5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Jim L

Reaction score
Why has Ram not addressed this? It’s the same window and they will leak again. Some are on at least their third window. Mind blowing

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LYDIA:

My entire rear passenger side window spontaneously shattered while driving and FCA is refusing to warranty repair it. Can you assist me in som eway? I believe these hairline cracks were on my window as well which resulted in a weakening that left it susceptible to failure. THANKS!

I am incredibly sorry to hear that this happened, @Ramster1979. Would you mind following up with me via private message to provide additional details of your situation so that we may determine how to best assist at this point? Thank you in advance.

Mark
RamCares

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep us posted. I have your recommended parts on order to address.

I just tried to duplicate/pinpoint my leak using a tea kettle full of water, which worked last time pouring it all over the brake light and rear window.

However, I cannot duplicate this one. Not sure what's going on here.

There is a big rainstorm coming tomorrow so I'll go out and see if it's coming in again.
Got mine back at midday today. What is interesting is that the window is now better centered than the original. The original had an ⅛" gap on the pax side and about a 1/4" gap on the driver side. With the replacement the gaps on both sides are identical. I wonder if the failures were due to windows not being installed squarely, creating enough stress to crack them. With the replacement when I looked between the gap between glass and body, I notice a healthy bead of sealant that was semi-firm. Perhaps this thicker bead will provide a bit more flex to the window frame especially when we go through temperature extremes. Maybe this will allow a bit more expansion and contraction and reduce the risks of cracks. The dealer (Ziegler Dodge/Ram in Grandville, Michigan and Chad (Service Manager)) was outstanding.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Im am battling FCA regarding what seems to be a catastrophic consequence of having these cracks: the entire rear passanger window shattered while driving last week and FCA says its not able to be warranty repaired because "an outside force acted upon it" Trucks are designed to be driven right? How would outside forces not act upon the tires and travel up though the suspension and frame? Would anyone who had these cracks or a blowout of their window be able to help me by providing the last 8 of their VINs? FCA is debying that they have repaired any 2019Rams for this issue but clearly this thread proves otherise

I've never seen the rear window shatter on it's own, just the frame cracks that lead to water seeping in from the left and right side of the crack. I think they meant outside force, like a rock or object being thrown at the glass, not the movement of the truck onto the rear window.

I'm sure this thing shattered on it's own like you said, but you are going to have a hard time convincing the dealer of that based on these pics.

Here is a thread I've found that looks very similar, it's for a older gen truck, but probably a good read to help you with your fight with the dealership: https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/rear-window-exploded-on-its-own.182751/

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Why has Ram not addressed this? It’s the same window and they will leak again. Some are on at least their third window. Mind blowing

The issue is the two different vendors that supply the rear window, they may or may not have an actual fix for this. These vendors also supply GM, and if you check out the Silverado / Sierra forums, they have an even larger thread covering leaking rear windows.

The vendors hopefully have figured this out, because you got a lot of trucks with potentially expensive repairs.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw someone else posted this fix for the third brake light leaking and it also fixed my water leak (y). Removed the original crappy seal and replaced with this..
Screenshot_20200501-084808.png

Jim L

Reaction score
The issue is the two different vendors that supply the rear window, they may or may not have an actual fix for this. These vendors also supply GM, and if you check out the Silverado / Sierra forums, they have an even larger thread covering leaking rear windows.

The vendors hopefully have figured this out, because you got a lot of trucks with potentially expensive repairs.
That is the first real explanation I have heard regarding the cracked windows. Has the two diff vendors been the case for a while or just recently? Thanks

SD Rebel

Reaction score
That is the first real explanation I have heard regarding the cracked windows. Has the two diff vendors been the case for a while or just recently? Thanks

It appears the two different vendors have been there since the beginning, and they supply GM vehicles as well. Not Ford however since they use a completely different design.

Most of this info I gathered is from GM truck forums, where I'm also a member. The 2019-Newer Silverado/Sierra have just as many leak issues as RAMs. They Initially they though it was a seal issue, then realized it was coming from cracks in the frame. Someone there did the homework and found part numbers of 2 manufacturers who make GM specific frames and found both also supplied RAM trucks frames.

I haven't check recently, but they were trying to figure out if one manufacturer was leaking (while the other didn't) and/or if they had an actual upgraded part that wasn't going to fail after installation.

Here is GM's service bulletin on it, stating it could be both the plastic frame or the urethane sealant. I'm posting it because the issue is likely the same for us as well and worth a look: https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/MC-10156903-9999.pdf

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, after 22 months in service I finally have a leak at the back of the cab. The technician performed the diagnostic procedure found in the STAR case I've included. (This Star case was issued on the day I took it in.) After performing the procedure he determined the leak was at the top of the rear window. The window frame IS NOT cracked nor showing any signs of fracture lines. The headliner was wet all along the rear portion where it contacts the top of the window frame, not just the corners.

They had already replaced the CHMSL assembly that includes a new urethane gasket soon after I purchased the truck. The original one had an black, open cell foam gasket. The tech. determined that it was not the source of the leak, nor the shark antenna.

Based on comment from the tech., engineering has found many of these leaks being caused by the urethane sealant that was used. Apparently they've found bubbles in the hardened sealant that eventually produces a loss of seal.

My dealer has a glass shop do all their glass work. Now I'm waiting for a window.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 032192 miles.

Attachments

• Ram DT #S2023000024-1.jpg
    Ram DT #S2023000024-1.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Ram DT #S2023000024-2.jpg
    Ram DT #S2023000024-2.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Ram DT #S2023000024-3.jpg
    Ram DT #S2023000024-3.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Ram DT #S2023000024-4.jpg
    Ram DT #S2023000024-4.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 87

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, after 22 months in service I finally have a leak at the back of the cab. The technician performed the diagnostic procedure found in the STAR case I've included. (This Star case was issued on the day I took it in.) After performing the procedure he determined the leak was at the top of the rear window. The window frame IS NOT cracked nor showing any signs of fracture lines. The headliner was wet all along the rear portion where it contacts the top of the window frame, not just the corners.

They had already replaced the CHMSL assembly that includes a new urethane gasket soon after I purchased the truck. The original one had an black, open cell foam gasket. The tech. determined that it was not the source of the leak, nor the shark antenna.

Based on comment from the tech., engineering has found many of these leaks being caused by the urethane sealant that was used. Apparently they've found bubbles in the hardened sealant that eventually produces a loss of seal.

My dealer has a glass shop do all their glass work. Now I'm waiting for a window.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 032192 miles.

If that’s the case regarding the sealant maybe it’s good news for us with replaced units. I just got mine done Friday and I noticed a healthy bead of sealant between frame and body. Hopefully having humans applying the sealant works better than robot attempts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was my fix.
What did you used to seal them together( end to end)?
e13a4c5c321417ef0402294f1070348b.jpg

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did you used to seal them together( end to end)?
e13a4c5c321417ef0402294f1070348b.jpg
I did the same fix and I didn't use anything to seal the end but made sure not to leave a gap. I suggest having the start and stop point at the bottom of the light assembly not the top. If you are concerned about it then I suppose you could put a bead of super glue across the seam. It works, I ran water over my rear window ( just to make sure it wasn't the window leaking) and third brake light assembly for a good 15 minutes and no water leak.

AlJ

Reaction score
I had the crack in the rear window frame. Had the rear window replaced and it still leaks, but not as bad. I removed the third brake light assembly last week and the bottom of the gasket was saturated. I could squeeze water out of it. Did you find a similar condition when you removed your third brake light assembly?
Third brake light replaced last week, and 17 months after driving the truck off the lot, the truck is leak free. So now I am wondering if it wasn't the third brake light leaking all along, and the crack in the rear window frame just provided a channel for the water to run in easier.

Ramster1979

Reaction score
Got all of it taken care of, will see how the new rear window doing.
8bde7aa285881e73f32081be2c21f688.jpg
Can you help me as my rear window shattered and FCA denied warranty replacement. I need to collect some VINs or at least the last 8 digits to illustrate that Ram is replacing a good number of these faulty rear window but denied mine. The cost to me is $1900+ and my policy isnt covering broken glass

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you help me as my rear window shattered and FCA denied warranty replacement. I need to collect some VINs or at least the last 8 digits to illustrate that Ram is replacing a good number of these faulty rear window but denied mine. The cost to me is $1900+ and my policy isnt covering broken glass
Not to state the obvious but a shattered window is a little different than a leaking window due to a manufacturer defect. I hope it works out for you but it's going to be hard to get FCA to replace a shattered window under warranty unless you can prove without a doubt that it shattered due to the defective frame. Maybe try working through your auto insurance to see if they can help. How did it shatter?

RamLink83

Reaction score
It's raining and just saw a drip from the rear passenger side at the edge of the headliner. No cracks on the rear window yet. Wonder if it's the brake light even if it's at the passenger corner?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's raining and just saw a drip from the rear passenger side at the edge of the headliner. No cracks on the rear window yet. Wonder if it's the brake light even if it's at the passenger corner?
I would def start with the brake light. Mine was dripping from the headliner area and I also do not have cracks. Replacing the seal on the brake light fixed mine.

Users who are viewing this thread