5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you want to tow a camper! Discussion thread.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2016 2500 and 2018 3500 didn't have the nanny light. My 3500 I would run my tire pressure so it would be a little more comfortable. Even now that I'm running E rated tires on my 1500, I run them very close to door sticker.

JScan or AlfaOBD can fix the tire pressure issues. 3500 doesn't even have TPMS enabled, it has TPIS (info only) no warnings. Either one can be set to either setting or disabled.

Unloaded, I run my rears at like 40-45PSI and with the air assist rear it rides pretty good for a 1 Ton truck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
New to this forum and looking for some solid answers, since the intertubes are full of witchcraft and hobbits! I'm driving a 2021 eTorgue 5.7 Hemi Limited, fully loaded, 5.5 foot bed, 3.92 rear, air bags all around. I love this truck as it's the most lux vehicle I've ever owned...bought it used last September. My dear bride decided this past March that we need a camping trailer....a Northern Spirit 2659bh Ultra Light.
Dry weight of the trailer is 6172#, gas bottles and battery add another 90#, Recurve R3 wdh adds another 45#. Me, wife and little dog add 425# to the cabin.
Here's my conundrum: The door sticker shows GVWR at 7100# GAWR rear at 4100#, GAWR front 3900#. The tire sticker warns to never, ever, not even on a dare, exceed 1190# total cargo weight.
We'll be dragging this flying brick only a couple hundred miles at any given time, maybe 4-5 times a year. Most of our 'stuff' will be loaded over and behind the trailer axles (dual) with the knowledge that some weight has to be stored forward for stability.
Couple of questions: If my tongue weight rating is 1275#, how can the vehicle only carry 1190#?
If the wdh transfers about 20% - 30% of the tongue weight to the trailer axles, will this allow me and the wife to actually ride together in the truck?
If we take this set up and go camping, are we gonna die a grisly death in a ditch on the side of the road due to the rig being overweight?
Thanks in advance...Looking forward to not dying any time soon...

WDH transfers weight to BOTH the trailer axles and the truck front axle.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay...well, I've made the decision to move along and upgrade to a RAM 2500 4x4 diesel. At least this way I'll be able to put a couple of eggs and some bacon in the camper fridge and maybe my bottle of Makers Mark! The rig I'm looking at has a GVWR of 10,000# so I'm not going to be worried about pulling my little 31' trailer.
I bought the 1500 Limited last September and it has been my most favorite vehicle ever (and in my life I've owned at least 12)....it's going to be heartbreaking to see her go...
Thanks for the input, everyone....

I'd look closely at payload on a 2500 Cummins and think long and hard about it. They are generally not suitable to tow most 5th wheels if you think you'll ever move up. The inboard springs/air also doesn't help stability. We see so many new 2500 owners adding outboard airbags, upgraded track bars, etc. to resolve these issues.

Davidbt

Reaction score
JScan or AlfaOBD can fix the tire pressure issues. 3500 doesn't even have TPMS enabled, it has TPIS (info only) no warnings. Either one can be set to either setting or disabled.

Unloaded, I run my rears at like 40-45PSI and with the air assist rear it rides pretty good for a 1 Ton truck.
Your post reminded me that I had someone with ApfaOBD reset my 2016 2500 TPMS shortly after buying the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/