5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

steindog

Reaction score
Just looked at my replacement window and if you look at the top of the slider from the inside, you can see the window manufacture date printed in yellow ink. My replacement window has a date of January 2019, so we’ll see if it holds out.
Do you know if the headliner had to be removed to replace the rear slider? This may have been covered already so sorry if I'm repeating a previous topic.

2wd

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the old/original window also tapers. (see picture in post 266).

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I've got an appointment on Monday. They said they need to verify it's covered under warranty and then to order the window/parts.

Florida Truck

Reaction score
Yes, I can’t tell any design change from original window and the replacement window.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what I was trying to figure out. The pic from post 266 shows one that is for sale on eBay and says it fits 2019 and 2020. It doesn't clarify anything else. Can someone look at their original window they have from a 2019 pre-replacement and see if it has the taper. Mine has already been replaced and I do not recall if it did or didn't. If it does, it's likely the same design and will likely break again unless the issue is coming into play at the time of installation by a robot versus a human. At this point, not a day goes by that I don't visit that spot on my back glass with my eyes through the rearview mirror to check for another crack. I will also avoid using the slider in the future. Since the replacement, I only cycled it once to be sure it worked afterwards.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It appears both GM and FCA use the same two vendors suppliers for their rear sliders and both are having issues with leaks. All issues seem to stem from the cab flex and causing the frame on the windows to crack.

What's interesting is on GM forums, their was an initial TSB regarding the rear window leak assuming it was caused by not enough sealant applied during manufacture, which the fix was to apply more sealant. However it could come back a few weeks later after repair and seems to be caused by frame cracks.

Considering they are just figuring this out now, along with what appears to be similar incidents for RAM owners (though not at the same frequency) as there is a giant 78 pg thread about this issue at GM forums for 2019-2020 trucks, even though the RAM DT has been out a lot longer. It wouldn't surprise me that they haven't redesigned the window yet.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really hope there is a change in the design because I don't want to be right back in this same boat when the crack reappears and if a water leak happens. I am tempted to get some expandable foam and spray some into the void behind the rear third high brake light to fill this spot and prevent future water leaks.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
That's what I was trying to figure out. The pic from post 266 shows one that is for sale on eBay and says it fits 2019 and 2020. It doesn't clarify anything else. Can someone look at their original window they have from a 2019 pre-replacement and see if it has the taper. Mine has already been replaced and I do not recall if it did or didn't. If it does, it's likely the same design and will likely break again unless the issue is coming into play at the time of installation by a robot versus a human. At this point, not a day goes by that I don't visit that spot on my back glass with my eyes through the rearview mirror to check for another crack. I will also avoid using the slider in the future. Since the replacement, I only cycled it once to be sure it worked afterwards.
my origional cracked frame window is tapered just like the new ones they are putting in. truck was built 4/18

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've got an appointment on Monday. They said they need to verify it's covered under warranty and then to order the window/parts.

Hey Ken,

Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support if needed. Our team is always just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Hey Ken,

Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support if needed. Our team is always just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares
Thank you Mark

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Mine is tapered also 12/18 build. I'll post a picture in a little.

In the beginning of this thread you can also see the taper in the cracked frames. When I have it in will get them to check the clunk noise going over little bumps too. I got me a real nice clunker. LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200124-160516_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200124-160516_Gallery.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200124_160325.jpg
    20200124_160325.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200124_160244.jpg
    20200124_160244.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 94

Dude Here

Reaction score
Add me to the list 2 cracks on each side of slider. Evidence of leaking on left side crack. No Headliner stain. 2019 with about 2500 miles on it. Don't know when this happened as I only checked due to this post. Forums allow one to have more than one set of eyes. Glad this was brought to my attention before warranty runs out. Unfortunately, this will probably happen again since if would appear no design change has been made. Oh, and my original frame has the tapered edges.

Ataboyrebel

Reaction score
I really hope there is a change in the design because I don't want to be right back in this same boat when the crack reappears and if a water leak happens. I am tempted to get some expandable foam and spray some into the void behind the rear third high brake light to fill this spot and prevent future water leaks.
By the part number, I can assume that is the 5th update of this backglass... Part number ending by AE. AA was the first followed by AB and... B865A6A0-4697-4A59-A9C7-D6A1A75BE93A.png

tonyplants

Reaction score
By the part number, I can assume that is the 5th update of this backglass... Part number ending by AE. AA was the first followed by AB and... View attachment 45001
I had mine replaced with this part number in mid November 2019, no clue why the part numbers have changed altogether.
715bc04c12f47c3519cdb8bf2737d512.jpg
81cb6c7f813b3a53ff7ddcd5cb19fa5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread