5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

SJC5

Reaction score
I just got back from the dealership and they said it’s not covered, even though I have the maximum care plan extended warranty (85,000 miles). I have 37,000 miles on the truck. This is frustrating...anybody have any suggestions?
Wow, the maximum care plan does not cover this. I bought the same plan thinking I have 8 years for the issue to be covered. That is a little scary.

tonyplants

Reaction score
I just got back from the dealership and they said it’s not covered, even though I have the maximum care plan extended warranty (85,000 miles). I have 37,000 miles on the truck. This is frustrating...anybody have any suggestions?
I'd start by creating a private message through this forum to @RamCares. I'd like to know how it goes, since I also have the MOPAR extended warranty.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To all the guys who have had yours replaced: Did the replacement come tinted and with the rear defroster?

d21arren

Reaction score
See below from Ram Cares on this forum. I would reach out to them to see what they can do. You can probably give them your VIN number and location of dealership that you were working with to see what they can do. Good luck

Good afternoon everyone!

We're extremely sorry to hear about the concerns you have all been experiencing. However, please be aware that we do monitor these forums and are documenting appropriately. If any of you would like additional support while working alongside your dealers, or would like to discuss questions/concerns that you might have, please feel free to send our team a private message! We'd be happy to investigate your situations further to see where we can assist in the repair process. Thanks!

Courtney
Ram Cares

Bigga826

Reaction score
Contact Ram cares, its a known issue across the country!

dalailama23

Reaction score
Thats not good to hear keep us informed. I bought the maximum care plan no deductible and if they wont honor this issue with a cracked frame and leak then its worthless making it just another warranty scam. PISSES ME OFF!! i spent a lot of good money on that warranty for peace of mind. Shame on FCA.

vietatran05

Reaction score
See below from Ram Cares on this forum. I would reach out to them to see what they can do. You can probably give them your VIN number and location of dealership that you were working with to see what they can do. Good luck

Good afternoon everyone!

We're extremely sorry to hear about the concerns you have all been experiencing. However, please be aware that we do monitor these forums and are documenting appropriately. If any of you would like additional support while working alongside your dealers, or would like to discuss questions/concerns that you might have, please feel free to send our team a private message! We'd be happy to investigate your situations further to see where we can assist in the repair process. Thanks!

Courtney
Ram Cares
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I’ve reached out to ramcares and will keep you updated.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello--

We appreciate those of you that mention our RamCares team to our fellow forum members for extra support when it comes to concerns like this! If anyone would like us to investigate their situation further, or would like us to advocate on their behalf while getting this addressed by their dealer, please do not hesitate to send us a private message. We understand your frustration and will do our best to assist, should you need the extra support. Thank you everyone!

Courtney
Ram Cares

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Service advisor said mechanic took it off and there wasnt a seal on it from the factory..they were both puzzled, but got all new one now

Yep, I had condensation in the driver's side tail light as well. At least the problems are consistent.

vadedram

Reaction score
So heres an update for me. I havent reached out to ramcares or a dealer yet. Basically because my truck is used and out of warranty. I also dont want to wait forever (which is the typical wait time at my local dealers). And, I am going to go ahead and guess that the cracks are going to come back. But I havev googled the new PN you guys are posting and its only like $600, so I guess thats not that bad. However, I have some new info after further investigation into my leaks. I noticed the fresh air vents leaking, and the next couple paragraphs maybe boring, so you can skip to the fresh air vents section. LOL

After my initial post on here about this (which was just asking about putting silicone on it myself) I bought, as recommended, the Permatex flowable silicone. 4 tubes. I cleaned and let dry around the top of the rear glass and third brake light. I then used two tubes of the Permatex flowable silicone along the top of the rear window. I went all the way across the top except stopped about 4-6 inches from each side because I thought it was just above the cracks and sliding window that was the issue. For the third brake light, I removed it, cleaned the gasket and metal really good, then used some other clear silicone (not the flowable stuff) around the gasket and screwed it in. I put a bunch on, so it mushed out a little. Anyways you couldnt tell I did anything unless you got up really close and stood in the bed of the truck, and starred into the channels around the light and window, even then, you could barely tell.

With that said and done. I went a week or so with no rain. Then it came a flood. I went to check my truck to see how it held up. I have an amp and dual 12" subs under the rear seat. The amp was covered in a ton of condensation, and the carpet was wet. So I decided to tear out the back seats all the rear panels, and pulled the carpet back. I gutted the rear completely. Now I could see everything. I got someone to run a water hose (without a sprayer) along the third brake light and rear window. The cracks on both sides of the sliding rear window now DO NO LEAK like they did before. Which was a constant drip, not a stream. However, the water was pouring (a large stream) in down the interior sides of the rear window in the cab. So basically the water came in from the bottom edges near the doors of the rear window. A LOT. I say it came from bottom, but I really cant tell if it is coming from the bottom or the top, I assumed the top, and then down the sides. Mostly on one side (driver's side). The headliner seemed to remain dry. Anyways. I dried everything up inside and outside. Then I applied 2 more tubes of Permatex flowable silicone, one tube per side of rear window. I started about half way to the sliding glass (about where I stopped before in my first attempt), then applied it all the way to the edge on both sides of the glass. I then pumped a ton of the silicone into the top outer corners of the rear window. The silicone ran down the small side channels of the rear window. About 2 inches dried coming out the bottom of the rear glass. So it looks like it might have sealed all the way down the sides. I will peel that exposed glob off later. I then had a little flowable silicone left over and pumped some along the top of the third brake light just to be sure.

Now, the silicone is probably dry, but my interior is still damp. I have a fan and dehumidifier blowing on the carpet as it is peeled/rolled back. I will put the water hose on it tomorrow to test.

FRESH AIR VENTS - NOW on to something I noticed with the entire rear of the truck gutted. There are 2 black fresh air vents on the back of the cab facing the bed of the truck. Typical. They are like 6"x6", and have these very flimsy/delicate flaps. While I had the person hold the water hose on the top rear edge of the cab and top of the rear glass, I watched the vents fill up with water to the point of them about to start dripping into the cab. With the extent of the rain down pour we had recently, I believe these vents (which are located in the center of the cab and right above where my amp is) are actually what caused the carpet to get damp in the center below my amp, and caused the massive amounts of what looked like condensation all over my amp. I dont think it poured ontop of the amp because that doesnt seem logical.

I can guarantee you if you park level or front of truck down hill, these vents will leak into the cab in a major rain event even though the flaps are closed in those positions. If you park front of truck up hill, then the flaps are probably open, but probably wont leak into cab.

When I do my next water hose test, I will get pictures of the vents filling with water, and post them. Oh and my water hose test was on level ground. I dont think it should be acceptable for water to even get inside of these vents at all, there should be some kind of diverter along the top on the outside. Seems absurd.

vadedram

Reaction score
Alright, I couldnt wait. I checked and the silicone is all dry. I ran a water hose on it again, all over, and then focused on the top corners of the window for a while. NO MORE LEAKS. Well at least for the rear window.

Below are pics showing the areas the water was running in from (not from the frame cracks, but those were leaking also).
IMG_5563.jpg

IMG_5562.jpg
Now for the vents. Below are pics.

IMG_5561.jpg

Yellow points to the ledges that water spills over from the flaps. The red points to the bottom "tray" that looks like it extends out further from the other above ledges, appearing that it could catch the water and direct it outside, however, if you look, the red arrows point to holes where the water just pours into the cab. Now in the pics, it doesnt look that bad this time, but when I did it the other day, these vents were completely wet and dripping on the interior. So I guess this is hit and miss. But as I stated before, these vents are directly above where my amp was, which was covered in water drops, and I had already fixed the third brake light and crack leaks.

IMG_5565.jpg

So basically silicone the exterior along the entire top and down the sides of rear window. Flowable silicone is the best.

jrmitt808

Reaction score
For all those who had the window replaced by the dealership. How long did it take? My dealership has had my truck since Monday. I don't mind the wait hoping they are taking their time to install and allowing it to seal, but wanted to gauge other experiences?

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
For all those who had the window replaced by the dealership. How long did it take? My dealership has had my truck since Monday. I don't mind the wait hoping they are taking their time to install and allowing it to seal, but wanted to gauge other experiences?
It was installed same day but they let it sit another 24 hrs to fully cure. They usually use an outside auto glass company to do it. So it all hinges on their schedule.

jrmitt808

Reaction score
It was installed same day but they let it sit another 24 hrs to fully cure. They usually use an outside auto glass company to do it. So it all hinges on their schedule.
Ok cool, that's what I figured. Will post pics and provide part number once I get my truck back.

KSOTI

Reaction score
The process itself doesn't take long. It all comes down to availability of the glass and scheduling with the glass company. Recommend making sure both of those are locked in prior to dropping the truck off. Otherwise it will just sit there.

jrmitt808

Reaction score
Dealership has had my truck since Monday, and now tells me they don't have to replace the window just the third brake light, I mentioned the cracks, they said the leak was coming from the third brake light. I still want that window replaced and highly doubt they tested that theory of the third brake light. What the hell have they been doing this whole time? The window is there, just replace it!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealership has had my truck since Monday, and now tells me they don't have to replace the window just the third brake light, I mentioned the cracks, they said the leak was coming from the third brake light. I still want that window replaced and highly doubt they tested that theory of the third brake light. What the hell have they been doing this whole time? The window is there, just replace it!
The star case says if it’s visibly cracked and the customer reports leaks to replace the window.

Users who are viewing this thread