5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifter knob issues, 2019 RAM 1500, help- BRAND NEW

greatone99

Reaction score
any news ? ,as of now im just siting on it and waiting till the dust settles ,I def don't want my tranny ripped out and replaced on a brand new truck ,no matter how hard or easy it is , mine has done it 2 times in 500 miles with the latest being last Sunday . im leaning towards it being a intermittent solenoid issue , and not a mechanical issue ,thats y its so sporadic

Paulny

Reaction score
UPDATE: so, today the regional FCA rep called my dealers service manager, who then called me. To make a long story short, there is finally a fix (according to the regional rep). The fix is replacing the valve body inside the transmission pan with a new part # RL402284AA. This new valve body also has software updates that eliminates the slamming into gear after selecting drive. I am very relieved to hear that simply dropping the tranny fluid pan, install the new valve body which is at the bottom, and then replace with new filter/fluid and a new gasket....seal, torque bolts and done. I was told a 2 hour job. This is great news as I thought they would have to pull my current tranny, replace with new tranny, etc. The regional rep stated that this new valve body will fix the current software glitch and no more hesitation when drive is selected. My dealer has already ordered the part and put a VOR code which stands for vehicle off road meaning it's not drivable. This is supposed to get my part quickly and dealer hopes a week to week and a half at the most. So, once I get the new valve body installed, I will post an update. Just FYI, my service manager said that the FCA rep mentioned this will eventually become a TSB or maybe a recall.

greatone99

Reaction score
its guess thats kinda the best news possible keep us updated ,and good luck

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE: so, today the regional FCA rep called my dealers service manager, who then called me. To make a long story short, there is finally a fix (according to the regional rep). The fix is replacing the valve body inside the transmission pan with a new part # RL402284AA. This new valve body also has software updates that eliminates the slamming into gear after selecting drive. I am very relieved to hear that simply dropping the tranny fluid pan, install the new valve body which is at the bottom, and then replace with new filter/fluid and a new gasket....seal, torque bolts and done. I was told a 2 hour job. This is great news as I thought they would have to pull my current tranny, replace with new tranny, etc. The regional rep stated that this new valve body will fix the current software glitch and no more hesitation when drive is selected. My dealer has already ordered the part and put a VOR code which stands for vehicle off road meaning it's not drivable. This is supposed to get my part quickly and dealer hopes a week to week and a half at the most. So, once I get the new valve body installed, I will post an update. Just FYI, my service manager said that the FCA rep mentioned this will eventually become a TSB or maybe a recall.
Great news! Good luck and hopefully the parts come in sooner.

Ghinesley

Reaction score
Hallelujah! Just picked up my truck today after an informal “look” at my concerns and they have rescheduled me to 1/24 for drop off for thorough diagnosis, the service dept told me that likely it would be a new transmission. I am so hopeful that it’s just a valve body, because they told me the transmission would take 5-7 days to get it, and then two days for repair.

So is the new valve body to rectify the no-go when shifting into D?

Paulny

Reaction score
... and already available at 3rd party distributors? (i.e. how new can it actually be?)

https://www.eastcoastmoparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-valve-bod-transmission-rl402284aa

My service advisor did mention this valve body fix has been available for a little while now. How long is a little while? I don’t know, but he mentioned that so far it’s been successful. It appears this is headed for a recall for the new valve body replacement. Just to confirm, it would be nice to know the current valve body part # in our trucks to see if indeed the new valve body is a different part #. Can anyone help to verify?

Ghinesley

Reaction score
My service advisor did mention this valve body fix has been available for a little while now. How long is a little while? I don’t know, but he mentioned that so far it’s been successful. It appears this is headed for a recall for the new valve body replacement. Just to confirm, it would be nice to know the current valve body part # in our trucks to see if indeed the new valve body is a different part #. Can anyone help to verify?

And to clarify, your issue is also the P to D no-movement in addition to some rough shifting? My transmission is smooth and no concerns other than the intermittent P to D no-go. I am very eager to see if this takes care of it, so I can share this with my service center.

fat trout

Reaction score
I'm going to guess they didn't get into it but I would be interested if they gave you any insight into why this issue is more prevalent with some truck and not others. I had it happen when very very new so I know exactly what you are talking about but I has not happened again. I back up before drive mostly but have been shifting to drive first recently just to see if it engages and have not yet had a recurrence.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I will be surprised if the valve body fixes the P to D problem. I hope so, but lets see. There is new software out for the trans of the non etorque hemi out but from what I understand it improves the downshift 2-1.

Paulny

Reaction score
Update: So, just out of curiosity, I called another local Ram dealer and gave them my vin and asked to give me the part # to my current valve body. Low and behold, it's # 67402284AA compared to the "new" valve body part# RL402284AA. The dealer told me that the RL stand for "relabeled", and that it's the same part as my stock part# 67402284AA. He stated there is no difference between the two. Therefore, this apparently means my dealer's FCA regional rep was lying when he said the "new" valve body has a different part# and has updated software. Now, I can only assume my dealer's service dept. was telling me what they thought I wanted to hear in the hope that the "new" valve body would fix my issue, when in fact it's the same exact part #. They probably did not expect me to do my due diligence and investigate. Based on this information, there is no "fix" and at this point I am just spent and over FCA. I have now had two consecutive 19's that had/have many quality issues beyond any reasonable comprehension. I don't know if getting an attorney would be beneficial at this point, and letting the dealership replace my transmission with the exact same valve body isn't a fix as part #'s are still the same. I think my best bet is to trade this POS, take my loss and NEVER make a another stupid mistake of purchasing a FCA product. FCA should be ashamed to build a piece of crap vehicle at a plant where quality control is the worst, bar none. It's painfully obvious that mgmt. at the SHAP does not hold anyone accountable regarding quality, and they will simply let any truck out the door regardless of condition. I just want a vehicle that works, and doesn't leak, creak, rattle, or dangerously jump forward after slamming into gear. I was fooled with glitchy tech and a pretty dress and never expected the worst build quality in the industry...then again, it's Chrysler and apparently nothing has changed over the years.

Last edited:

greatone99

Reaction score
the Only thing that would make me lean towards the valve body being the issue , is the fact that when we all rev it up , it slams into gear ,meaning the transmission rotating faster is building up centrifugal force . Meaning the valve body is not machined right .

greatone99

Reaction score
Update: So, just out of curiosity, I called another local Ram dealer and gave them my vin and asked to give me the part # to my current valve body. Low and behold, it's # 67402284AA compared to the "new" valve body part# RL402284AA. The dealer told me that the RL stand for "relabeled", and that it's the same part as my stock part# 67402284AA. He stated there is no difference between the two. Therefore, this apparently means my dealer's FCA regional rep was lying when he said the "new" valve body has a different part# and has updated software. Now, I can only assume my dealer's service dept. was telling me what they thought I wanted to hear in the hope that the "new" valve body would fix my issue, when in fact it's the same exact part #. They probably did not expect me to do my due diligence and investigate. Based on this information, there is no "fix" and at this point I am just spent and over FCA. I have now had two consecutive 19's that had/have many quality issues beyond any reasonable comprehension. I don't know if getting an attorney would be beneficial at this point, and letting the dealership replace my transmission with the exact same valve body isn't a fix as part #'s are still the same. I think my best bet is to trade this POS, take my loss and NEVER make a another stupid mistake of purchasing a FCA product. FCA should be ashamed to build a piece of crap vehicle at a plant where quality control is the worst, bar none. It's painfully obvious that mgmt. at the SHAP does not hold anyone accountable regarding quality, and they will simply let any truck out the door regardless of condition. I just want a vehicle that works, and doesn't leak, creak, rattle, or dangerously jump forward after slamming into gear. I was fooled with glitchy tech and a pretty dress and never expected the worst build quality in the industry...then again, it's Chrysler and apparently nothing has changed over the years.
Not good , was hopefully yesterday / now back to mad angry as of now . The only bright side there is a fix to be found / when is another story .

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't mean to get you all wound up and suspicious of it. A part doesn't get a new number because it's fun. There's a reason for it.

Like I said above, give it a shot. Why in the world would you fight the dealer and FCA when in fact they're trying to help you.

GO GET YOUR TRUCK FIXED. If it doesn't work I'll eat my hat.

Paulny

Reaction score
I didn't mean to get you all wound up and suspicious of it. A part doesn't get a new number because it's fun. There's a reason for it.

Like I said above, give it a shot. Why in the world would you fight the dealer and FCA when in fact they're trying to help you.

GO GET YOUR TRUCK FIXED. If it doesn't work I'll eat my hat.

You’re right, and I apologize for the rant. Two trucks in a row with problems is very frustrating. In the big scheme of things, life is short and I typically don’t get upset easily. I will let the dealer install the “new” valve body and see if it fixes it. Fingers crossed. I do stand by my opinion that these trucks have the worst build quality I’ve ever seen, but ulitimately it’s a machine and maybe the dealer can fix each issue until it’s acceptable.

Bram2019

Reaction score
the Only thing that would make me lean towards the valve body being the issue , is the fact that when we all rev it up , it slams into gear ,meaning the transmission rotating faster is building up centrifugal force . Meaning the valve body is not machined right .
I am curious. Does the trans rev up like it is in neutral, then slams. Or does it rev up but feel like you have your foot on the brake and then releases and slams

Paulny

Reaction score
I am curious. Does the trans rev up like it is in neutral, then slams. Or does it rev up but feel like you have your foot on the brake and then releases and slams

When I go from P to D, absolutely nothing happens and then I rev to maybe 1-2k rpms, and then boom it slams into gear. I originally thought maybe it was a pressure issue in the tranny. However, most have commented that it's a valve body issue.

fat trout

Reaction score
Smoothly revs like its in neutral

Luxy72462

Reaction score
Yep. Revs like it’s in neutral but if your not paying attention it’ll do a neutral drop and lunge on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/