5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifter knob issues, 2019 RAM 1500, help- BRAND NEW

ponypride

Reaction score
When I go from P to D, absolutely nothing happens and then I rev to maybe 1-2k rpms, and then boom it slams into gear. I originally thought maybe it was a pressure issue in the tranny. However, most have commented that it's a valve body issue.
So if you don’t rev the engine and go back to reverse and then to drive, will it engage normally?

Paulny

Reaction score
So if you don’t rev the engine and go back to reverse and then to drive, will it engage normally?

I have done this a couple of times based on other forum members recommendations, and it will engage normally. Why do you think going to reverse and then to drive makes it work and no slamming into gear?

Bram2019

Reaction score
This is different info than what others reported. I wonder if this is the same exact scenario for everyone. If what you are saying is correct, this is not a park pawl problem. I need to look further back in the discussion, but I was under the impression that the complaint was that it felt like the brake was applied and then it slammed into gear. What you just posted is not that at all. It is 3 possible problems based on your post. Low fluid level, low trans oil pressure in drive, or a clutch not being applied. A tech with a scan tool can tell if it is low pressure if he can duplicate the issue. It should throw a fault code for this. He can check fluid level to make sure it is full. The thing he can not check easily is if a clutch is not being applied. 3 clutches are applied in D. If this is correct based on your post, the first thing to try is a known good valve body and do a clutch air test while the valve body is out. . The biggest issue here is getting the trans to repeat what is happening assuming there are no codes. This can be complicated especially if the tech can not duplicate. If he can't, he should set up a flight recorder. That is not a guarantee either. My best guess is if a valve body does not fix it, you will need a replacement transmission. Like I said because this is so intermittent, trying to solve the problem will be difficult if no fault codes are found. Normally when an issue occurs the trans goes into limp which is 6th gear. But 6th gear requires the C clutch to work. The C clutch is one of 3 clutches required for D 1st gear. Best scenario is replace valve body and air clutch test, if no go, replace trans.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If FCA is offering to replace the whole tranny, take it. If I understand what Bernie just said, the issue could be a combination of things.

Declining that and substituting your own request to only replace the valve body just complicates things.

Besides... if you get to the buyback stage, FCA could very well decline if the paperwork says "customer refused proposed solution".

Paulny

Reaction score
This is different info than what others reported. I wonder if this is the same exact scenario for everyone. If what you are saying is correct, this is not a park pawl problem. I need to look further back in the discussion, but I was under the impression that the complaint was that it felt like the brake was applied and then it slammed into gear. What you just posted is not that at all. It is 3 possible problems based on your post. Low fluid level, low trans oil pressure in drive, or a clutch not being applied. A tech with a scan tool can tell if it is low pressure if he can duplicate the issue. It should throw a fault code for this. He can check fluid level to make sure it is full. The thing he can not check easily is if a clutch is not being applied. 3 clutches are applied in D. If this is correct based on your post, the first thing to try is a known good valve body and do a clutch air test while the valve body is out. . The biggest issue here is getting the trans to repeat what is happening assuming there are no codes. This can be complicated especially if the tech can not duplicate. If he can't, he should set up a flight recorder. That is not a guarantee either. My best guess is if a valve body does not fix it, you will need a replacement transmission. Like I said because this is so intermittent, trying to solve the problem will be difficult if no fault codes are found. Normally when an issue occurs the trans goes into limp which is 6th gear. But 6th gear requires the C clutch to work. The C clutch is one of 3 clutches required for D 1st gear. Best scenario is replace valve body and air clutch test, if no go, replace trans.

Fluid level was checked and perfect. Tech used scan tool to check and found nothing...no codes. I agree that this is difficult as both my tech and service manager are scratching their heads. Although, my service manager says the regional FCA rep told him he felt 98% sure the "new" valve body with the software update will fix my issue. However, based on your summary, it sounds like a new valve body will produce no new results. My service manager did state that IF my new valve body doesn't fix the issue, then a new tranny would be installed. So, I wonder if this "new" valve body is knowingly not going to work, but the dealer has to "cross off" the box before they can move on to the next step which is replacement? It has happened to me 5 times so far, and it is really intermittent and tough for the dealer with no codes. Great insight though, and much appreciated.

greatone99

Reaction score
Fluid level was checked and perfect. Tech used scan tool to check and found nothing...no codes. I agree that this is difficult as both my tech and service manager are scratching their heads. Although, my service manager says the regional FCA rep told him he felt 98% sure the "new" valve body with the software update will fix my issue. However, based on your summary, it sounds like a new valve body will produce no new results. My service manager did state that IF my new valve body doesn't fix the issue, then a new tranny would be installed. So, I wonder if this "new" valve body is knowingly not going to work, but the dealer has to "cross off" the box before they can move on to the next step which is replacement? It has happened to me 5 times so far, and it is really intermittent and tough for the dealer with no codes. Great insight though, and much appreciated.
the problem with them just replacing the tranny ,it could be bad as well , they need to find the issue ,all they r gonna do is put in the same tranny ,and hope for a different result . clearly this is a widespread issue ,not a one off, as there r tons of people with this issue . im holding out til there is a solution .I don't want to go to dealer more than I need 2.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I have done this a couple of times based on other forum members recommendations, and it will engage normally. Why do you think going to reverse and then to drive makes it work and no slamming into gear?
In most transmissions reverse pressure is about double that of drive.
the problem with them just replacing the tranny ,it could be bad as well , they need to find the issue ,all they r gonna do is put in the same tranny ,and hope for a different result . clearly this is a widespread issue ,not a one off, as there r tons of people with this issue . im holding out til there is a solution .I don't want to go to dealer more than I need 2.
If FCA wants to replace the trans, do it. You have nothing to lose. They can order it, truck should be down for a day. Besides, FCA can have a look at your old trans and possibly see exactly what is happening to determine source of complaint and then come up with a fix.
I have to tell you, that I do not believe there are tons of people. There are 6000 members on this forum. There are less than 20 reports so far. I do not have the actual head count. I am sure there are more out there not on this forum. But FCA sold 600,000 trucks. If there are 500 complaints, that is less that .1 per cent of vehicles sold. Basically 1 in 1200. Pretty small but still annoying if you own one. That said, I would assume FCA would issue a bulletin for this. I wish there was a way to find out the number of the complaints. Someone at FCA knows.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seemed odd he would give you a part number that ends in AA as a new revision. If it were truest a revision it would end in AB and then AC and so on. That’s how they sequence their part numbers.

greatone99

Reaction score
In most transmissions reverse pressure is about double that of drive.

If FCA wants to replace the trans, do it. You have nothing to lose. They can order it, truck should be down for a day. Besides, FCA can have a look at your old trans and possibly see exactly what is happening to determine source of complaint and then come up with a fix.
I have to tell you, that I do not believe there are tons of people. There are 6000 members on this forum. There are less than 20 reports so far. I do not have the actual head count. I am sure there are more out there not on this forum. But FCA sold 600,000 trucks. If there are 500 complaints, that is less that .1 per cent of vehicles sold. Basically 1 in 1200. Pretty small but still annoying if you own one. That said, I would assume FCA would issue a bulletin for this. I wish there was a way to find out the number of the complaints. Someone at FCA knows.
I do have something to lose ,my time ,if the new tranny does not fix the issue . and I will most certainly lose my patients if that was 2 happen. im waiting till someone gets it fixed ,mine has only done it 2 times .in 500 miles

Paulny

Reaction score
It seemed odd he would give you a part number that ends in AA as a new revision. If it were truest a revision it would end in AB and then AC and so on. That’s how they sequence their part numbers.

Agreed, and I actually called my service manager today to let him know my investigative results. He played dumb of course, and stated that it's possible the "RL" code on the "new" valve body that will be going into my tranny pan could be a new part from a new vendor. Thus, the issues I am having are from factory valve body's that are produced at a different vendor. He believes the RL (relabeled) valve body is the fix as the regional rep stated it has new software fixes. Who knows what the truth is, but if the new valve body fixes my problem, then so be it and I will drive on. My concern is they are installing the same part as used at the factory level. However, something worth noting is that this "new" valve body is taking almost 1.5 weeks to get. Does this mean it's in short supply due to being replaced in many tranny's? That I don't know either, but the part isn't showing up the next day for whatever reason. Again, according to the regional FCA rep, this is a known issue and FCA has been working on the fix for a while. This same person is 98% sure the "new" valve body will fix my issues. My question is, why not say it's 100% a fix if it's indeed a new part# with updated software. Sounds like he left that 2% on the table just in case which puts doubt in my head that this is more than likely the same part being installed at the factory.

greatone99

Reaction score
Agreed, and I actually called my service manager today to let him know my investigative results. He played dumb of course, and stated that it's possible the "RL" code on the "new" valve body that will be going into my tranny pan could be a new part from a new vendor. Thus, the issues I am having are from factory valve body's that are produced at a different vendor. He believes the RL (relabeled) valve body is the fix as the regional rep stated it has new software fixes. Who knows what the truth is, but if the new valve body fixes my problem, then so be it and I will drive on. My concern is they are installing the same part as used at the factory level. However, something worth noting is that this "new" valve body is taking almost 1.5 weeks to get. Does this mean it's in short supply due to being replaced in many tranny's? That I don't know either, but the part isn't showing up the next day for whatever reason. Again, according to the regional FCA rep, this is a known issue and FCA has been working on the fix for a while. This same person is 98% sure the "new" valve body will fix my issues. My question is, why not say it's 100% a fix if it's indeed a new part# with updated software. Sounds like he left that 2% on the table just in case which puts doubt in my head that this is more than likely the same part being installed at the factory.
I agree .

Nick919

Reaction score
I need a little input on whether or not there is a real repair for this problem... About 5 out of 10 times i put this truck in Drive, it does NOTHING. Nothing clicks and it acts as if its still in Park. Only when i slowly depress the pedal does it pop into gear and lunge forward. This is not good nor safe. Ive 500 miles on the truck already and am about ready to return it if there is no real fix for this issue. Open to opinions and input! Thanks, Doug
Hi, first time RAM owner and first time on a truck forum. Purchased a 2019 1500 BH/LS Sport on Jan 2. I have less than 500 miles and the exact same thing has happened to me 3 times. I'd like to say I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I'm not glad. This shouldn't be an issue on trucks coming directly from the factory. This forum is a small sample size, so I'm guessing this issue is not "rare." Certainlying frustrating and concerning. Taking to dealer tomorrow.

Paulny

Reaction score
Hi, first time RAM owner and first time on a truck forum. Purchased a 2019 1500 BH/LS Sport on Jan 2. I have less than 500 miles and the exact same thing has happened to me 3 times. I'd like to say I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I'm not glad. This shouldn't be an issue on trucks coming directly from the factory. This forum is a small sample size, so I'm guessing this issue is not "rare." Certainlying frustrating and concerning. Taking to dealer tomorrow.

This has happened to me with back to back '19 Rams. I think it's more of a widespread problem than some are claiming and ultimately believe there will be a recall. It wouldn't surprise me if all 19's will eventually exhibit this behavior at one time or another as the defect could be the valve body, or the transmission itself. Regardless, I agree that it's very frustrating and unacceptable coming from the factory. Good luck in getting yours fixed as I have had both a transmission replaced, and now the dealer is telling me they are going to replace the valve body. Who knows what the problem is and tragically FCA doesn't even know. As I have stated before, both of my 19's have had the worst build quality of any brand I have owned, and I have owned most.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
While I haven’t had your problem, I do often go to put the truck in drive and wind up just making the radio louder! I’ll eventually get used to this “knob” thing.

I hope you get a quick fix.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This same person is 98% sure the "new" valve body will fix my issues. My question is, why not say it's 100% a fix if it's indeed a new part# with updated software. Sounds like he left that 2% on the table just in case which puts doubt in my head that this is more than likely the same part being installed at the factory.

Now you're questioning why a completely off-the-cuff, meaningless GUESS is 2% off ??

What next, you don't like the service manger parting his hair on the left ??

Unreal. Some people can't be helped. Close this thread.

Paulny

Reaction score
Now you're questioning why a completely off-the-cuff, meaningless GUESS is 2% off ??

What next, you don't like the service manger parting his hair on the left ??

Unreal. Some people can't be helped. Close this thread.

I am sure you want the thread closed because you realize our trucks are built with the build quality of a 5 year old, and the truth hurts doesn't it? Nobody likes questioning their purchase decision nor reading multiple threads that outline numerous quality issues that are increasing as we speak (take a look at the "how is your 2019 running" thread). You are either in denial, or are a Ram loyalist regardless of what kind of turd they produce.

My comment about the 2% off was to simply say that the regional FCA contradicted himself by saying this "new" part is the fix, when indeed I have found there is no "new" part but the same part that is being installed in our trucks at the plant. Further, if this is the fix, then why say he was 98% sure? That is not meaningless and a completely valid observation I made about a FCA employee who apparently has no clue what the issue is.

Ultimately, your comment is meaningless. But, I can see this thread is getting to you because you wouldn't be reading it if it didn't interest you. And, the reason you're interested is because your truck is having quality issues as well...or, you suspect you purchased the worst quality controlled truck built to date. If you don't like the content of this thread, then leave and don't come back. Many of us on here are trying to communicate our problems and interaction with FCA to find a solution. Now, please leave and go outside to start working on your trucks quality issues, which I am sure are many.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Boom. There it is. Wild baseless ruminations about who I am and what my intents are.

Sh1t or get off the pot. That's all I'm saying.

If they brought you a new part in a yellow box, you'd ask why it isn't a red box... and then concoct a wild conspiracy theory.

Take off your tin hat and come back down to Earth.

Paulny

Reaction score
Boom. There it is. Wild baseless ruminations about who I am and what my intents are.

Sh1t or get off the pot. That's all I'm saying.

If they brought you a new part in a yellow box, you'd ask why it isn't a red box... and then concoct a wild conspiracy theory.

Take off your tin hat and come back down to Earth.

You’re still here? Why? Your comments are useless. Inevitably, there is always that one guy who is doubting his purchase and for reassurance, comes to the forums and insults to make himself feel better. Yep, you’re that guy!

Oh, you're damn skippy I would ask why it wasn't red. At this point, having purchased two 2019 Ram 1500's that both have/had horrendous build quality and issues, I am questioning everything....especially the validity of anything that comes out of a FCA representatives mouth much less my dealership. I don't apologize for being frustrated and ****** off for purchasing two $60k plus trucks that were built by newborns. And, like many others in this thread, am voicing my frustration but also detailing my problems in the hope that maybe one of us will find the fix. As a red blooded American, I unapologetically question why a company who makes vehicles in my country allows vehicles to pass through their quality check points while having ridiculous amounts of quality defects...some VERY obvious, and some mechanical that we unfortunately find out early in the ownership process. I understand we have a warranty to cover these things, but I think I speak for MANY forum members and goodness knows how many others when I say that the number and type of quality issues we are experiencing is COMPLETELY unacceptable, warranty or not.

Last edited:

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get ya, man. I really do. I kinda been where you're at.

I had a Honda Goldwing F6B once. The entire world, literally, goes on and on about how reliable that bike is.

Not for me though. I blew that tranny out the 1st time at 14,000 miles. On this, a bike who dozens and dozens put over 500,000 miles on.

Musta been a fluke. Dealer repaired under warranty and I'm back on the road. Guess what happened at 31,000 miles? Yep. 2nd blown tranny.

Dealer repaired again... but now like you, I'm suspicious of it. To the point I couldn't enjoy it. I started to change my riding habits. I didn't ride as often. Etc. Etc.

I ended up trading that bike a few miles later at 45,000. I think it was fine but the suspicion made me question every little thing.

I'm now on a different bike and couldn't be happier.

What I took from that experience is nothing can be solved from the keyboard. And I had the luxury of speaking with a much deeper and longer-term community of Goldwing owners.

My dealer offered a solution and I took it. Nothing more can be done. If it's fixed, well hallelujah happy camper.

If not, I accept that the world isn't perfect. You are Army, man. Adapt and overcome.

Paulny

Reaction score
I get ya, man. I really do. I kinda been where you're at.

I had a Honda Goldwing F6B once. The entire world, literally, goes on and on about how reliable that bike is.

Not for me though. I blew that tranny out the 1st time at 14,000 miles. On this, a bike who dozens and dozens put over 500,000 miles on.

Musta been a fluke. Dealer repaired under warranty and I'm back on the road. Guess what happened at 31,000 miles? Yep. 2nd blown tranny.

Dealer repaired again... but now like you, I'm suspicious of it. To the point I couldn't enjoy it. I started to change my riding habits. I didn't ride as often. Etc. Etc.

I ended up trading that bike a few miles later at 45,000. I think it was fine but the suspicion made me question every little thing.

I'm now on a different bike and couldn't be happier.

What I took from that experience is nothing can be solved from the keyboard. And I had the luxury of speaking with a much deeper and longer-term community of Goldwing owners.

My dealer offered a solution and I took it. Nothing more can be done. If it's fixed, well hallelujah happy camper.

If not, I accept that the world isn't perfect. You are Army, man. Adapt and overcome.

Good insight, and I completely understand what you're saying. Typically, I am a very laid back individual who doesn't sweat the small stuff. During my long military career, I like many brothers/sisters in arms experienced and witnessed things that makes just about anything else in life not worth freaking out about in the big scheme of things. Also, please understand that I realize a keyboard can't solve things, but what it does allow is for me and other forum members to post our experiences/problems in the hope that collectively we can find a solution. Tragically, I have purchased many vehicles in my almost 50 years on this earth and rarely does a dealer have the answers I have looked for. With the power of the internet, we now have the ability to communicate in great forums like this. While doing so, we have the luxury of having members who are technicians, engineers, and auto specialist that more times than not can be more beneficial than a dealer.

Even if my tranny slamming into gear issue is fixed, I still have two bad clear coat paint runs, interior rattles, dash that needs replaced due to defect, undercarriage rattle, brakes that are squeaking worse than a dump truck, a miss-aligned hood, and gas mileage nowhere near what was advertised. I myself had to have my girlfriend reinsert the drains plugs in the rear of the cab after I took delivery so I wouldn't have the dreaded water leak like MANY have had. Can all of these things be fixed? Well, I would hope so, but tragically the fact that I even mentioned that number of quality defects out of the gate is very concerning, especially since my other '19 had most of these same issues. As tax paying citizens who works hard for our money, we owe it to ourselves to voice our disgrace so that FCA will hear us since power is in numbers. So, let's adapt to this situation and overcome it buy LOUDLY sounding out to @RamCares in the hopes that both myself, and many others can get these issues addressed. (y);)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread