5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you want to tow a camper! Discussion thread.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A lot of the time its not the tread, it’s the sidewalls or the heat buildup inside the tire.

Ever notice the alligators on the highway? No I don’t mean the critters down in Florida, I mean the shredded recaps from tractor trailers that litter the roads and shoulders. Usually there’s plenty of tread left but they blew out/peeled off. Not always but often.

A post on “IRV2” from 2017 on tires: (www.IRV2.com)
So Called "China Bomb " Tires

Hello All

Been doing a lot of research on new Trailer Tires ( with help from the Forum ), since one of my 3 year old,factory tires suffer belt separation. I keep seeing so much criticism on China or foreign made tires.

The only American made trailer tire is the Goodyear Endurance, all others, even other Goodyears and Carlisle are made overseas. So if you have a TT with any other tire besides Goodyear Endurance, you have some kind of "China/Overseas Bomb " I'm sure there are some very bad China made tires out there, but, to me, the major blame should be on our TT manufactures. They put the bare minimum tire, that is running at, near, or over max capacity all the time. With time and any abuse failure is eminent . Off the soap box now !

My new tires will be D vs. the stock C, no E's in 14 inch. no matter the brand. (End of copied post)
Damaged 18 Wheeler Semi Truck Burst Tires By Highway ...

1621215126762.jpeg

Reactions: M2k

M2k

Reaction score
Yes, bare minimum. I bought my 5th used and the PO had a blow out on the passenger side. Major repairs needed. I replaced all tires with one load range higher radials. C to D.

My new 2015 wildwood came with bias ply tires lol radials one load up right away. Unfortunately still overseas brands but no blow outs yet! (Knocks on wood)

M2k

Reaction score
Nice, that new Tesla truck should be able to tow a 5th wheel 40ft triple axle toy hauler no sweat. Lol

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
No issues there at all with wheelbase vs trailer length. Can't quite see but doesn't look like there's a WDH either. All that jazz is overkill anyway.
Tip: To prevent excess drag on your car's drivetrain, back the trailer brakes off a few turns on the star adjuster so there's no possibility of early engagement. Rolls better that way.

blakei

Reaction score
Hell, the model X has a payload of 1,230 to 1,254 lbs which might be on par with some of the higher-trimmed 1500s! :D
Our Honda Pilot has about 1200 lbs of payload... but there's no way I'd ever hook up a TT to it v. a half-ton truck. Something seems to be lost in the payload debate... fundamentally a truck with body-on-frame and overall heavier duty components just seems more REASONABLE to tow with even if the payloads are the same compared to SUVs...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our Honda Pilot has about 1200 lbs of payload... but there's no way I'd ever hook up a TT to it v. a half-ton truck. Something seems to be lost in the payload debate... fundamentally a truck with body-on-frame and overall heavier duty components just seems more REASONABLE to tow with even if the payloads are the same compared to SUVs...
That goes for trucks too. Even though a 3/4+ ton truck does not offer a large amount of payload/towing increase, the truck itself is a much better tow rig by design. I've mentioned before but my old 2003 Ford F-250 is a much better tow pig than my 2019 RAM 1500. If I was going to be doing any real towing I would have gone with function over form and gotten a used 2500 in my budget instead of my new 1500.

My F-250 would haul all day long with no issues and control the load with no problems. I wouldn't get there first or look as sexy doing it (halogen lights, faded paint, slow acceleration, no cameras, and 320K miles) but I'd get there safely and comfortably.

silver billet

Reaction score

Exactly. Part of it is also that you have to look at the relative weight, not just the absolute weight. So if you're 100 pounds over in a civic, well that's not exactly a good spot to be in. If you're 100 pounds over in a 3500 dually that has 6000+ pounds of payload to start with, the truck won't notice the extra 100 pounds (though you still have to draw a limit somewhere of course)

onit43

Reaction score

wife and I are leaning towards this trailer. Shopping for campers is fun :D

We also have the below on the short list

I am also interested in a Keystone. Found one at 7,600 GVWR 600 lb tongue weight. I hope I can get that one. It is fun

onit43

Reaction score

wife and I are leaning towards this trailer. Shopping for campers is fun :D

We also have the below on the short list

What truck are you driving? These should be okay with my 1500 limited. I hope. Gonna crunch the numbers. Love that Keystone.

MarkkraM

Reaction score
Hi. My BH has a payload of 1689 (per the door). We typically rent trailers and this year renting a 24 foot 5100 dry with hitch weight of 500, fully loaded around 7000. Is it worth getting air bags? It comes with wdh, although I also have one. FWIW, I'll be looking to purchase a trailer late this year or early next.

Thanks

M2k

Reaction score
Hi. My BH has a payload of 1689 (per the door). We typically rent trailers and this year renting a 24 foot 5100 dry with hitch weight of 500, fully loaded around 7000. Is it worth getting air bags? It comes with wdh, although I also have one. FWIW, I'll be looking to purchase a trailer late this year or early next.

Thanks
The 5th gen is better than the 4th gen in handling sag with its progressive rate rear springs. That said I still run airlift 1000 HD airbags to further cushion and stiffen the rear end when towing.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@devildodge Don't know if you've seen this or not...
Then there's a follow up which I find to be even more entertaining...

Sure, the payload might be within spec...but by how much? Can't be much left with them both in the car. I also find that he's skirting around the whole legality comment by saying they have no issues with control.....

bryankloos

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just picked up my 2021 1500 and will tow the camper for the first time next weekend. The camper is about 3710 with 375 on the hitch per sticker specs. I need to confirm if the tongue weight includes batteries, propane, etc, and I have yet to weigh it loaded but may do so this weekend if the transfer station will let me. I also hope to get the trailer TPMS installed this weekend. Seems like a cool option! I'm guessing I'm closer to 4200/420 in the real world. I'm just shy of 1200 payload per the sticker (lots of options on this new girl).

My previous TV was a 2018 Jeep GC which was maxed out at payload. It towed it fine but could get squirrely over 70mph and was a dog on the hills with the 3.6 V6.

Any suggestions or concerns before I head out?

Thanks!

Bryan

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just picked up my 2021 1500 and will tow the camper for the first time next weekend. The camper is about 3710 with 375 on the hitch per sticker specs. I need to confirm if the tongue weight includes batteries, propane, etc, and I have yet to weigh it loaded but may do so this weekend if the transfer station will let me. I also hope to get the trailer TPMS installed this weekend. Seems like a cool option! I'm guessing I'm closer to 4200/420 in the real world. I'm just shy of 1200 payload per the sticker (lots of options on this new girl).

My previous TV was a 2018 Jeep GC which was maxed out at payload. It towed it fine but could get squirrely over 70mph and was a dog on the hills with the 3.6 V6.

Any suggestions or concerns before I head out?

Thanks!

Bryan
First of all, make sure the WDH is properly set up. Look at a Hellwig, and heavier rated tires, and keep the speeds more reasonable. Towing at 80, ore even 70 for a 1500 is crazy. If it is "squirrely" you are an accident looking for a place to happen. Leave the macho cr@p at home and be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread