5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Rich51

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there any visible evidence of cracks on the outside? Mine do not have the cracks yet but I’m curious if there is any way to see them start forming before the water starts coming in.
I did not have any evidence of the cracks on the outside. When I found the leak and crack inside I looked everywhere.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that pic. My frame isn’t cracked but does have the faint look of it on the left side. But my window still leaks. I wonder how that bulletin would relate to my situation.

ddharris

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that pic. My frame isn’t cracked but does have the faint look of it on the left side. But my window still leaks. I wonder how that bulletin would relate to my situation.
I also have the faint look of an issue on the left side ( looking at it from the inside)of the slider. Almost like a smoothed out area of the plastic. The right side has a cracked line that goes up into the headliner.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
I Just got Mine Back from the Shop 01/29/20,and the window frame looks a little different.
(The top strip looks shorter...or not as high from top to bottom)
I glance at the repair cost when I signed the Pick up slip.
$1384 bucks.
That might include a week worth of Enterprise Rent a Car?
Either way, I got it done, and the Rental was a Laramie Quad Cab.
Wish I had some of those Features on My Lone Star Edition.
(I Know...One of the two spots still looks a little funny...But it is not Cracked)
Eric

Attachments

• IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0613.JPG
    IMG_0613.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 113

Hackmunch

Reaction score
If your window leaks, then it needs to be replaced. The leaks have nothing to do with the cracks. Go to the dealer and have it replaced under warranty. It does not have to have cracks to leak. The cracks in the frame have nothing to do with the leaks. The leaks are either caused by faulty sealant applied to the window or faulty rear brake installation. As I have posted on this thread several times, the frame has nothing to do with the sealing properties of the window, the cracks are just a place where the water to run to and exit.
please stop. your spreading false information. zoom in on the attached picture. you can see the crack in the frame goes under the sealer and to the window channel. the water sits right in the outside channel when it rains and goes right down the crack into your car. it as simple as that. ramwindow.jpg

derp

Reaction score
please stop. your spreading false information. zoom in on the attached picture. you can see the crack in the frame goes under the sealer and to the window channel. the water sits right in the outside channel when it rains and goes right down the crack into your car. it as simple as that. View attachment 45459
do you have a higher res or more zoomed in version of this pic? I'd like to see some more about this.

derp

Reaction score
I'm not yet affected but I am concerned and will be applying a little insurance against this soon.
1580487697833.png

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I Just got Mine Back from the Shop 01/29/20,and the window frame looks a little different.
(The top strip looks shorter...or not as high from top to bottom)
I glance at the repair cost when I signed the Pick up slip.
$1384 bucks.
That might include a week worth of Enterprise Rent a Car?
Either way, I got it done, and the Rental was a Laramie Quad Cab.
Wish I had some of those Features on My Lone Star Edition.
(I Know...One of the two spots still looks a little funny...But it is not Cracked)
Eric
Can you take a tape measure and measure it? I'll measure mine (that don't sound right lol) to see if my cracked frame is a different size.

From looking at the pictures it looks like the same size as mine, but looks can be deceiving. I'm glad your happy with it and don't want to take that away from you. But I thought those pictures were your cracked one until I zoomed in and read your post.

ddharris

Reaction score
On a side note I also checked the part number ordered at the dealership. Part said " tinted glass". Thanks to those who replied about getting non tinted instead of the previous factory installed tinted or privacy glass.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
do you have a higher res or more zoomed in version of this pic? I'd like to see some more about this.
The frame does go under the black seal. In the second picture, you can actually see the crack, going under the black seal.

frame.jpg

frame-2.jpg

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Can you take a tape measure and measure it? I'll measure mine (that don't sound right lol) to see if my cracked frame is a different size.

From looking at the pictures it looks like the same size as mine, but looks can be deceiving. I'm glad your happy with it and don't want to take that away from you. But I thought those pictures were your cracked one until I zoomed in and read your post.
Would be much easier snapping pictures with a second person.
1¹/⁸th @ center of frame
1¹/¹⁶th's @ center of pillar where it's cracked
½" on each end

Attachments

• 20200131_155227.jpg
    20200131_155227.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200131_155331.jpg
    20200131_155331.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200131_155437.jpg
    20200131_155437.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 48

tonyplants

Reaction score
Maybe FCA will rethink using plastic for the frame. Seems to me black powder coated aluminum would be the way to go (if that doesn't lead to the the glass breaking).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Maybe FCA will rethink using plastic for the frame. Seems to me black powder coated aluminum would be the way to go (if that doesn't lead to the the glass breaking).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'm going to tell them I want to inspect the replacement rear window assembly before performing demolition on my new truck. If it's like the replacements on the previous ones shown here, it's not good enough.

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
Would be much easier snapping pictures with a second person.
1¹/⁸th @ center of frame
1¹/¹⁶th's @ center of pillar where it's cracked
½" on each end
I Have 1 1/16" in the Center,1 " above the pillars, and 3/8 on the Ends.
What is your Build Date?
Mine is May,2019
I am Certain my old one is different from this one.
These are my old Window Pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0604.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 44

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
Any crack or cracks are unacceptable, mine had two cracks, same location as others have stated, window leaked at the cracks and was replaced.
I Agree with you...Leaking or Not, Cracks are Not Acceptable.
Mine was leaking,and now I can Check it this weekend for Leaks after it got replaced Monday.
They wanted the sealant to Cure fully before I wash it.

donusaf

Reaction score
I had mine replaced in October today I find it leaking. Don’t know if there is a revised part or is this the newest one.

Attachments

• 1580519182764.jpeg
    1580519182764.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 57

derp

Reaction score
It was very difficult to spot.

Thank you! that shot was invaluable.

As I have said prior, I am going to head this one off before it leaks on me and apply some flexible sealant over the area where the crack is and also around the brake light assembly to form a gasket on top of where the fault will form. this shows me I am likely going to be able to get to the area where the fracture actually happens without any tight spaces tools.

All said, if it doesn't crack on me, I'll never know if it did any good. the only way to know for sure would be to have it crack and still not leak, and I really don't wanna face down that beast with FCA warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread