
You do what you feel you need to do but be careful because there has been some mention of DYI "fixes" for the brake light and antenna not actually fixing the problem. I personally wouldn't mess with anything until you know its leaking. IF, something leaks then deal with it accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online