5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Finally showed up, took delivery in December 2019. Not sure if I should bother with the dealership now or wait until a crack actually forms

Drip.jpg

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just over 2 months so far on the new window with no issues. Fingers crossed.

I put a dab of clear RTV on the screw holes in the CHSML (I have the plastic washers), waited until it started to tack up, then installed the light. I didn't have any leak issues but I did the weatherstrip seal and the silicone to make sure I never do.
I just purchased a new tractor and I've already damaged one of the ROP lights. When I replaced it with a new one I noticed that the manufacturer used small neoprene O-rings instead of washers on the lens cover screws. I thought that was a pretty reliable method of sealing.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038577 miles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally showed up, took delivery in December 2019. Not sure if I should bother with the dealership now or wait until a crack actually forms

View attachment 66746
I would recommend you telling them about it now. Besides, it may not be a window leak.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038577 miles.

Elhilario23

Reaction score
I don’t got any cracks but i hear a squeaking on the rear on some bumps or when i turn the vehicle on a turn. Like a squeaking or plastic cracking sound. Can this be the window? Is it normal? Anyone with the same issue? Thanks

Elhilario23

Reaction score
I don’t got any cracks but i hear a squeaking on the rear on some bumps or when i turn the vehicle on a turn. Like a squeaking or plastic cracking sound. Can this be the window? Is it normal? Anyone with the same issue? Thanks

Scram1500

Reaction score
I would recommend you telling them about it now. Besides, it may not be a window leak.

May actually may be brake light sine there is no crack in frame yet
Just pulled off my third light to check. For some reason they used a sponge like material as a gasket. It was soaked... Who thought a sponge would make a good gasket? IMG_20200827_173513.jpg

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just pulled off my third light to check. For some reason they used a sponge like material as a gasket. It was soaked... Who thought a sponge would make a good gasket? View attachment 66757
Even more sad since the issue has been around since 4th gens

Many have used this as new gasket material

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 66746
Water is getting in and shouldn't. Take it in, show them the picture, and let them look at it.

Park on an uneven surface for some frame flex and see if a crack appears. In the beginning that's what it took to see the crack in mine. Over time it got wider and was easy to see by the time the dealership replaced it the second time around (the first time they just put in a new CHMSL and called it good).
Even more sad since the issue has been around since 4th gens

Many have used this as new gasket material

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
That's the stuff I used. I put it on after my window was replaced. Hopefully no more leaks.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just pulled off my third light to check. For some reason they used a sponge like material as a gasket. It was soaked... Who thought a sponge would make a good gasket? View attachment 66757
It's not sponge. It's closed cell urethane. What you're seeing is water squeezing out from the outer cells exposed to water. That actually is a good material for this application.

Were there any signs of water in the lamp assembly itself? Were there any signs of water getting past the sealing area (where the gasket meets the body).

Regards,
Dusty

Scram1500

Reaction score
It's not sponge. It's closed cell urethane. What you're seeing is water squeezing out from the outer cells exposed to water. That actually is a good material for this application.

Were there any signs of water in the lamp assembly itself? Were there any signs of water getting past the sealing area (where the gasket meets the body).
That material definitely missed it's calling as a sponge. There was signs of water past the sealing area, not really in the lamp but on the metal behind and a little into the headliner. It's possible it wasn't tight enough to begin with to form the seal correctly. Before I took the light off I pressed on it and it moved in a little but the screws were pretty tight. A better material would be the same type of neoprene from the door seals. I could try tightening it further but the M-D 1033 gasket looks like the way to go

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That material definitely missed it's calling as a sponge. There was signs of water past the sealing area, not really in the lamp but on the metal behind and a little into the headliner. It's possible it wasn't tight enough to begin with to form the seal correctly. Before I took the light off I pressed on it and it moved in a little but the screws were pretty tight. A better material would be the same type of neoprene from the door seals. I could try tightening it further but the M-D 1033 gasket looks like the way to go
Fourth gens had a two screw lens mounting with a similar gasket material. Testing found that unequal pressure along the gasket surface produced voids and allowed water intrusion. In the 5th gens they went to a four screw mounting and more pliable, surface forming closed cell gasket in the belief that a more uniform pressure along the long lens sides would ensure a positive seal.

That seems to have introduced a new and different problem. Note that the two most center screws attach the lens to two thin ribs that are part of the roof stamping. If you have a chance to have that apart again, note how easily it is to push or pull them out of plane. If the two center screws are over tightened this could cause an uneven sealing of the gasket. The field fix for this is to remove the lens assembly, reinstall and retighten the screws in sequence, starting at the center screws and working outward.

Apparently the assembly process at the factory is having a difficult time in controlling tightening sequence and/or pressure. Trying to apply a unlubricated gasket against a freshly painted surface may also be a contributor.

My 5th gens CHMSL original assembly came with a much different gasket material than the one I see in your photos, and it failed. The first replacement had a still different gasket. The third, and current one, looks like yours and also contained small plastic washers under each screw head to prevent leaking through the screw abutment.

As you are probably aware, there's a welded channel strip that runs along the bottom of the CHMSL opening on the inside of the cab. This channel extends almost to the end of the cab corners. When the headliner is wet just at the corners, it's a sure sign the CHMSL is leaking.

Good luck and I hope they get it fixed correctly.

Best regards,
Dusty

Elhilario23

Reaction score
That looks similar to my leaks and it was the 3rd brake light. I don't have the cracks in my window frame yet either.
I do not have a crack but i do have a cracking sound on some bumps or when i turn. It comes from the rear. It looks like it is coming from rear back window. Any body have similar sound?

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my service advisor and explained about the misunderstanding with the case number. He said he'll fix it and not to worry about it, they'll get me taken care of.

I also bought a new Jeep from this dealer last year, but had a poor buying experience. I bought my Ram from a different dealer, but poor experience in their service department. I'm glad I gave them another chance as they're only 6 miles from my home where I bought the Jeep.
Well haven't heard anything yet since taking it in to them in February. I think my patience has had enough. It's leaking now. Time to trade this in on a new F250. I'm not sure the new Ram TRX will be able to handle the extra power without breaking apart. lol

Attachments

• 20200829_044809.jpg
    20200829_044809.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 66

Ccm12

Reaction score
I got 2 cracks on the molding but no leaking that I can observe. Am tempted to just let it ride until I see leaking as I really down want them messing with back window

RamCares

Reaction score
Well haven't heard anything yet since taking it in to them in February. I think my patience has had enough. It's leaking now. Time to trade this in on a new F250. I'm not sure the new Ram TRX will be able to handle the extra power without breaking apart. lol

I am very sorry to hear your sentiments here, Ken. If you are planning to address this leak with your servicing dealer or a different local Ram dealer, our team is just a private message away and more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got 2 cracks on the molding but no leaking that I can observe. Am tempted to just let it ride until I see leaking as I really down want them messing with back window
Leak or not it's still a defect. Why wait until you get water inside that could damage the interior? I would take it in now and get it fixed.

Just my .02

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is finally in the shop now for the rear window replacement... Should be done by end of week. Thanks to Mark @ RamCares for assistance on the case.

RamCares

Reaction score
My truck is finally in the shop now for the rear window replacement... Should be done by end of week. Thanks to Mark @ RamCares for assistance on the case.

You are most welcome, please be sure to keep us posted on your situation!

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread