5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I called FCA about Harman Kardon system.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The salesman is being less than truthful for sure, but depending on build date and how long it has been on the lot, it may have already been taken care of...

I asked about any open TSBs on the truck I was buys and they stated they are all resolved before it rolls off the lot. When I logged onto Mopar.com it did indeed show no active TSBs or recalls.

dalailama23

Reaction score
That nice if it true. I asked for all updates but when i picked up my truck from service it was not on the invoice if they did it to my truck they charge FCA 0.5 hrs warranty . a call to my device adviser informed me it wasn't done and isn't done unless you state the system doesn't sound great for the system it is.

Savagescott

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes.

Is it too much to ask that a dealer say., "Hey... before we deliver your truck to you, we're going to take care of all of the known recalls/TSBs... We want your very expensive truck to be as good as possible when you drive away." It's infuriating to hear, "you didn't ask for it so we didn't do it..." I pray this isn't a systemic attitude, rather just a few lazy dealers.

I haven't ordered my truck yet but I thank all of you for the information you provide... has really opened my eyes.

Here endeth my rant.

dalailama23

Reaction score
I also meant to add that when they scanned my truck on 10/17/18 they said the only open items were the ABS recall . The service TBS is dated 9/28/18 and my tuck hasn't been to the dealer since 8/13/18 the day i picked it up.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
In the process of buying a Limited off the lot and mentioned the TSB to the salesperson, he said the sound is fine and no such TSB exists! He called me later and said he asked in the service department and they said "no such bulletin exists"!! I did some research (on this site) found the bulletin and emailed the TSB # along with a screenshot of the TSB cover letter, haven't heard back yet! But I guarantee you I won't take delivery and pay them a buttload of money until it is done!!

I told the salesperson, I may be 70 years old, but I listen to my music like I'm still 16.

John
By any chance did you check the build date? If it was after August 28th it will already have the update. That will definitely save you from a big headache with the service department.....if they’re anything like mine.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, after a few weeks of ownership and listening to the HK system, I have some observations.

1. The system is bass heavy from 80hz down. It extends to 30hz but is NOT well balanced.

2. . The system has NO CONTROL, other than overall volume, of frequencies above the ~80hz crossover up to ~600hz.

3. The EQ LOW band is a low pass sub only.... 80hz and lower. The MID band is narrow and centered around 1khz. The HIGH band is 4k and up.

4. The 80hz to 600hz region, which is unaffected by EQ, is -10db down and the result is unintelligible bass since the fundamental notes are suppressed. It yields a scooped bass with a fat sub bass but doesn't have articulation or clarity. The sub bass around 40-60hz is +6db and combined with the -10db mid-bass, sounds boomy to my ears. Listeners accustomed to artificial bass ("Bass heads") might like this but it is not a realistic reproduction of the original recording.

5. The highs have a narrow +4 db boost around 10k that can't be addressed with EQ since the HIGH band adjustment is a high pass at 4khz.

6.. Optimal settings to my ears are Bass -6 Mids -2 Highs 0

7. Overall volume is loud and fairly clean at 38 (max) with the EQ settings I used. Measured max volume is 102db. It's not like sitting 10 rows back at a rock concert but plenty loud. Bass response (compression) is lost when any window or the sunroof is open. That is expected.

The system has good coverage throughout the cab. The best listening position I found is the center of the back seat.

The system could be tuned much better than it is...if a 5 band or more EQ was available. The DSP in the amp probably has the capability but I have not found any method to access it.

Overall, it sounds pretty decent. No audio system is perfect. Ever.

Note: I used an app called AudioTool for Android that I calibrated to my studio monitors that have a known response. I let my ears guide me but I like to confirm my findings with an analyzer.

Thanks for posting this. I changed to your settings today (Bass -6 Mids -2 Highs 0) and realized I've been listening to too much bass out of spite. Was figuring, it's there so I should be enjoying it! Why on earth would anyone turn down the bass?

Definitely sounds more balanced and I'm sure the neighbors are not as annoyed with me.

John

Reaction score
The Limited I am buying has a build date of 7-22. Is it possible that when they "scan" the system it only shows recalls and not tsb's? TSB's aren't critical like recalls are. Like they told you, you don't complain, they don't just do it!! After a vehicle has been out a while there can be a lot of TSB'S that don't effect every truck!! Just sayn'.

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
I had complained about choppy Bluetooth connection as well tried 3 different phones and all did the same was told an over the air update is coming very soon for this issue fyi did not give an exactvdate just that its very close

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had complained about choppy Bluetooth connection as well tried 3 different phones and all did the same was told an over the air update is coming very soon for this issue fyi did not give an exactvdate just that its very close
FYI...not sure this applies but I had choppy Bluetooth on a Samsung S6 with Android 6 but an update on my phone fixed it.

Last edited:

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
FYI...nit sure this aplies but I had choppy Bluetooth on a Samsung S6 with Android 6 but an update on my phone fixed it.

I tried multiple phones with the same result, was told that oau will fix it regardless , thanks tho buddy !!

John

Reaction score
In the process of buying a Limited off the lot and mentioned the TSB to the salesperson, he said the sound is fine and no such TSB exists! He called me later and said he asked in the service department and they said "no such bulletin exists"!! I did some research (on this site) found the bulletin and emailed the TSB # along with a screenshot of the TSB cover letter, haven't heard back yet! But I guarantee you I won't take delivery and pay them a buttload of money until it is done!!

I told the salesperson, I may be 70 years old, but I listen to my music like I'm still 16.

John
***UPDATE ***
Picked up my new Limited today build date 07-18 and the dealer had the TSB done for me. NOW, the HK is AWESOME!!!!!! Sound is crisp, and volume will hurt you! I had cranked up the volume on the initial test drive (pre TSB) and it was lousy especially on Siriusxm, now I am absolutely impressed with the performance! If you are having HK issues, get to the dealer and have the TSB installed!! Thank you to the person who initially brought this fix to our attention on this forum!!

John

AZOutdoors

Reaction score
Agree that the TSB update to the system is awesome! It is not only louder, it really let's you appreciate the quality of the system. It also gives you more flexibility to adjust the settings to your preference. For example, before the update, having the surround sound setting on made it even quieter. The same was true if you used the fader to push some of the sound to the back. Now you have plenty of volume to change both of those settings.

James Cole

Reaction score
By any chance did you check the build date? If it was after August 28th it will already have the update. That will definitely save you from a big headache with the service department.....if they’re anything like mine.

Hi Jordan...

How do you know that August 29 onwards builds have this update?

GM convert

Reaction score
I took my Limited in for service, they said the amp update was no longer available to put in the truck.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also meant to add that when they scanned my truck on 10/17/18 they said the only open items were the ABS recall . The service TBS is dated 9/28/18 and my tuck hasn't been to the dealer since 8/13/18 the day i picked it up.

had my Truck in at dealer just Thursday 10-25-19 and asked that they check radio update and ABS update they told me there was NONE! Lied to me sure as hell!

Jordan2929

Reaction score

John

Reaction score
Here is a copy of the TSB, take it to your dealer! 08-123-18

John

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181023-170148_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181023-170148_Chrome.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread