5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

Fidomac

Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever
I like the knob .... I never enjoyed the clunking when shifting between Park ..reverse ..neutral and drive, there seems to be much less of that with the knob, also if you try to step out of the truck while in gear it will go to Park which is a big safety benefit

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
I like console shifters but I also enjoy having that console space empty. So I'd be happy either way. Im fine with the knob.

Been "dealing with" the KNOB for about the past 10 trucks. Personally, i agree with ALL the comments, but i STILL miss it, when i shift and put a truck in gear from Park to Drive, nothing is as satisfying as that "clunk" vs the "wimpy turning of an electronic knob"...but the sea of reasons for why its hear to STAY makes as much sense to me as any reasons for missing it....but not a time goes by when we drive our 2500 and hubby "shifts into gear with lever on steering column" that i don't think "dang i sure do miss that" lol : )

Barney556180

Reaction score
I agree. Appreciate the room as many have stated, but w/o the lever, the truck looses its' manliness....

If real ‘manliness’ is the goal, then where are the three-pedal trucks?
I miss the manual transmission that IMO made a truck a real truck.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys, it has nothing to do with manliness or any other thing mentioned, it has to do with MATH. There's MORE space in the console area when the shifter is on the dash, and column linkages are MORE expensive to make, plain and simple. They're not "going back" to old technology with fewer benefits than what they have now. The trucks sell well, even with the god afwful, life ruining, pansy handed rotary shifter that has every "manly" man's panties in a bunch.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since we've beat this Knob to death, I might as well add:

My "manliness" has nothing to do with what I drive. Case in point, some on here may also drive a Mustang which is obviously marketed for the ladies. :D :LOL::ROFLMAO::cool:

KLSU

Reaction score
I agree. Appreciate the room as many have stated, but w/o the lever, the truck looses its' manliness....

but having a 12" computer screen, remote start, keyless entry, blind spot monitoring, sun roofs, lane assist, parallel parking assist, Surroundview camera system, is so mainly! Go figure.:LOL:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like console shifters but I also enjoy having that console space empty. So I'd be happy either way. Im fine with the knob.

That's not the only alternative; the alternative can be rotary vs column, and I definitely prefer column shifter. It was one reason I looked at the chevy first before the ram. Had my truck for week and a half and my opinion hasn't changed any. Column doesn't take up any console space either.

My brother drove the thing for kicks and giggles, backed out of the driveway, and promptly dumped it in park instead of drive. Yeah, he shifted a few times on that drive, and each time he either got it wrong (do I turn it left or right?) or had to concentrate for a good 5 seconds to figure it out. I've never had that particular issue, but it's proof that the column shifter is still more intuitive and natural.

I have had other issues though; over shooting (going from drive to park instead of drive to reverse), or turning it and feeling it click twice and thinking I'm in park but actually in reverse now, etc etc.

Not a fan.

Love the rest of the truck though.

FishNitro

Reaction score
My .02 as someone that when driving an automatic has always had a column shift. I have no issue at all with the knob. I'm kind of indifferent to it. All it does is accomplish a task. I didnt buy a truck for its "manliness" as im plenty comfortable with my own. I bought a truck to tow stuff, haul stuff and drive to and from work. Whatever implement shifts the gear has nothing to do with the things i got a truck for.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since we've beat this Knob to death, I might as well add:

My "manliness" has nothing to do with what I drive. Case in point, some on here may also drive a Mustang which is obviously marketed for the ladies. :D :LOL::ROFLMAO::cool:
Like this one? :)

Attachments

• 97F4295D-875E-4E31-943D-8D09573A83A1.jpeg
    97F4295D-875E-4E31-943D-8D09573A83A1.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 17

RockJock

Reaction score
I think the knob is better than console or column. I absolutely hate console shifters and the tandem cupholders they're paired with. The shifter half blocks the cupholders. I don't mind a column shifter. Sometimes I like to rest my hand on it, but I don't see myself missing it. Knob is at the top of my list.

Jcalton

Reaction score

Only time my truck loses manliness is when I hop out of the driver seat. :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Console shifters are a waste of valuable space. I wouldn't mind a column shifter, but the knob does make the interior look cleaner. My only complaint with this particular knob is that the shift points are too close together. Sometimes when I try to quickly go from D to R, I spin it too far and go to P instead which is annoying. But at least they made the knob large and aluminum. The knob shifter in the 200s, and maybe some other products, feel and look cheap as crap.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not the only alternative; the alternative can be rotary vs column, and I definitely prefer column shifter. It was one reason I looked at the chevy first before the ram. Had my truck for week and a half and my opinion hasn't changed any. Column doesn't take up any console space either.

My brother drove the thing for kicks and giggles, backed out of the driveway, and promptly dumped it in park instead of drive. Yeah, he shifted a few times on that drive, and each time he either got it wrong (do I turn it left or right?) or had to concentrate for a good 5 seconds to figure it out. I've never had that particular issue, but it's proof that the column shifter is still more intuitive and natural.

I have had other issues though; over shooting (going from drive to park instead of drive to reverse), or turning it and feeling it click twice and thinking I'm in park but actually in reverse now, etc etc.

Not a fan.

Love the rest of the truck though.
It only proves he is used to a certain way of shifting. Neither way is any "more intuitive". It's just as easy to miss a selection with a column shifter. I heard people say a rotary dial phone was more intuitive than a touchtone phone when they first switch. Of course, over time that sentiment withered away. It all in what you are used to and how much you prefer to change. Nothing wrong with that. I still like my air cooled Harley with just a speedometer. :)

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It only proves he is used to a certain way of shifting. Neither way is any "more intuitive". It's just as easy to miss a selection with a column shifter. I heard people say a rotary dial phone was more intuitive than a touchtone phone when they first switch. Of course, over time that sentiment withered away. It all in what you are used to and how much you prefer to change. Nothing wrong with that. I still like my air cooled Harley with just a speedometer. :)

Not really. The knob is not natural in the sense that some people don't know which direction (clockwise, counter clockwise) to go from P to D. For me it was immediate, the top of the knob moves with the direction you want to go; so if you want to go P to D, that is "going right", so move the top of the knob right, ie "clockwise". Not that I had to think that all through, it just felt most normal to me. But my brother didn't get that, for some reason it just doesn't click like that for him. The console lever doesn't have that disconnect; you pull it down to go down, push it up to go up.

Levi Morgan

Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever
No, I love the knob.

Users who are viewing this thread