5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Ataboyrebel

Reaction score
I had mine replaced with this part number in mid November 2019, no clue why the part numbers have changed altogether.
715bc04c12f47c3519cdb8bf2737d512.jpg
81cb6c7f813b3a53ff7ddcd5cb19fa5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Don't know me neither... part number taken on website. But yours is at is 3rd version... At least they seem to upgrade the part!

stevestrike

Reaction score
I'm just now learning about this, so I went out to the truck tonight and was actually surprised that I don't have the dreaded crack. Guess I'll chalk that up to the one thing that's gone right with this truck and keep an eye on it going forward. Build date April/May 2019

Reactions: MJP

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has any tech from fca or the dealer commented in the cause? Is it the seal or flexing between the cab/bed? Be nice to know what is causing the issue and what the “permanent” solution is

blue tom

Reaction score
322d424aac8b65d44839d01e5bd96668.jpg

90ca00b1d145b08057a3171aee007204.jpg

2020 Longhorn, no sunroof, build date 7/19, about 550 miles on the odometer.

I feel like I looked for this last week and didn't notice anything, but I can't be sure.

I don't know if it shows in these phone photos, but there does appear to be some discoloration or straining on the plastic there. I've got a black headliner, but I'll obviously have to keep an eye on this and prepare for what seems inevitable.

I'll see if I can track the progress over time to see if a crack develops slowly, or if it suddenly appears some day or what. Interesting situation for sure.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score

I feel like I looked for this last week and didn't notice anything, but I can't be sure.

I don't know if it shows in these phone photos, but there does appear to be some discoloration or straining on the plastic there. I've got a black headliner, but I'll obviously have to keep an eye on this and prepare for what seems inevitable.

I'll see if I can track the progress over time to see if a crack develops slowly, or if it suddenly appears some day or what. Interesting situation for sure.

Seems like they've done nothing to improve the rear window assembly.

I ended up not going to my appointment today for this issue. I'm going to keep an eye on it and run it for another year hoping they improve the rear window assembly. If not, I'll trade mine in on a new Ford F250 which was my original plan before buying this Big Horn.

Last edited:

LordoftheRams

Reaction score
Mine has the same discoloration at the exact same spot on both sides of the slider. I’m watching it closely as well. I’m thinking it must be from the manufacturing process and these sections have somehow become brittle during manufacturing.

Florida Truck

Reaction score
My new replacement window has the same lines, I’ve been keeping an eye on it.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
For those that have the cracks. Are you opening and closing this window regularly? I opened mine when I took delivery at the dealer but never since and so far no cracks. Just wondering....

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
For those that have the cracks. Are you opening and closing this window regularly? I opened mine when I took delivery at the dealer but never since and so far no cracks. Just wondering....
I opened the rear window on the lot when I bought it to learn all the controls and never opened the window after that.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Mine looks the same.

2wd

Reaction score
I reviewed my records and confirmed they replaced my window with the "AE" part number.

It's been about 45 days, so far so good.

ddharris

Reaction score
Has anyone had the quad cab experience the cracking?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Just noticed mine today . Crack top right of slider. Went through car wash( second time only). Noticed water on my middle back seat by head rest. Water was coming out of the crack on the plastic frame. Checked a couple months ago for cracks with none present . I have used my slider window 3 times at most. Taking it in tomorrow.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
***Please view picture attachment for service note released 1/24/20**

FYI everyone. Getting replacement of entire rear window assembly.
Wow, good to see that FCA is actually acknowledging that the frame crack, is causing leaks. Good for them. If this is a window manufacturers design flaw, I wonder if they will extend the warranty after 36000 miles?

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
***Please view picture attachment for service note released 1/24/20**

FYI everyone. Getting replacement of entire rear window assembly.
Thank you for posting that, that gave me more confidence getting this taken care of.

I called a different dealer and they seemed much more friendlier. I have an appointment next Tuesday to take it in.

Florida Truck

Reaction score
Any crack or cracks are unacceptable, mine had two cracks, same location as others have stated, window leaked at the cracks and was replaced.

LordoftheRams

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there any visible evidence of cracks on the outside? Mine do not have the cracks yet but I’m curious if there is any way to see them start forming before the water starts coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online