5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon LED 3rd Brake Light 2019+

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice find.... these are interesting!

I'd like to see some more photos or videos of these as well. I can't find any information on them whatsoever aside from Recon's website. I know they won't work with my current mirrors, but it would still be cool to see a review on these in greater detail.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wonder if they’d be willing to swap it out for you. Several have talked highly on their customer service. That would frustrate the hell out of me personally.

Just noticed that mine has moisture in it also..
I can almost swear that I didn’t crack it installing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So…I don’t think I cracked the light on install but maybe I did. But this is something everyone may want to keep an eye on. Noticed this after washing my truck today. Doesn’t seem to be any sign of water inside the cab. But who knows.
e3d7cf1d0a2f72441f28dfad29a9eeaf.jpg

88e1ff42da4a904d6cd148530c8728f0.jpg

Same spot as you. Did you ever reach out to them?

1500DFW

Reaction score
Just noticed that mine has moisture in it also..
I can almost swear that I didn’t crack it installing..

I’m 99% sure I didn’t crack mine. I didn’t hear anything and I don’t see anything. I sent them the pictures of moisture I had in mine. They sent me a replacement that will he here Tuesday and a prepaid label to ship the old one back.

If you’re having an issue too I’m guessing it’s a flaw or cheaply built.

Maybe I’ll check over the new one and silicone along the edges on the underside of the light. I don’t know. I feel like we shouldn’t have to modify brand new parts.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
sadly thats been my experience from most of these cheaper aftermarket lights. which was why i was hesitant to buy this one, but with the discount and no key fob issues it was worth the risk.

take some pics and send them to recon to see if they warranty it.

DeV

Reaction score
sadly thats been my experience from most of these cheaper aftermarket lights. which was why i was hesitant to buy this one, but with the discount and no key fob issues it was worth the risk.
Sad part is, it wasn't cheap...

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
Got mine installed yesterday. It’s not super bright but it’ll help at night and it’s brighter than stock.

2693053c6086e85203d97934d8764d1c.jpg

4c2b5a03bf4117a4b758943ed97ecdcc.jpg

d808bb6df8ad1b7b2b1bc5ce7c640e01.jpg

682b62624fb1ec2591eb2d325cca4223.jpg

d6ac509e7f1b26a959a3a652becc858f.jpg

fe536f3052f8beace66f3715bdec4293.jpg

94f605c21f556a87af37315b085de237.jpg

0ff944f2873b97952331f1e2e59a7f73.jpg

72797058ac1396cc53b8dd1b4cb5b802.jpg

64c9561fe61ebf5ab8b4aa8bf8f4fb45.jpg

7c5a1ace333d5a5b7c3cb7948519eae4.jpg

Last edited:

1500DFW

Reaction score
So I got my replacement light today. Looking at the bottom of the light I noticed a section of the clear plastic on the bottom of the light that was damaged. It’s about an inch long and looks like it was hit with a hammer or something.

I noticed that exact same piece of cracked/crumbled plastic on the bottom of the original light.

I don’t know how that’s possible. Anybody else have that on their light? I wonder if that’s where the moisture may be coming in.

Anybody else notice any moisture issues?

I attached a couple pictures. It’s kind of hard to see but the damage is definitely there on both lights.
3958794e55d90f1bcdb036b781ef2942.jpg

78da50d688f06f72b7d0764ba39f938a.jpg

8e122c1409a341517d2c2bdf960c01bf.jpg

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got my replacement light today. Looking at the bottom of the light I noticed a section of the clear plastic on the bottom of the light that was damaged. It’s about an inch long and looks like it was hit with a hammer or something.

I noticed that exact same piece of cracked/crumbled plastic on the bottom of the original light.

I don’t know how that’s possible. Anybody else have that on their light? I wonder if that’s where the moisture may be coming in.

I attached a couple pictures. It’s kind of hard to see but the damage is definitely there on both lights.

They’re sending a new unit out to me.. When I receive it I will inspect.
I asked if they recommend anything for the install. The guy said to maybe use RTV Silicone around the base??..

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked again today on mine. No signs of leaks or moisture inside the unit. I did not notice a hairline crack or imperfection in the plastic along the bottom of mine, but I also wasn’t looking that closely either. I’ll take a closer look tomorrow morning to see if mine has similar markings.

1500DFW

Reaction score
I checked again today on mine. No signs of leaks or moisture inside the unit. I did not notice a hairline crack or imperfection in the plastic along the bottom of mine, but I also wasn’t looking that closely either. I’ll take a closer look tomorrow morning to see if mine has similar markings.

If you have the same damage/imperfection that I have you’ll be able to see it with the light installed. It’ll be on the bottom of the light around the middle right side. At the edge of the plastic.

1500DFW

Reaction score
It looks like these lights definitely have a repeated issue. I guess I’ll just silicone the replacement unit I got and call it a day. It looks like the gasket on the new one is not as thick as the original. Still pretty beefy and should do the job well but less risk of damage getting it flush.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
But for a little more you can get an Oem led unit and not worry about the hit or miss quality issues that come with recon parts

Sadly it seems my prediction was correct.

Luckily mine has no issues. And I’ve gone through a few car washes

U

User_63152

Well, from working in a few plastics factories, I can tell you that it's the injection/break away point from the mold. Yours looks horrible! It should never have passed QC. Mine didn't look too bad, thank goodness.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Installed the light about 30 minutes ago and snapped a few pictures during the swap. Recons shipping is no joke. Ordered Thursday evening, and on my doorstep Saturday morning. I work in the shipping industry so I try to recognize great shipping service when worthy. They wasted absolutely no time getting this sent out to the carrier.

Packaging was well done. The light was sealed in a plastic bag surrounded completely by 1 or more layers of styrofoam inside the box.

After unpacking, I immediately noticed the depth to this light. I imagined it to be flat and flush like the factory 3rd brake light, but this is noticeably thicker. It actually sticks out from the top of the cab once installed, and I was unsure if I was going to like this, but I must say it doesn’t look bad at all in my opinion. I actually sort of like the added depth to it. I also noticed how thick the foam gasket seal is on this light as well. It seems to be well made and I’m hopeful that it will create a water tight seal.

Installation was a breeze like you would probably imagine it to be. Four phillips head screws hold in the existing factory light. Those will need to be removed and then reused for the new Recon light. Remove the old light by pulling out and towards you once the screws have been removed. Disconnect the wiring connector, and reinstall the new light in the reverse order. One thing to note is that you should be sure to tighten each of the four screws gradually. Do not excessively tighten one at a time. Remember that you are working with plastic and if too much force is applied to one side before the other it could crack. I found working the screws in together also helped align everything easily as well. I did have to apply a decent amount pressure to the light as I was tightening the screws to get the lip of the light lined up with the truck, but I made it happen. I’ve read a few others claiming this was a slight issue for them as well so just know it may take a little force while tightening the screws to get it sitting flush where it should be.

So the main question. Does it interfere with the key fob? Keep in mind that I haven’t had a chance to test this out fully, but I have had no issues whatsoever. I locked and unlocked the truck probably 20-30 times after installing, and it worked flawlessly. Remote start was tried twice, and also worked as expected both times. Give me some more time with this light, and I’ll be happy to give you a longer term update if I run into any issues.

I have not tested for water leaks yet but have it on my to do list asap. As you may see from my photos, my truck is pretty dirty. I’m hoping to wash it sometime in the next day or two, and I’ll see if I notice any water leaks inside the cab at that time.

The Recon light seems quite a bit brighter than the halogen bulbs, but I’ve only had a chance to see this in the daylight so far. I’ll see if I can grab a photo or two as it starts to get darker out. For those of you running LED bulbs in your existing 3rd brake light, I’m unsure how the brightness will compare between the two since I have no way to test against each other.

not completely in the clear yet since I’m still waiting to see how it does against water leaks and fob interference long term, but so far so good!
Looks really good!

1500DFW

Reaction score
Well, from working in a few plastics factories, I can tell you that it's the injection/break away point from the mold. Yours looks horrible! It should never have passed QC. Mine didn't look too bad, thank goodness.

Do you suspect that is the point where the moisture is getting in?

Users who are viewing this thread