5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plan on replacing the CHMSL gasket/seal while you're at it so you cover all bases. Once you remove the housing it's a hit or miss if it seals back up. No use sealing the window crack if your CHSML seal leaks and soaks your headliner.
Did that the night I came home with the truck. Less than 5 miles on it. I’ve had several rams and they all leak from the light. So I “fix” it now before it even happens. 90BB725C-A7A1-4B6A-A14D-9D9CE1C07D1B.jpeg

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plan on replacing the CHMSL gasket/seal while you're at it so you cover all bases. Once you remove the housing it's a hit or miss if it seals back up. No use sealing the window crack if your CHSML seal leaks and soaks your headliner.

Yep Definitely replace the seal. The original one is basically a one time use design. It won’t reseal very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I couldn’t figure out how to PM you. Could u please let me know the best way to contact u directly? I have a couple of questions for u about my dealership service appointment next week regarding my rear window leak. Thanks.

Thank you for taking the time to follow up, @Mr. Hindsight! Just had a chance to respond to your PM.

PS - Thanks for the assist @brian42!

Mark
RamCares

bass3859

Reaction score
Has anyone that has had their back window replaced due to the cracks experienced the cracks in the replacement? I had mine replaced this past Monday, and hoping it doesn't happen again.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone that has had their back window replaced due to the cracks experienced the cracks in the replacement? I had mine replaced this past Monday, and hoping it doesn't happen again.

I think one person on this thread had it happen. I’m crack free since replacement in May ‘20

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Mine replaced back in April and still looking good so far.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my truck back with the new rear window. Looks great. Mark @ RamCares, Paige from FCA and Safford CDJR in Winchester VA did a great job and pretty quick too. Looking Forward to the results with the next rainy day.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my truck back with the new rear window. Looks great. Mark @ RamCares, Paige from FCA and Safford CDJR in Winchester VA did a great job and pretty quick too. Looking Forward to the results with the next rainy day.

Keep an eye on the 3rd brake light seal. The light had to be removed in order to replace the window. Sometimes they don’t snug it down enough. Worse, that seal is so weak that it doesn’t do well being reinstalled. Most of us replaced that seal with a rubberized solution from Amazon or Lowe’s

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the 3rd brake light seal. The light had to be removed in order to replace the window. Sometimes they don’t snug it down enough. Worse, that seal is so weak that it doesn’t do well being reinstalled. Most of us replaced that seal with a rubberized solution from Amazon or Lowe’s

Thanks for that info, I will definitely be looking!

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Washed my truck today and made sure to aim the spray nozzle on the rear window while on high power “jet spray”. Sprayed it for a good 30 seconds. Looked inside - no leaks anywhere! Happy camper.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Washed my truck today and made sure to aim the spray nozzle on the rear window while on high power “jet spray”. Sprayed it for a good 30 seconds. Looked inside - no leaks anywhere! Happy camper.

Congrats!

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
On the FB page someone posted that a bulletin was released today regarding the cracked window frame issue. Has anyone seen it?

I’d like to know this as well. I just dropped my truck off a few hours ago. They haven’t looked at it yet but hopefully they come across a new bulletin.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well wel well. Checked this morning and my cracks are back. This is the second unit that was installed / replaced in May. Took to dealer who started the process but the window is 3-4 weeks away from delivery. Dealer confirmed there’s a TSB so at least all of our struggles have amounted to something.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well wel well. Checked this morning and my cracks are back. This is the second unit that was installed / replaced in May. Took to dealer who started the process but the window is 3-4 weeks away from delivery. Dealer confirmed there’s a TSB so at least all of our struggles have amounted to something.

That’s ridiculous. If mine cracks I’m either going to seal the crack with RTV or pay out of pocket and get a solid window installed.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s ridiculous. If mine cracks I’m either going to seal the crack with RTV or pay out of pocket and get a solid window installed.

I’m in that position too I think. I asked the dealer if we can just replace with a solid unit and I’d be willing to sign disclosures saying that it’s not the same part etc etc. they have to get district manager approval to do that. I also mentioned to him that there may have been something in the last couple of days from FCA addressing this beyond the TSP and he was going to call and find out. I trust my dealer so I’m confident this works out. I’m tempted to do the urethane fill in that gap too and be done with it forever.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in that position too I think. I asked the dealer if we can just replace with a solid unit and I’d be willing to sign disclosures saying that it’s not the same part etc etc. they have to get district manager approval to do that. I also mentioned to him that there may have been something in the last couple of days from FCA addressing this beyond the TSP and he was going to call and find out. I trust my dealer so I’m confident this works out. I’m tempted to do the urethane fill in that gap too and be done with it forever.

My theory is this..

the crack sucks no doubt especially on a new $50k truck but... to keep replacing the window, while risking damage, just to have the same junk crack again, to me is just plain stupid.

the crack is just a visual eye sore that no one will ever notice. The leak is the problem. The crack will never affect anything. If you can fill the crack with urethane, RTV, silicone etc, stop the leak, then to me it’s “fixed” and you don’t have to keep running back to the dealer for another garbage window that will potentially do the same exact thing. I’ve also been told if you remove the 3rd brake light for more room, you can look down between the body and the window and you’ll be able to see the crack since they usually crack right about where the brake light is. Take the light out, use compressed air to blow it nice and clean, tape the window so reduce having a mess and lay a nice bead of your choice down in there. Use something like a Q-Tip or something to smooth it out so the bead touches the window all the way to the body and the crack should be sealed for good. All those sealants are flexible too so IF the crack were to “flex”, the sealer will still hold and keep it leak free.
Now I may be thinking way too far into it and it won’t work but seems like it will. I also talked to my glass guy today about this. He said a solid back glass is a dealer only item. So he said if I bought the glass, he would do the install for me. If you ever sell or trade, chances of anyone noticing it has a solid glass is slim seeing as many many rams come with it anyway.
Sorry for the rant. That’s the only thing that turns my stomach with this truck. Constantly checking for the stupid crack every single day.

Maconi

Reaction score
Anyone happen to know the TSB number?

I didn't see a TSB but found STAR Case Number: S2023000024

L6O5bQR.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online