5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon LED 3rd Brake Light 2019+

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can we try to submerge the unit in water before installing it to see if water gets in?..
I mean just keep the plug out of the water but the rest of it submerge?
Look for bubbles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1500DFW

Reaction score
It’s the screw holes that are the problem. When you screw in the screws it makes little shavings as you go through the plastic. I went to blow them out and they blew right inside the light. In the pic, the little piece of plastic that I’ve circled is inside of the housing.
77cb054efa153707cade74cf8dde311d.jpg

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s the screw holes that are the problem. When you screw in the screws it makes little shavings as you go through the plastic. I went to blow them out and they blew right inside the light. In the pic, the little piece of plastic that I’ve circled is inside of the housing.
77cb054efa153707cade74cf8dde311d.jpg
So is it marring the plastic the entire way as you drive down the screws? Or is it that some of us are potentially tightening the light down too tight to achieve the flush look and the head of the screw is digging into the plastic at the base of the screw hole? If over tightening is the cause, we definitely need torque specs from Recon so that we know when really tight becomes “too tight”

CrashMax

Reaction score
Just got my 2020 1500 Ram Limited and purchase the recon light a couple days ago before I read this thread.
So glad I found this. I'll be inspecting the light and looking at possibly different sizes of screws heads before installing.
So glad I found the site. You guys are awesome.

bendini

Reaction score
They are sending me a replacement unit but debating if I should even try installing this one if condensation issue is going to continue. What are your plans moving forward with this light? Interested to hear if different screw size will help.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are sending me a replacement unit but debating if I should even try installing this one if condensation issue is going to continue. What are your plans moving forward with this light? Interested to hear if different screw size will help.

Got my replacement but didn’t install yet. I can definitely say though installing the first one there was a resistance in the screwing of the factory screws… wondering now if I went through the plastic with them??

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should go just went Diode Dynamics from the get go lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Forget Diode Dynamics and save yourself some money. I bought $12.99 leds on amazon and they turn night into day. Purchased them 6-7 months ago.

1500DFW

Reaction score
3cfee6f74f9e1df3217db23f0b72ea8b.jpg

8e147805bffdeccefd3eed676ebb8309.jpg

So the replacement light has the same issue. This time I sprayed water from a spray bottle into the screw holes. There’s actually standing water inside of the light now. Below the bed lights and above the brake light. I’m not sure if it’s the screws damaging the light or just faulty seals around the holes to begin with.

I think I’m just going to return both of them and spend the extra cash on OEM if it comes down a bit in price.

It may be I’m just damaging it trying to get it flush but I’m not interested in getting another one and replacing the gasket to try it out.

U

User_63152

Personally, I don't care how tight these need to be torqued down. They shouldn't leak no matter what. It would be nice if there were directions in the box. Maybe rubber gaskets/washers for the crews? Anything. Seems like a major flaw to me.

These definitely need more testing. I haven't been paying attention to mine, but it has me worried.

These lights aren't flippin' cheap. I shouldn't have sold my Diode Dynamics led bulbs and just stuck with the OEM fixture. Sometimes leaving well enough alone is the rule of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

1500DFW

Reaction score
Alright, so I’m a cheapskate and couldn’t stomach the idea of an OEM $400 light. I decided to silicone the hell out of the screw holes. I hit it from both sides of the light. Front and back. I used a q-tip on the front to keep from getting any silicone on the front of anywhere visible in the screw hole. Pushed the screws through a bit, reset the silicone to make sure everything was covered. Then added some more to the back so when I torqued it down it would mash everywhere and hopefully fill in any gaps.

For those of you who have bought the light you’ll know why I’m talking about with the front and the back. Just really get it in good around the foam seal in between the front and back of the screw hole.

I let it sit for 24 hours and hit it with a spray bottle and an air compressor. No leaking and no moisture inside. I think that solves the problem. We’ll see. A huge pain but overall if this holds it’s worth not spending two hundred more on an OEM unit and not having to deal with FOB issues.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright, so I’m a cheapskate and couldn’t stomach the idea of an OEM $400 light. I decided to silicone the hell out of the screw holes. I hit it from both sides of the light. Front and back. I used a q-tip on the front to keep from getting any silicone on the front of anywhere visible in the screw hole. Pushed the screws through a bit, reset the silicone to make sure everything was covered. Then added some more to the back so when I torqued it down it would mash everywhere and hopefully fill in any gaps.

For those of you who have bought the light you’ll know why I’m talking about with the front and the back. Just really get it in good around the foam seal in between the front and back of the screw hole.

I let it sit for 24 hours and hit it with a spray bottle and an air compressor. No leaking and no moisture inside. I think that solves the problem. We’ll see. A huge pain but overall if this holds it’s worth not spending two hundred more on an OEM unit and not having to deal with FOB issues.
I'm hopeful that it works for your sake, but you should never have to do that on a brand new product. After two bad units, I probably would have just requested a refund. I really am curious on why this only seems to be happening on certain lights. I understand that there can be variances with production, but I would think that something like this with the screw holes would happen to nearly everyone, which is why I tend to believe it is potentially connected to how tight the screws are driven in. I check on my light religiously now after seeing the moisture issues from several of the members in here and mine is holding up fine. Like Bluearcade mentioned above, it is unacceptable regardless of the situation, and really needs to corrected on Recon's end. Their customer service does seem to be attentive and very responsive to the situation based on what I'm seeing in here, which is a start, but hopefully they get the root cause identified and resolved quickly.

Julio13

Reaction score
Mine seems it was from the one of the screw holes when I wash my truck I saw moisture in mine I removed it to check and it had water inside I payed it flat and saw water draining out from one of the holes. I chatted with Javier from recon and should be getting new one tomorrow I’m probably silicone screw holes and not tighten it so much as to make it flush

1500DFW

Reaction score
Knock on wood but my condensation has gone away and been through multiple car washes with no issues

So you did have condensation at one point? I’m not sure it won’t happen again. Have you tried spraying water directly in the screw holes? Hopefully it’s all gone but I’d want to make sure if it were me.

U

User_63152

I have been through a few car washes and a pretty big rain storm. I don't see any water/condensation in my light, thank goodness. Hopefully it will stay that way.

bendini

Reaction score
I had some slight condensation right after install but haven't seen anything yet. Car wash I go to basically sprays directly into screw holes so hoping I'm good
So you did have condensation at one point? I’m not sure it won’t happen again. Have you tried spraying water directly in the screw holes? Hopefully it’s all gone but I’d want to make sure if it were me

Users who are viewing this thread