5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Who was this post addressed to?
Yeah, sorry...I thought I hit reply on your post. Was using my phone. I am curious to see if there is a noticable difference from the window on my 2020. Hasn't cracked yet, but probably will at some point. Just recently discovered a water leak which I think is from my 3rd brake light. Going to the dealer later in the weak for their "water guy" to diagnose. Apparently my dealer has a water guy there every Friday. Chrysler must keep him busy if he has to come every week.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I removed the old seal (which was soaked from previous nights rain) and used some goo gone to get the adhesive residue from the old seal off completely before installing the new seal.

Thanks for the reply. What I was thinking was to leave the current one intact and just put the new one on top of it or on the truck it’s self. That way if it doesn’t work, their wouldn’t be any evidence of me messing with it if I had to take it to the dealer later on.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What I was thinking was to leave the current one intact and just put the new one on top of it or on the truck it’s self. That way if it doesn’t work, their wouldn’t be any evidence of me messing with it if I had to take it to the dealer later on.
You can give it a try but I think the light assembly might stick out to far with both seals.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry...I thought I hit reply on your post. Was using my phone. I am curious to see if there is a noticable difference from the window on my 2020. Hasn't cracked yet, but probably will at some point. Just recently discovered a water leak which I think is from my 3rd brake light. Going to the dealer later in the weak for their "water guy" to diagnose. Apparently my dealer has a water guy there every Friday. Chrysler must keep him busy if he has to come every week.
Yeah...The Height of the trim piece is about an 1/8 of an inch Shorter than the one they took out,so the ends and the middle are not as wide (Tall) as the original.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 63

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
You can give it a try but I think the light assembly might stick out to far with both seals.

I ended up just applying it onto the factory seal. I was very careful when screwing the brake light housing back in, making sure I was alternating my screw pattern and gently tightening them. Firmly but not too aggressive since I didn’t want to crack the housing.

The new seal seemed to compress perfectly and the housing doesn’t stick out much more if any at all. It’s supposed to rain pretty good tomorrow. I’m eager to see if this worked for me and I’ll give an update later. Thanks to all for the info.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Well it’s been raining pretty good today and I’ve checked the interior rear window area a number of times and I haven’t noticed a single drop inside. I’m thinking this solved my problem. I’ll update if anything changes. Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it’s been raining pretty good today and I’ve checked the interior rear window area a number of times and I haven’t noticed a single drop inside. I’m thinking this solved my problem. I’ll update if anything changes. Thanks again for the info.

Funny, I’ve done it 3 times today too. Wonder how many others are out there every few hours dreading finding drips inside.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Funny, I’ve done it 3 times today too. Wonder how many others are out there every few hours dreading finding drips inside.....

Lol. I always check it when it rains. Usually it’s about 4 or 5 drips. Did u put the auto and marine weatherstripping on the 3rd brake light too?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol. I always check it when it rains. Usually it’s about 4 or 5 drips. Did u put the auto and marine weatherstripping on the 3rd brake light too?

No I was just checking since this was the first serious rain after getting my rear window replaced.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yea, I park in the garage at home so it's normally at work when I have to find a reason to go outside and check my truck to make sure I don't have any leaks LOL.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was just driving on a paved road and hit a small pot hole, shattered but held together until I drove some more and pieces began to fall out. There was no exterior force on the window. I had noticed that the floor had been wet before but though one of my kids water bottles had leaked. Seeing all these reports of small stress cracks and frame issues I know its hard to connect a smoking gun to a target but theres clearly an issue here that should probably result in a larger recall to address the issue proactively; instead FCA is addressing these case by case. If enough people have an issue it should be addressed and covered, hence trying to obtain VINs of vehicles to see if mine falls into a group of trucks that had the issue addressed

Hi @Ramster1979 - I just had a chance to respond to your PM on this matter!

Mark
RamCares

Leinhauser01

Reaction score
So add me to the pile of leaky back windows. My Rebel is a month old with 1180 miles and I have water dripping today. My frame has no cracks in it and the dealership wants to replace the back window assembly. I told him it might be the 3rd brake light or antenna, and he assured me it isn't. Whatever, why go the expensive route instead of trying the smaller things first. Anyway, they subcontract out to a local glass place. Anything I should be aware of when I get my truck back? Anything I should look for? Or anything I should request? I know that there is the rear air bags, and I'm worried if there is signs of water, they'll just say F-It and go about their business. I hate that at 1180 miles it's going in for warranty work...

omamatt

Reaction score
So add me to the pile of leaky back windows. My Rebel is a month old with 1180 miles and I have water dripping today. My frame has no cracks in it and the dealership wants to replace the back window assembly. I told him it might be the 3rd brake light or antenna, and he assured me it isn't. Whatever, why go the expensive route instead of trying the smaller things first. Anyway, they subcontract out to a local glass place. Anything I should be aware of when I get my truck back? Anything I should look for? Or anything I should request? I know that there is the rear air bags, and I'm worried if there is signs of water, they'll just say F-It and go about their business. I hate that at 1180 miles it's going in for warranty work...

What was your vehicle production date? I’ve had mine since end of March and it rolled off the line 3/7 I believe. This 3rd brake and rear window have me sweating.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be upset if they replaced my whole back window just to get it back and find out it's still leaking from third brake light. I have a 2020 and mine was the third brake light.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I would be upset if they replaced my whole back window just to get it back and find out it's still leaking from third brake light. I have a 2020 and mine was the third brake light.

I agree with that. I’m glad the bigger seal has seemed to work for me. I shouldn’t have had to do that but I would’ve spent more in gas money for the rental, plus my time for the hassle of a replacement window that might not have even fixed the issue. I suggest anyone that has a leak mainly in the rear center with no cracks showing, to try the seal first.

Last edited:

Leinhauser01

Reaction score

I even said something to the Service Advisor. I get that being an Advisor is his job, but I also know that I probably know more of what's going on than he does.

Users who are viewing this thread