5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
To correct that post from a few days ago. Part # 68545973AA is a gasket / weather stripping strip that is applied to Third Brake Light Part #68298380AE to create a double gasket around the top of the light. You will also need new screws and have tightened to 2.8MN / 24" lbs. (DO NOT USE OLD SCREWS)

Ram is currently working on a new REDESIGN third brake light which will be #68298380AG (AG) which is not going to be available till end of March 2021 or early April 2021.

Also Third Brake Light Part #68298380AE & #68298380AF is no longer available it has been discontinued - So it looks like Ram knows they have issues with the light.

So I will have to wait unit March or April to get a dealer to address this issue or Order a new Third brake light and replace it myself.

There is a new part # for the Rear windows but they are all on backorder also.

Last edited:

KSOTI

Reaction score
While it's true TBL"s leak (mine did) these windows will sometimes also leak without visible cracks. (One of my 3 replacement windows did). Also while sealing it seems like a logical idea, I didn't work for mine. Typically water high in the headliner is TBL. If it's the window you will see water drops just like all the pictures you see posted. If you are uncertain which one leaks tape them off so you water test each one individually. It's a good idea to know for certain which one is leaking prior to going to the dealership in case they jump to a conclusion and get it wrong.

RookieDDZ

Reaction score
To correct that post from a few days ago. Part # 68545973AA is a gasket / weather stripping strip that is applied to Third Brake Light Part #68298380AE to creat a double gasket around the top of the light. You will also need new screws and have tightened to 2.8MN / 24" lbs. (DO NOT USE OLD SCREWS)

Ram is currently working on a new REDESIGN third brake light which will be #68298380AG (AG) which is not going to be available till end of March 2021 or early April 2021.

Also Third Brake Light Part #68298380AE & #68298380AF is no longer available it has been discontinued - So it looks like Ram knows they have issues with the light.

So I will have to wait unit March or April to get a dealer to address this issue or Order a new Third brake light and replace it myself.

There is a new part # for the Rear windows but they are all on backorder also.
I haven't had any TBL or window crack issues on my 2020 Laramie, but she is a garage queen these days. I'm thinking of being proactive and replacing the TBL myself and not wait to see IF this happens to me. I mean, how much is the new TBL and a few screws?

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
I haven't had any TBL or window crack issues on my 2020 Laramie, but she is a garage queen these days. I'm thinking of being proactive and replacing the TBL myself and not wait to see IF this happens to me. I mean, how much is the new TBL and a few screws?

Around $35-$45 depending on the dealer

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trucks been at the dealership since Tuesday 2/2, was supposed to be ready Friday but delayed.

To add insult to injury, my loaner is a base model quad cab which has been an absolute blast with 5 F weather and no remote start or heated seats/steering wheel. Cramming the kids into the back seat of the quad cab in their hockey equipment is like cramming clowns into a tiny car...

Bonus: pic of my youngest standing on the ice that came with the loaner.

Wish my window didn’t crack.
d73e7d33568a6950cfdfddb15828d276.jpg

RookieDDZ

Reaction score
Trucks been at the dealership since Tuesday 2/2, was supposed to be ready Friday but delayed.

To add insult to injury, my loaner is a base model quad cab which has been an absolute blast with 5 F weather and no remote start or heated seats/steering wheel. Cramming the kids into the back seat of the quad cab in their hockey equipment is like cramming clowns into a tiny car...

Yes, 100%. This is why I think I'm going to be proactive. I'm not seeing many things wrong with our trucks, but if I can "Dodge" having my truck in the shop for a week, I think I may pull the trigger on this. This small fix will prevent bigger issues.

Kicknsnare

Reaction score
Quick update: Ram cares was able to get me in touch with a case manager. Basically, the case manager (Janet) said my maximum care plan does not cover the cracked window frame. After pleading my case further, she will see if she can get this covered just this one time. Then she told me my dealership refused to do the repair. To be honest, I’m not sure why. Now I have to start from scratch and find a different dealership so they can take pictures again (the first dealership did not upload any pictures). This is turning out to be a huge headache. Anyways, if anybody knows a good dealership in Washington state please let me know.
Thanks!
I am going through the same exact thing, having been rejected by the first dealership, and still trying to find the time to make a second appointment to "diagnose" the known issue. FCA needs to get their dealerships in line. Hopefully the next dealership will make the correct choice. I don't understand why this burden is on us consumers.

vietatran05

Reaction score
I am going through the same exact thing, having been rejected by the first dealership, and still trying to find the time to make a second appointment to "diagnose" the known issue. FCA needs to get their dealerships in line. Hopefully the next dealership will make the correct choice. I don't understand why this burden is on us consumers.
I’m sorry you are going through the same thing. I’m really disappointed with FCA as well.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Dropped mine off today....the loaner is a Jeep Compass lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
I did. One very fine crack on the driver side of the sliding window

Well let us know how it goes, If you can also post the part #'s of the window and third brake light if its on your repair order when you pick it up

whetrick1

Reaction score
Well that's what I like about my dealership. They ordered a new third brake and put it in and it didn't fix the the problem. So they ordered a new rear window and gave me a loaner truck and put mine in the shop to keep it out of the weather. Even after the glass doctor scratched my rear door sill paint and knocked a hole in my new weather tech rear floor mat and my dealership took care of my truck and fixed and replaced the damaged stuff. Can't complain they took care of me.

dschweers

Reaction score
The problem is do you have a guarantee that the new piece will not become a crack again ?
The whole back glass has to be replaced . And your truck must be at the dealer three or four days.

Every new piece will have the same crack ?
I have the same question.

Laztaz5

Reaction score
Has anyone gone to Safelite glass and had them repair the back window? My dealership's price to fix my truck is $1522 to replace the window! I don't have that kind of money. This really should be a manufacture repair!!! BS!!

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone gone to Safelite glass and had them repair the back window? My dealership's price to fix my truck is $1522 to replace the window! I don't have that kind of money. This really should be a manufacture repair!!! BS!!

This is obviously a manufacturer defect...is contact RamCares here if your truck is out of warranty. Or print off all the threads on here and bring it to the sales and service manager

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Call FCA Corporate and create a case. This is a well known and documented issue that they should take care of.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Dropped mine off today....the loaner is a Jeep Compass lol

Hello everyone, we are deeply sorry for the inconveniences and frustration this concern may cause you. We would like you to know that our team is available to you for support during these situations. For an added layer of assistance to your dealer service, please send our team a private message. We would be more than willing to escalate case on your behalf in order to ensure that your questions and concerns are fully addressed.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread