5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you want to tow a camper! Discussion thread.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the discussion thread for towing a camper.
I was asked to sticky a conversation i had as alot of info is lost in internet sorcery.

Discuss freely here. Any questions or comments can be hashed out here.

Have fun.

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This thread is a great idea.

What would also be useful (but probably outside the scope of this forum) is a webpage specifically for our 5th gen rams where you can input/select your truck stats (4x4, hemi, 3.21/3.92 etc), then enter some basic trailer stats like type (5w, utility, travel) and the weight etc and just hit "calculate" and get presented with some warnings or information letting you know what is going on, or if you are near max etc.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I completely agree @silver billet

There are a few of these in our discussion threads.

I hope to get them moved here.

But the hope is to just get a simple setup to just quickly see the numbers.

Then we can go play with the numbers...and include the guys who tow over the capacities and are having good tow experiences.

The discussion is always hard to do. As every one has an opinion and they end up like the oil or octane threads. The Manual says something...but obviously there are many ways to skin a CAT.

Ram_man

Reaction score
Great thread! Look forward to many questions and answers.
My first question is about weight distribution hitches. Any comments about the ones you like and those that are questionable?
I am thinking of getting a camper later in about 5 months. This will be in the 20-22' range with a weight of about 3500 lbs.
I have a 2020 Bighorn 1500, 4x4, Quad cab, 3.21 axle
I would not use the camper but about 5-6 times a year and no more than a 300 mile range from home.

Portercycling250

Reaction score
Great thread! Look forward to many questions and answers.
My first question is about weight distribution hitches. Any comments about the ones you like and those that are questionable?
I am thinking of getting a camper later in about 5 months. This will be in the 20-22' range with a weight of about 3500 lbs.
I have a 2020 Bighorn 1500, 4x4, Quad cab, 3.21 axle
I would not use the camper but about 5-6 times a year and no more than a 300 mile range from home.
I am basically in the exact situation you are in. I’m just waiting for spring before purchasing a travel trailer. After a lot of research online I’m likely going with the Anderson Weight Distribution. The setup and overall engineering of it has me sold. My trailer will likely be around the 3200-3500 as well.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m curious about WDH as well. For you guys in that 3k-3.5k weight range is a WDH even necessary? My rig is 4600 dry, I’m probably pulling it around 5k lbs. my hitch weight is almost 700lbs. it’s an ice fishing RV so it doesn’t have a standard a-frame style hitch. It’s actually 4” square tube, and has a pivot point where I can pull a pin, drop the house and unhook it without moving my truck. I stopped by a local place called hitch-it, they specialize in this stuff and he told me they have tried many different things for my kind of set up and nothing worked. He said just put air bags in the rear of your truck. I’ve had the camper for over a year and pulled it over 15 times and it does fine without a WDH. I know it certainly can’t hurt to have one but do you really need one for that weight?

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of the main reasons for a weight distribution hitch is to keep your truck level and not throw out the front end alignment. This way it steers correctly.
I understand that but is it necessary with a trailer that only weighs 3k lbs? I know that you want it when you’re getting into the heavier trailers but a 3k lb trailer is going to have pretty minimal hitch weight

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WDH is recommended for over 500 tongue weight and 5000lb trailer.

You would not need the WDH. But you should hit a CAT scale to make sure you haven't removed to much weight from the front axle. Especially if you also loaded the bed at the rear.

You need weight on that front axle for steering and braking

Ram_man

Reaction score
The tongue weight listed on the trailer manufacture's web site is not as accurate as they seem. They have no idea how much weight you will be putting in the trailer or how it will be loaded, plus the stuff you will be putting in the truck bed. So a trailer that has a listed tongue weight of 350lbs could easily go over 500lbs. Try this: Measure the distance from the ground to the fender wheel well (on level surface) rear wheel. Hook the trailer up and then take the same measurement. In my opinion if you have more than 1" then you need to add a WDH. Most of my friends that trailer/camp use the 15% of trailer weight as their tongue weight, as opposed to the manufacturer list.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most travel trailers are at about 13%.

A 3500lb trailer probably is gonna have close to a 10% as designed for towing with smaller vehicles, and even if you would load all the camping stuff in the front probably still wouldn't go over 500lb tongue weight.

But that is also why I said to check at the scale for loss of front weight.

The trucks are designed with a rake. So when you do load the back the weight stays going to the front. Of course a trailer puts the weight further back taking it away faster.

This is also why I find a leveled truck useless...but that is my opinion.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score

wife and I are leaning towards this trailer. Shopping for campers is fun :D

We also have the below on the short list

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That is a nice one. I noticed the new campers have rhe bed at the tongue. We really want another with the bed at the rear. But guess that isnt the trend right now.

28 foot also seems to be what we will have to go with. Was hoping to get another 26foot...but they sure have made less good use of space.

The numbers look good to. Should be a great fit for your truck.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a few that have them at the rear with a front kitchen but most are on the tongue. I assume that’s to help keep the tongue weight down so people with varying vehicles can tow them.

I didn’t even notice until today, that Passport model is W/D prepped. You don’t see that option in a trailer that size.

Portercycling250

Reaction score
I’m curious about WDH as well. For you guys in that 3k-3.5k weight range is a WDH even necessary? My rig is 4600 dry, I’m probably pulling it around 5k lbs. my hitch weight is almost 700lbs. it’s an ice fishing RV so it doesn’t have a standard a-frame style hitch. It’s actually 4” square tube, and has a pivot point where I can pull a pin, drop the house and unhook it without moving my truck. I stopped by a local place called hitch-it, they specialize in this stuff and he told me they have tried many different things for my kind of set up and nothing worked. He said just put air bags in the rear of your truck. I’ve had the camper for over a year and pulled it over 15 times and it does fine without a WDH. I know it certainly can’t hurt to have one but do you really need one for that weight?
If you have to ask .. then yes you need one.. I’m not sure what your max payload is on your configuration but with a 650-700 pound hitch tongue weight yes get a WDH. Your big horn with a few people in in will be close to max payload so why not have it run smooth. Airbags in the back to raise the bed level does not allow for weight distribution to the front for braking etc...

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Let’s start with basics.

>5000lbs weight distributing hitch is required by law in many states and provinces.

Check your payload capacity.
Subtract weight of all passengers plus 50 lbs each for shoes, coats, water bottles, snacks and random stuff they carry with them.
Subtract weight of anything you plan to carry in the bed.
Remaining weight = max tongue weight.

Max tongue weight/ 12-15% (typical rv tongue weight) = max trailer weight.

Example:
Payload from door sticker 1480lbs
1480-4 passengers at 150lbs =880lbs
880lbs less cooler and firewood (200lb assumed) = 680lbs
680lbs/.12 = 5,666lb max Loaded trailer weight (not the advertised dry weight!)

You’ll find that a 1500 runs out of payload well before it ever nears the fallacy of advertised max trailer weight.

If you don’t carry anything in the bed and no extras in the cab you might stretch to 8000lbs, but unlikely. Happy trailering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boston

Reaction score
So what transmission temps do people see when towing say 7-9k?

Rhombus

Reaction score

I've been looking at the 2400RB as well. We were thinking bunkhouse for grandkids. But the reality is, we'll travel alone as well so when the grandkids are with us, "Grampsy" would sleep on the dinette or a cot. I really like the bathroom set up, it actually has room to change your clothes!

Users who are viewing this thread