5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

James1414d

Reaction score
My last two trucks were Silverados which have the column shifter. I prefer the column shift, but I'm finally used to the knob. I do still occasionally crank the radio when I go to shift lol.

jkratze1

Reaction score
I came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a console shifter. I adapted to the knob shifter quickly and I realize now how much space the knob shifter frees up in the center console. I love the huge center console in this truck and would not trade it for a console shifter. I have always felt that column shifters were outdated.

cobradav

Reaction score
I thought it might be awkward for me after mostly center shifters and paddle shifters in performance cars and my column shift based trucks. I feel I adapted rapidly and rarely make a misstep even switching vehicles frequently. I think it was well thought out and certainly gives way to a nice center console.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m coming from a 15’ Mustang GT with a Steeda short throw, 6 speed, shifter. Man, I loved rowing thru those gears. But alas, I decided it was time to go back to a truck. I like the knob shifter for the reasons mentioned above. It did take me a little while to stop reaching down for the stick shift.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since I last posted about this topic, I've driven a new Pacifica and RAM Classic that had a plastic knob shifter (loaner vehicles). The upper trim levels for the 2019 RAM 1500 have a metal knob and you can really feel the difference in quality when rotating to switch gears.

Barney556180

Reaction score
Another vote for the knob shifter. A simple and space-saving improvement over the steering column lever or console shifter.

Harkens back to the old Chrysler transmission push buttons when everyone else had steering column shifters.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I prefer the Knob. I don't care if it fits someone's perception of what a "truck" is. I bought the best truck I could find. I love the huge console and direct access of the Knob. I suspect more vehicles will have a knob or pushbutton shifter in the future. We can't live in the past.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Have you seen the interiors on the new GM pickups? :eek:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
It's funny you say that, my buddies a die hard Chevy guy...sat in a new 19 and said its literally the exact same as his 16. Hes looking at ram for a new truck when he decides to get a new one

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's funny you say that, my buddies a die hard Chevy guy...sat in a new 19 and said its literally the exact same as his 16. Hes looking at ram for a new truck when he decides to get a new one
That's why I said it. I've been a Chevy guy and couldn't wait to see the new trucks with the return to the rounded wheel wells. I was so disappointed and that's why I went with my first FCA product ever, the 2019 RAM 1500.

RebelSteve

Reaction score
I like the knob for all the reasons stated in previous posts, but I'll admit, I do find myself turning it back and forth sometimes, even though there's a indicator light above the gear label (only had my truck for a few days and it's my first knob!) . I like the auto-park feature as sometime I forget to put it in park before I hit the "off" button. In my WK2 (traded for my Rebel) if I left it in park it would just refuse to turn off.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I love the Knob, it feels high quality, my only gripe is the volume knob should be further apart.

YawnY

Reaction score
I’m coming from a 15’ Mustang GT with a Steeda short throw, 6 speed, shifter. Man, I loved rowing thru those gears. But alas, I decided it was time to go back to a truck. I like the knob shifter for the reasons mentioned above. It did take me a little while to stop reaching down for the stick shift.
Don't worry the phantom clutch pedal will slowly fade away.

Jcalton

Reaction score
I like the knob. Doesn't take long to get use to. I'd be fine with a column shifter or the knob, both work fine and I dont do much with the freed up space on the column.

Only gripe is when I get in our other vehicles I tend to turn the radio up instead of shift into drive. But that only happens the first time I get in after not driving them for a while and the ringing in my ears keeps me from doing it again for a while.

fact mechanic

Reaction score
Only gripe is when I get in our other vehicles I tend to turn the radio up instead of shift into drive. But that only happens the first time I get in after not driving them for a while and the ringing in my ears keeps me from doing it again for a while.

Same, but I usually do it with my truck. Knob and radio volume control are too similar. But still vote knob over anything else

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was against the knob when I bought it. Can't say that it has completely won me over, but I don't really think about it anymore I guess. I'd prefer a column shifter, but have zero problems with it now that I've grown used to it. I do think it helps that it feels more substantial than other knob shifters on vehicles I've tested.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I'm getting used to it but I have to admit it's taken a while. I would like it more if the truck had a true paddle shifter setup. I think the shift point limiter is marginally useful compared to having a true paddle shifter setup, since I don't have a slapstick I can pick my own gears. If I lived in the flatlands I wouldn't care but up here in the mountains you spend a lot of time downshifting, and it's nice if you can do it simply. The other thing is sometimes I grab that knob when reaching for the radio volume knob and vice versa. And a couple of times I forgot to put it in park, but lucky the truck did it for me. And the fact that I've had manuals all my life and have always had a gear shifter to use makes it feel weird to not have it.

That said: it does open a bunch of space on the console, and eliminates cables and linkage since everything is electronic these days anyway.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't used the stereo volume knob in probably 15 years, I always use the controls on the steering wheel.

For anyone who doesn't think it feels like a truck, should we get rid of all the luxury, power options and that fancy conditioned air too so it gives you a really rugged feel? Just kidding!

Hands down keep the knob!

Users who are viewing this thread