5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello,

Lurker here.

I found this issue on my 2020 Laramie.

I’ve read some post of people having the same issue over and over. That issue makes me want to sell my truck. I live in a cold and rainy climate.

I’m taking my truck into the dealership for a “asssesment” and hopefully it won’t be expensive. My truck is out of warranty.
If you get another truck, don't get a chevy because they have the same issue. You could also switch to a solid rear window.

Turey22

Reaction score
If it’s a broken frame or cracked glass. Your insurance will cover it. Usually a $250 deductible. If you have to pay for ram to change it. It’s around $1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information.

Turey22

Reaction score
If you get another truck, don't get a chevy because they have the same issue. You could also switch to a solid rear window.
Like scram1500 and you mentioned, I might just go solid rear window.

Turey22

Reaction score
I went to the dealership.

The service department said they would reach out to FCA to see if they would do a goodwill replacement.

The service department manager did tell me to seal my antenna.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Ram. My leaking rear window was replaced/fixed under warranty back in 2020. Now I just passed 41000 miles and the dealership that replaced the window says that its not even covered under my Mopar extended warranty.

Turey22

Reaction score
Hello again, so it does appear that it is my rear window. I seal the antenna left it out during a stormy night and it still leaked. I’m at 34K miles on my truck.

I was deployed for six months and the truck was sitting in my driveway, and my wife rarely drove it and never noticed it because it was not being driven. My three-year warranty ended in May so I asked the service manager if you could reach out to FCA last week. He said he had but we had not heard anything from them. What would be the best way for me to reach out?

Thanks for all the help and assistance

slatersan

Reaction score
Last edited:

jayco437

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue where their VIN the dealer says their VIN indicates they aren't eligible for the repair at the dealership, but they appear to meet the requirements from the TSB?

Or maybe can look and see what I'm missing (maybe I'm not covered?)

The TSB says:

2019 - 2021 (DT) RAM 1500 Pickup
This bulletin applies to vehicles built on and before September 30, 2020
(MDH 0930XX) equipped with a Rear Power Sliding Window (Sales Code
GFE) or Rear Sliding Window (Sales Code GFD).

1. I have a 2020 Laramie
  2. I have a rear power sliding window
  3. I have a DATE OF MFR (BUILT) stamp of 8-20 (built in August 2020, right?)
  4. I clearly have the crack that's pictured in the TSB on the interior of my window, along with the water leakage

I've been to 2 dealerships, they say my VIN isn't covered by the rear window replacement even though I appear to meet the criteria for "Vehicles affected"

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue where their VIN indicates they aren't eligible for the repair at the dealership, but they appear to meet the requirements from the TSB?

Or maybe can look and see what I'm missing (maybe I'm not covered?)

The TSB says:

1. I have a 2020 Laramie
  2. I have a rear power sliding window
  3. I have a DATE OF MFR (BUILT) stamp of 8-20 (built in August 2020, right?)
  4. I clearly have the crack that's pictured in the TSB on the interior of my window, along with the water leakage

I've been to 2 dealerships, they say my VIN isn't covered by the rear window replacement even though I appear to meet the criteria for "Vehicles affected"
last 6 digits of your VIN?

azzx

Reaction score
I have been following this thread for the past 4 years.
My Ram is going to be 5 years old on Dec. 28th.
Are there any Rams out there that are 5 years old without this problem?
Needless to say, I do check for leaks/cracks a few times a year. So far, I don't see anything pointing to a crack or a leak.
Notes:
. my truck is always garaged.
. I live in AZ - so barely any rain during the year!!
. The truck sat in snow for a few days last winter when I was at my cabin in N. AZ
. Some rain on the truck while driving in the rain

I have the extended warranty so not much concerned about coverage. It makes sense that there is an issue with leaks due to the number of owners having the issue.
Just curious about # of folks with older DT trucks with no issues based on any factor
Thanks

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been following this thread for the past 4 years.
My Ram is going to be 5 years old on Dec. 28th.
Are there any Rams out there that are 5 years old without this problem?
Needless to say, I do check for leaks/cracks a few times a year. So far, I don't see anything pointing to a crack or a leak.
Notes:
. my truck is always garaged.
. I live in AZ - so barely any rain during the year!!
. The truck sat in snow for a few days last winter when I was at my cabin in N. AZ
. Some rain on the truck while driving in the rain

I have the extended warranty so not much concerned about coverage. It makes sense that there is an issue with leaks due to the number of owners having the issue.
Just curious about # of folks with older DT trucks with no issues based on any factor
Thanks
My truck is 5 years old and I’ve never had the cracked rear window. I did have the leaking brake light and had my headliner replaced when it leaked so they removed my rear window to replace it and installed a new one. This was in my first year of ownership though. So I guess my rear window is about 4.5 years old

GARebel19

Reaction score
I have a thin crack in the usual spot on the drivers side only. It doesn't leak and when I brought it to the dealer last year for another reason I pointed it out. They told me it was a seam in the frame and it's supposed to be there. I didn't push it any further since it doesn't leak but I keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread