5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I didn't see a TSB but found STAR Case Number: S2023000024

L6O5bQR.png

Thanks for this.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My theory is this..

the crack sucks no doubt especially on a new $50k truck but... to keep replacing the window, while risking damage, just to have the same junk crack again, to me is just plain stupid.

the crack is just a visual eye sore that no one will ever notice. The leak is the problem. The crack will never affect anything. If you can fill the crack with urethane, RTV, silicone etc, stop the leak, then to me it’s “fixed” and you don’t have to keep running back to the dealer for another garbage window that will potentially do the same exact thing. I’ve also been told if you remove the 3rd brake light for more room, you can look down between the body and the window and you’ll be able to see the crack since they usually crack right about where the brake light is. Take the light out, use compressed air to blow it nice and clean, tape the window so reduce having a mess and lay a nice bead of your choice down in there. Use something like a Q-Tip or something to smooth it out so the bead touches the window all the way to the body and the crack should be sealed for good. All those sealants are flexible too so IF the crack were to “flex”, the sealer will still hold and keep it leak free.
Now I may be thinking way too far into it and it won’t work but seems like it will. I also talked to my glass guy today about this. He said a solid back glass is a dealer only item. So he said if I bought the glass, he would do the install for me. If you ever sell or trade, chances of anyone noticing it has a solid glass is slim seeing as many many rams come with it anyway.
Sorry for the rant. That’s the only thing that turns my stomach with this truck. Constantly checking for the stupid crack every single day.

Since mine has cracked for a second time, I think I’ll give them one more chance at this. The first time it went flawlessly. No collateral damage to the truck. If it cracks with the 3rd window, then I’ll simply fix it myself. Figure I have a warranty for a reason and my dealer has been phenomenal. But I get your point. The stress levels of checking everyday knowing that the crack is coming, isn’t worth experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COSPILOT

Reaction score
You guys have me nervous about the shark fin.
Maui is in severe drought conditions on the leeward side, plus its garaged but we have very little rain and the few we have had it’s in the garage. While I didn’t realize it when I bought the truck, the seal has some gaps. I’m a pretty good silicone person having spent decades in Stainless fabrication where everything is seen but only spot welded and can make silicone look perfect. Tempted to do so out of precautionary measures. High grade black silicone and nobody will ever know.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You guys have me nervous about the shark fin.
Maui is in severe drought conditions on the leeward side, plus its garaged but we have very little rain and the few we have had it’s in the garage. While I didn’t realize it when I bought the truck, the seal has some gaps. I’m a pretty good silicone person having spent decades in Stainless fabrication where everything is seen but only spot welded and can make silicone look perfect. Tempted to do so out of precautionary measures. High grade black silicone and nobody will ever know.

The shark fin has rarely been the issue for leaks. The brake light is most common followed by the window frame and then a distant 3rd is the shark fin

COSPILOT

Reaction score
The shark fin has rarely been the issue for leaks. The brake light is most common followed by the window frame and then a distant 3rd is the shark fin

I’m convinced the previous owner had some contact between the shark fin and maybe a garage door. You have to look hard, but there are visible marks and some gaps, hence not a warranty issue.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m convinced the previous owner had some contact between the shark fin and maybe a garage door. You have to look hard, but there are visible marks and some gaps, hence not a warranty issue.

Ah, that changes things!

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since mine has cracked for a second time, I think I’ll give them one more chance at this. The first time it went flawlessly. No collateral damage to the truck. If it cracks with the 3rd window, then I’ll simply fix it myself. Figure I have a warranty for a reason and my dealer has been phenomenal. But I get your point. The stress levels of checking everyday knowing that the crack is coming, isn’t worth experiencing.

If you resort to fixing yourself, will you get a solid window or do the silicone fix?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you resort to fixing yourself, will you get a solid window or do the silicone fix?

I think the silicon fix if it cracks one more time. This way I retain the original set up for the truck which might come in handy when one day i go to sell or trade the truck in. New owner might wonder why the sliding glass button doesn’t work on the overhead console!

The silicon seems like a very simple solution. Wouldn’t surprise me if RAM goes that route to repair all of them. I doubt they’ll get the manufacturer to re-design the windows.

I saw a Chevy Colorado that had a rubber seal that covered the space between glass and body. That would be another route ram could go to make it a cheap and easy fix. Just develop a seal that inserts and covers the gap.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer just called me and got approval from FCA for the sliding rear window. They want to replace it one more time before considering a solid window unit. Approval came in less than 24 hours. Even though there’s a 3-4 week backlog for the window, dealer said it was expedited in my case and will be here next week. Love my dealer (Ziegler Dodge in Grandville Michigan) And FCA seems to be easy to work with as well.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the silicon fix if it cracks one more time. This way I retain the original set up for the truck which might come in handy when one day i go to sell or trade the truck in. New owner might wonder why the sliding glass button doesn’t work on the overhead console!

The silicon seems like a very simple solution. Wouldn’t surprise me if RAM goes that route to repair all of them. I doubt they’ll get the manufacturer to re-design the windows.

I saw a Chevy Colorado that had a rubber seal that covered the space between glass and body. That would be another route ram could go to make it a cheap and easy fix. Just develop a seal that inserts and covers the gap.

If they designed a seal to go around the window, that would fix multiple issues. Hopefully they come up with something because I’m sure replacing all these windows is getting pricey for FCA.

I’m scared to even use the slider in fear of it cracking. But if silicon will fix it if it cracks, I should just start using it.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they designed a seal to go around the window, that would fix multiple issues. Hopefully they come up with something because I’m sure replacing all these windows is getting pricey for FCA.

I’m scared to even use the slider in fear of it cracking. But if silicon will fix it if it cracks, I should just start using it.

Lol I’m the same way Never ever dared to use the sliding glass. Was afraid it would accelerate the cracks.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol I’m the same way Never ever dared to use the sliding glass. Was afraid it would accelerate the cracks.

Apparently it’s going to crack regardless so I might as well just enjoy it. If it cracks, I’ll try my silicone fix. If that doesn’t work I guess I’ll be going to the dealer

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Do you have a pic of the gaps and the antenna? There is a normal 2-3 mm gap on the back of the fin gasket to allow water to escape. The gasket you can see isn't the sealing gasket on the shark fin, there is an internal near the center of the fin itself.

This is a Silverado antenna, the external gasket is more pronounced on the GM part, but you can see the similarities, especially with the outer backside gap & the center internal gasket which is similar to what RAM uses to actually water seal ....

20180911_163627.jpg.2c13f2a5cadfc4c3b354593543d89663.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I picked up my truck earlier. A new rear window was ordered. Not sure when it’ll be here tho.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked up my truck earlier. A new rear window was ordered. Not sure when it’ll be here tho.

On Thursday my dealer said 3-4 weeks, on Friday when they got FCA approval dealer said should be here in a week. Looks like we have a race.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
On Thursday my dealer said 3-4 weeks, on Friday when they got FCA approval dealer said should be here in a week. Looks like we have a race.

Sounds like we do lol. I asked the service manager if it was approved and he said yes. I then asked about the time frame and he said it wasn’t actually completed in the system yet and that it might show 2 windows available but only 1 is. Whatever that meant. He also mentioned Covid causing delays, which I understand and I’m not in a huge hurry, so that’s fine.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer called today and said window came in. Got message after they closed. So I suspect the window will be swapped someday this week.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Dealer called today and said window came in. Got message after they closed. So I suspect the window will be swapped someday this week.

Well it looks like ur gonna win lol. I haven’t heard anything about my rear window yet.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took truck in at 8a and got it back at 4p with the new sliding backlite. Glass shop now comes to the dealer to do the work so it can be done same day. Had a great experience with my dealer (grandville/Ziegler Dodge Ram in Grandville mich). Took to dealer week ago Thursday, had fca approval last Friday morning, glass showed up this past Tuesday and everything seems to be great. I’ll just have to watch the 3rd brake light to make sure it was tightened down, but it has the gasket I installed so that shouldn’t be an issue. Let’s hope this second replacement backlite holds.

Btw, according to dealer and fca there are no recent updates or new tsb’s aside from the one on here from a few weeks ago. Part number still ends in -AC. Looks the same as my previous backlite.

Last edited:

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Took truck in at 8a and got it back at 4p with the new sliding backlite. Glass shop now comes to the dealer to do the work so it can be done same day. Had a great experience with my dealer (grandville/Ziegler Dodge Ram in Grandville mich). Took to dealer week ago Thursday, had fca approval last Friday morning, glass showed up this past Tuesday and everything seems to be great. I’ll just have to watch the 3rd brake light to make sure it was tightened down, but it has the gasket I installed so that shouldn’t be an issue. Let’s hope this second replacement backlite holds.

Btw, according to dealer and fca there are no recent updates or new tsb’s aside from the one on here from a few weeks ago. Part number still ends in -AC. Looks the same as my previous backlite.

That’s great! I still haven’t heard anything about my window arriving yet. It’s been ten days so far.

Users who are viewing this thread