5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I called FCA about Harman Kardon system.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
Ok, so I don’t have to do any but wait for it. That’s fine.
Well here it is. I took the truck to the dealer. As our friend 202snowman did. I mentioned the issue of low volume level and they had no idea what I was talking about, but they called Detroit and the confirm there was an amplifier update which they download (truck spend 10 hours at the dealer) and they performed the update, Believe it or not it improved not just the volume but also sound quality overall. There’s still a lack of bass response compared to my old Laramie but I think it’s because woofer location. So I’m more than happy now. Here is the picture of the paperwork

Attachments

• 420697B8-6729-4CC2-A604-4131B5B5B361.jpeg
    420697B8-6729-4CC2-A604-4131B5B5B361.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 199

Bacoviah

Reaction score
Is it odd this hasn’t been released to the dealers or is it maybe something new and hasn’t hit yet?

Laramieguy

Reaction score
My HK system is super crisp and clear, even at volume 38. However, anytime I have my window even cracked open while driving it is not loud enough. Even at 15 it sounds like a whisper. It's almost like it need to go to 48 and it will be perfect.

RamMeToo

Reaction score
I'm guessing they got this fixed. My build date is late September and my HK - 19 speaker system will blow your friggin socks off and sound is super crisp.

So far, all good in Hong Kong with my sound system, AC is colder than the north pole, and no rattlesnakes in Arizona - I'm holding my breath over here!

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My HK system is super crisp and clear, even at volume 38. However, anytime I have my window even cracked open while driving it is not loud enough. Even at 15 it sounds like a whisper. It's almost like it need to go to 48 and it will be perfect.

Go get the TSB done (I'm assuming you haven't already)....then report back...major difference.

sswails1

Reaction score
Did mine today, where I was at 19-22, now I’m at 12-16. Software version stayed the same though. Thought that would have updated.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
I'm guessing they got this fixed. My build date is late September and my HK - 19 speaker system will blow your friggin socks off and sound is super crisp.

So far, all good in Hong Kong with my sound system, AC is colder than the north pole, and no rattlesnakes in Arizona - I'm holding my breath over here!
Have to feel that ac colder than North Pole. Have had 3 so far and believe me tried over 20 on dealers and all of them are the same. I love my truck but this is one of its weakest points. Live in florida

Lawdog

Reaction score
My HK system in my new Laramie iS by far the best sounding system I have ever had in a vehicle. Great Bass Great highs and Mids. Very loud and crystal clear. I also run it in Suround Mode as is clearly sounds BETTER and can hear the different sounds firing at different speakers with songs.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not happy with my HK system as well.

Did you have the TSB done? When was your build date?

When you get a chance, put the details of your build in your signature if you would, so that we know what you have.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
So I'm thinking the reason they couldn't update my amp is something to do with the fact I have the 8.4NAV system with the 19 speakers, everyone I've seen update it has the 12 Inch screen. Pretty upset I spent $4,400 on the level 2 upgrade because the ONLY option I absolutely needed was the harmon kardon system. Now its just a matter of finding a dealer who is willing to replace my amp with an updated one from the factory, because if my dealer was telling the truth about not being able to update it then that seems to be the only other option. To bad the next closest dealer is 45 minutes away and I have zero history with them. Done with my dealer telling me "it sounds great"

Reaction score
Got my HK updated today and the sound is immensely better. Much louder and the bass seems deeper as wel. Took the dealer about 15 mins to get it done.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
My HK system in my new Laramie iS by far the best sounding system I have ever had in a vehicle. Great Bass Great highs and Mids. Very loud and crystal clear. I also run it in Suround Mode as is clearly sounds BETTER and can hear the different sounds firing at different speakers with songs.
I strongly disagree about that surround mode. To me sounds terrible. It’s a great sound system but not the best I’ve had unfortunately.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
So I'm thinking the reason they couldn't update my amp is something to do with the fact I have the 8.4NAV system with the 19 speakers, everyone I've seen update it has the 12 Inch screen. Pretty upset I spent $4,400 on the level 2 upgrade because the ONLY option I absolutely needed was the harmon kardon system. Now its just a matter of finding a dealer who is willing to replace my amp with an updated one from the factory, because if my dealer was telling the truth about not being able to update it then that seems to be the only other option. To bad the next closest dealer is 45 minutes away and I have zero history with them. Done with my dealer telling me "it sounds great"
It doesn’t sound great at al without update, if so why an update after 3 month you release a vehicle?

Douglas31

Reaction score
I will say it is improved after the amp update but definitely not superb. Again sound is subjective to everyone’s personal preference but it seems like the bass is being reproduced at higher frequencies then it should be. Not sure if it is the way the system is tuned or the frequency range of the speakers. It is missing a full balanced sound especially at the lower frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread