5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I called FCA about Harman Kardon system.

Phiefer

Reaction score
I've had my Limited for 2 days. Just completed a 250 mile drive and listened to Sirius XM most of the way at a volume level of 7. At a volume level of 12, it is not comfortable listening. I could never image a level of 30....
In my opinion, the HK system works very well. I tried CD and FM and a vol level of 7 or 8 was great with all those inputs.
For those who say the volume is so low you need to crank up your volume near 30, I say your system is broke.....shorted speaker or wiring......
If your dealer has another truck on his lot with a HK system in it, I would compare.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Sounds like you got an updated version of the hk system being that your truck was built 9-18, which gives me hope an update is soon to come for those of us who aren’t as lucky

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
I think for most of the Harmon Kardon owners its more of a problem with overall volume, the clarity is there (for me at least) but its severely lacking in volume. Which leads me to think that FCA was overly conservative with the software tuning. Its hard to imagine the engineers would design a system that is vastly underpowered, but you never know. btw wouldn't trade this truck for anything else out there.
Well clarity is there up to a point example: a song with a loud constant note and then a bass beat along with it you will hear that loud note that should be constant fading away when the bass beat sounds, that to me is distortion because avoiding a speaker to create a note that should be there (if you lower the volume you’ll notice it’s there but goes away if you rise the volume) so the song is not sounding as it should be. Sorry if you can’t understand what I’m trying to say (my main language is Spanish)

Mohab

Reaction score
Song source makes big difference, tried some songs with Bluetooth using YouTube and Pandora , Pandora was louder and better for the same song comparing to YouTube

Phiefer

Reaction score
Song source makes big difference, tried some songs with Bluetooth using YouTube and Pandora , Pandora was louder and better for the same song comparing to YouTube
Do you recall what the vol level was with bluetooth? Just curious. I have not tried BT, but I usually have my vol at a 7 or 8 for SAT or FM.

John813

Reaction score
Maybe it's my ears, but the HK in the Jeep sounds close to the Alpine in the 19 Ram up to 15/16 volume.
I notice better quality sound/bass when you hit 18+ in the HK.
But then it's quite loud depending on the song.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like you got an updated version of the hk system being that your truck was built 9-18, which gives me hope an update is soon to come for those of us who aren’t as lucky

Mine was built 9/18 as well and I'm not experiencing the symptoms most of you are. It does get a little odd in terms of bass on some songs but on most it rocks hard. I'm extremely pleased with it and can definitely say it is the best system I've ever owned.

I'm happy to post any fw or hw versions from the dealers screen if you can tell me which ones you want.

Last edited:

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I almost exclusively use Bluetooth and 16 is still quiet enough to have a normal conversation with someone.

I’m not sure if the firmware numbers on the screen would dictate if they updated the volume of the system, but it’s worth checking if you don’t mind posting a pic of it.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Hopefully any update you HK owners receive doesn't affect the quality of the the Alpine system, which, IMO, sounds better than any OEM system I've ever owned. But I hope you HK guys get your fix because that's an expensive system to have paid for without getting what you thought you were getting.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's the details of the audio info on my 9/18 build Limited with HK:

HW Part Number - CNSC28N0GL
SW Version - 18.27.17
App Version - USA-KR-SBX-20.16.0-20180703-K0AC
BootMicro - 18.26.01
HD Tuner - CTP2_VP4-33000001-EV011.016
EQ Version - 3.4

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
Do you recall what the vol level was with bluetooth? Just curious. I have not tried BT, but I usually have my vol at a 7 or 8 for SAT or FM.
How can I upload a video here? I have an iPhone and says no extension supported

Agustinacosta

Reaction score

SW Version - 18.27.17
BootMicro - 18.26.01
EQ Version - 3.4
Where did you get that from?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
So I called FCA about the H/K sound system, y told them I was really disappointed with the quality of this “premium sound system”. I ask the guy if I could bring the truck to a dealer to see if they can do something about that, I bought a 65000$ truck and my 50$ sound bar sounds better. So he said that the engineers are working to solve this issue because I’m not the only one. He said that before this year end an update will be available for the system, so I replied to him that I’m not an fca engineer (in fact I’m a computer engineer) I feel really that it’s really hard to download a physical mosfet and attach them to the amp outputs, so he said that they can do it , at that moment I realize this will be a long road. Anyways i explained to him that i meant that there’s a lack of power in the sound system, there’s nothing a software can do there. So far I think I have to wait.
Do you happen to still have the number you called, I’m gonna call later and give ‘em a piece of my mind lol. Everyone else with the problem should also call, maybe it’ll motivate them to find a fix a little sooner.

Smoot178

Reaction score
FCA is full of **** if you ask me. I had a 2015 Charger SRT 392 with the HK system and it was terrible. I had the rear deck speakers replaced TWICE because they blew out. I complained and complained to my dealership and when I asked for some money from FCA in recourse, they told me to go pound sand.

Here you go, posts from 2015 with the same issues as a new 1500 today:

chrome_2018-10-01_14-27-40.png

chrome_2018-10-01_14-28-08.png

I've got a 1999 GMC Savana conversion van with better audio than my (now sold) SRT.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score

SW Version - 18.27.17
BootMicro - 18.26.01
EQ Version - 3.4

Attachments

• C7BBCC7C-259F-412F-9F84-34B4C2C74548.jpeg
    C7BBCC7C-259F-412F-9F84-34B4C2C74548.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 147

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If all that matches then I'd say you've got a hw problem. I can see how 2% would be dissatisfied with my HK but the other 98% would grin and say "that rocks!"
I'm pretty picky about audio - kept me from buying an F-150 Limited last fall. Even my wife asked "do you think that sounds good?"
This HK blows theirs away. I was even concerned about the long term viability of the pano sunroof when I cranked it up.

Users who are viewing this thread