5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel TRX has been confirmed by FCA as part of their 5 year plan!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If all you’re going to do is ride around on public roads, then an off road vehicle is not for you. This was never meant to be a vehicle for the drag strip or stop lights.
If you think it'll be driven off road you're in for a surprise. Nobody drives Raptors off road. They are way too expensive to be ripping apart on rocks and tree limbs. They are too big, as well. Maybe they get played with out west in the deserts. 99% will end up being mall crawlers and boulevard bashers.

Chris

Reaction score
If you think it'll be driven off road you're in for a surprise. Nobody drives Raptors off road. They are way too expensive to be ripping apart on rocks and tree limbs. They are too big, as well. Maybe they get played with out west in the deserts. 99% will end up being mall crawlers and boulevard bashers.
The same argument is true for every performance vehicle, so why bother comparing any of them if they are all limited by the exact same restrictions of the malls they inhabit and the babying they undergo? Might as well stop making them altogether, and stick to luxury vehicles with smaller power plants meant for a very comfortable (albeit slow) ride.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The same argument is true for every performance vehicle, so why bother comparing any of them if they are all limited by the exact same restrictions of the malls they inhabit and the babying they undergo? Might as well stop making them altogether, and stick to luxury vehicles with smaller power plants meant for a very comfortable (albeit slow) ride.
I was just saying there will be a lot of buyers thinking they bought a bad fast vehicle and find out it won't be as far up the pecking order as they think.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
You are familiar with the complaints people had with bending the frame on Raptors, yes?
Which occurred not because Ford doesn’t know how to make a truck, but because people were jumping them off of sand dunes far higher than it was designed to handle. These things are expensive enough that the people buying them can afford to pay to play. People take their $100,000+ (on the low end) trophy trucks and damage them all day long at Silver Lake, in Utah, California, etc.
There are a reasons people are fond of off road trucks and they aren’t limited to looks and pavement speed. You may not be one of those people so you aren’t likely to fork over $70k+ on an off road truck, but you are not the market these trucks are being built for.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
I was just saying there will be a lot of buyers thinking they bought a bad fast vehicle and find out it won't be as far up the pecking order as they think.
I think you underestimate the amount of off road enthusiasm out there:
That is but a tip of the iceberg. Remember, this is a country with close to a thousand billionaires and six million millionaires. There are a lot of people who have money for toys. They don’t need a multi-purpose vehicle. They can afford to buy a Challenger Hellcat and a TRX and a Trackhawk: one for the drag strip, one for the dirt, and one for the track (and groceries).

ichime

Reaction score

I see a LOT of Raptors in NYC. While most won't take theirs off-road, a truck like that would be perfect for the notoriously horrible pothole-ridden streets of New York. Hell, I made suspension upgrades on my truck for the sole purpose of dealing with these roads.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see a LOT of Raptors in NYC. While most won't take theirs off-road, a truck like that would be perfect for the notoriously horrible pothole-ridden streets of New York. Hell, I made suspension upgrades on my truck for the sole purpose of dealing with these roads.
You're certainly right about needing better suspension for the roads up north. We hardly see a pothole.
I still figure there will be a bunch buying this truck thinking it'll be bad fast and those will be disappointed.

By the way, Ford announced that they are going to be putting the new Mustang GT500 engine in the Raptor 700+ hp

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
there will be a bunch buying this truck thinking it'll be bad fast and those will be disappointed.
If people buy a six thousand pound truck expecting street speed then they will get what they deserve. If horsepower to weight ratio is your holy grail, you buy a Ducati Panigale V4.
I’m confident the truck buying community is well aware of the speed and acceleration limitations of their trucks.
If speed is your focus, trucks aren’t even in your field of view.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
No doubt about that. That be a $100,000 truck especially with dealer add'l markup. I'm sure it'll take around $100,000 to snag a GT500. The Red Eye is stickering at $90,000 for one with some options
That is possible. More than one Trackhawk sold for over six figures. Personally, I think the truck buying market is a different demographic. I’m sure it will be possible to get Raptor and TRX configurations over six figures, but my guess is, the average transaction price will tend a lot closer to $80,000.
The early adopters will gladly pay six figures, but that is a limited crowd. Once the early adopters have theirs, you will see dealer markups diminish as vehicles sit on lots for months unsold.
As you climb the expense ladder, things start slowing down quickly. $500,000 houses generally take six months or more to sell in any market. I would expect similar for trucks approaching $100,000. That is roughly double the average annual household income from 2016. There are a lot of wealthy people out there, which is why $70,000 trucks sell, but every $10,000 you go above that, your circle of potential buyers starts to shrink quickly.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
A Power Wagon with a 426 would be awesome and cheaper than a Hellcat TRX. Just sayin'

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
I linked the C&D article but haven't seen anywhere that Ford has announced it.
I wasn’t able to find the arricle, but Car and Driver once predicted the TRX would have a start price of $55,000 and be available by “the end of the year”.
That was in 2017.
So their crystal ball is highly unreliable. There were also rumors of Ford putting their 427 (7.0L) engine in the updated Raptor (naturally aspirated). If they did go with the SC 5.2L, it would likely have different performance numbers than the GT 500 as truck engines are tuned for higher reliability (the same 6.4L 392 has more horsepower in the Challenger/Charger than the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and the Ram Power Wagon).
Here’s to the horsepower wars - cheers!

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
A Power Wagon with a 426 would be awesome and cheaper than a Hellcat TRX. Just sayin'
True, but those are two very different trucks for different purposes. The Power Wagon is the perfect work truck to have on a farm where you’re likely to spend a fair amount of time in the mud.
The TRX is more focused on speed over uneven terrain.

Chris

Reaction score
If people buy a six thousand pound truck expecting street speed then they will get what they deserve. If horsepower to weight ratio is your holy grail, you buy a Ducati Panigale V4.
I’m confident the truck buying community is well aware of the speed and acceleration limitations of their trucks.
If speed is your focus, trucks aren’t even in your field of view.
Electric is the holy grail of short range but very high power to weight, like the Lightning LS-218.

Users who are viewing this thread