5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon LED 3rd Brake Light 2019+

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
or I will smash the crap out of it, take a picture, then email the pic to Recon with a note stating "This is how I feel about your product".
One side of me says this might just be a tad overkill... but at the same time, the other side of me would really like to see this lol.
Oh and the condensation bug finally got me! Unfortunately, it wasn't my Recon light though... We just had a few days of really hard rain and I noticed my driver's side taillight now has moisture buildup all inside the lens. I just bought these in January SMH.

Attachments

• 34544428-F884-4588-93BF-95112A5C86EC.jpeg
    34544428-F884-4588-93BF-95112A5C86EC.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 63

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One side of me says this might just be a tad overkill... but at the same time, the other side of me would really like to see this lol.
Oh and the condensation bug finally got me! Unfortunately, it wasn't my Recon light though... We just had a few days of really hard rain and I noticed my driver's side taillight now has moisture buildup all inside the lens. I just bought these in January SMH.
That's usually from a seal on the bulb not sealing.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's usually from a seal on the bulb not sealing.
Is that something that would be fixable with the LED housings if so? I haven't really had a chance to look into it yet. I believe I read that the plastic housings are also known for hairline cracking so I hope that isn't the case. Hoping to take a closer look at it today or tomorrow when I get some time to see if I can pinpoint the source. Its nothing drastic, just enough to irritate me lol. Even more so with considering what it would cost to replace the whole unit if it ends up becoming worse and it isn't repairable.

U

User_63152

Man, that is just unacceptable.

1500DFW

Reaction score

Is that an OEM taillight?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is that something that would be fixable with the LED housings if so? I haven't really had a chance to look into it yet. I believe I read that the plastic housings are also known for hairline cracking so I hope that isn't the case. Hoping to take a closer look at it today or tomorrow when I get some time to see if I can pinpoint the source. Its nothing drastic, just enough to irritate me lol. Even more so with considering what it would cost to replace the whole unit if it ends up becoming worse and it isn't repairable.
I haven't seen the back of the LED tails to see what they look like

U

User_63152

Just for the heck of it, I replaced the original black screws (since they were covered in silicone) with stainless ones I got from the hardware store. (y)

Brooklyn 22 laramie

Reaction score
I just put mine on. It does stick out. Has yours been good no issues i put some sealer we use at work on underground splice closures on the gasket. Just for good measure.

jsimon26

Reaction score
I bought another pair of the LASFIT LED's for the cargos and reinstalled the OEM housing. Had to clean off the silicone from the screws. What a mess. I left the brake light bulb stock halogen. Good enough. Maybe I will get the lens tinted. Really don't want to deal with it anymore, honestly. I am going to just toss the Recon housing in the trash. Unless someone wants it for cheap, cheap, cheap!!!

Either that, or I will smash the crap out of it, take a picture, then email the pic to Recon with a note stating "This is how I feel about your product".

Well, maybe that is carrying it too far. 🤷‍♂️
Any chance you still have the Recon light? I'll take it off your hands if so

Marxvp1

Reaction score
So I got my replacement light today. Looking at the bottom of the light I noticed a section of the clear plastic on the bottom of the light that was damaged. It’s about an inch long and looks like it was hit with a hammer or something.

I noticed that exact same piece of cracked/crumbled plastic on the bottom of the original light.

I don’t know how that’s possible. Anybody else have that on their light? I wonder if that’s where the moisture may be coming in.

Anybody else notice any moisture issues?

I attached a couple pictures. It’s kind of hard to see but the damage is definitely there on both lights.
3958794e55d90f1bcdb036b781ef2942.jpg

78da50d688f06f72b7d0764ba39f938a.jpg

8e122c1409a341517d2c2bdf960c01bf.jpg

I just got mine yesterday with the same "damage". I emailed them pictures that I will also attach here, and they said the same thing... it's from the manufacturing process, and they are all that way. So I came on here and found your post. Surprised that there aren't more complaints about this "defect". Guess I'll just try to smooth it out a little with my Dremel tool.

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpg
    IMG_3474.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3475.jpg
    IMG_3475.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 76
U

User_63152

I just got mine yesterday with the same "damage". I emailed them pictures that I will also attach here, and they said the same thing... it's from the manufacturing process, and they are all that way. So I came on here and found your post. Surprised that there aren't more complaints about this "defect". Guess I'll just try to smooth it out a little with my Dremel tool.
It's not "damage". It's the injection point of the plastic from the runner. It's from the molding process.

GARebel19

Reaction score
I can't believe no one makes a reasonably priced LED 3rd brake light for the 5th gen. I would have considered this one but to have these issues while still paying that much is insane.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can't believe no one makes a reasonably priced LED 3rd brake light for the 5th gen. I would have considered this one but to have these issues while still paying that much is insane.

I agree and that's why I went with the Lasfit LED's. $45 for 4 bulbs and $15 to tint the lens. I like the flush OEM look better anyway and now that Lasfit has the key fob bugs worked out, it was a no brainer.

20220731_073959.jpg

U

User_63152

I agree and that's why I went with the Lasfit LED's. $45 for 4 bulbs and $15 to tint the lens. I like the flush OEM look better anyway and now that Lasfit has the key fob bugs worked out, it was a no brainer.

View attachment 135756
I have the LASFIT "bulbs" too. They are brighter (cooler) than Diode Dynamics. I like them a lot. Have had zero problems with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/