5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

djants

Reaction score
What will RamCares do different other than to just bring your truck to the dealership?

Last edited:

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine goes in 8am tuesday morning for the usual service advisor once over, pretty sure they prb have to order and have me
come back, also drivers side tailight is full of condensation, had opposite side replaced in July for the samething..

Attachments

• 1A79CFDE-B412-4E28-B79C-789F8B603C9E.jpeg
    1A79CFDE-B412-4E28-B79C-789F8B603C9E.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 106

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
Do you happen to know the part number of the window they installed? It should be on your service record reciept or the glass itself. Both of mine were PN68303352AE (E being the revision) and they failed. I think they are up to revision G now but don't hold me to it.
The part number on my invoice is 68426398-AC

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
droppd mine off this morning at the dealer got a loaner, just called said gotta order a new third brake light (1st week of march) and new taillight drivers side w be replaced tommrw all under warranty...due to condensation..

KSOTI

Reaction score
droppd mine off this morning at the dealer got a loaner, just called said gotta order a new third brake light (1st week of march) and new taillight drivers side w be replaced tommrw all under warranty...due to condensation..
Yep, I had condensation in the driver's side tail light as well. At least the problems are consistent.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
Yep, I had condensation in the driver's side tail light as well. At least the problems are consistent.
Lol, just noticed the other day that both my headlights had condensation so the dealer ordered 2 new ones today.

Definitely check the rubber molding above the rear window once replaced. They missed putting a piece back on after the repair. Still doesn’t look right but they said it’s the best they can do.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My rear window crack has finally propagated through the whole frame. It was only partial before.

Dealership said everything is approved and my window is on order. No timeline for when it will be in but this Friday will be 2 weeks since my first visit to Ram with this issue.

Truck is pretty damn dirty but I’m trying to hold out until the window is replaced as to not flood my headliner...

f4bb013d14138c1e4584df224d6d88ee.jpg

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Due to this manufacturer defect, I also require this surround repair on both sides of rear sliding window at 58,100 miles on 2019 model. Never been in the cold. Little help @RamCares

I joined the club. 2020 Ram 1500, 9,500miles Manufacture date 09/2019. Noticed the crack on the driver side of the rear window and water leaking during this winter season. Brought it to my dealership, they investigated and determined to replace entire rear window assembly and third break light (I guess for good measure). Waiting for parts to come in, possibly end of January. Attached are some pics and part numbers. Video of my leak here:

PN 68426398AC appears to be FCAs latest revision. I confirmed thats what is on order for me as well. Lets hope it works!

Lol, just noticed the other day that both my headlights had condensation so the dealer ordered 2 new ones today.

Definitely check the rubber molding above the rear window once replaced. They missed putting a piece back on after the repair. Still doesn’t look right but they said it’s the best they can do.

My rear window crack has finally propagated through the whole frame. It was only partial before.

Dealership said everything is approved and my window is on order. No timeline for when it will be in but this Friday will be 2 weeks since my first visit to Ram with this issue.

Truck is pretty damn dirty but I’m trying to hold out until the window is replaced as to not flood my headliner...

Good afternoon everyone!

We're extremely sorry to hear about the concerns you have all been experiencing. However, please be aware that we do monitor these forums and are documenting appropriately. If any of you would like additional support while working alongside your dealers, or would like to discuss questions/concerns that you might have, please feel free to send our team a private message! We'd be happy to investigate your situations further to see where we can assist in the repair process. Thanks!

Courtney
Ram Cares

Last edited:

LHarv

Reaction score
To sum up my entire situation with getting the back window replaced:

Called into my local dealer and from start of the FCA claim and the window getting installed took one week.

- I had a crack on both sides of the powered sliding back window on the molding as most people here do
- Water slowly dripped in when wet outside or visiting the car wash
- The local dealer outsourced to a local glass shop for the repair
- Repair looks good, nothing I've noticed seems broken or misplaced.
- Mine was totally covered under factory warranty as the truck is only 2 years old. 30,000 km.
- Window assembly was replaced with "68426398-AC"

It has now been roughly a week, no cracks or water leaking inside cab at this point. Washed it today and all seems good. I will update as time goes on for long term effect.

vietatran05

Reaction score
To sum up my entire situation with getting the back window replaced:

Called into my local dealer and from start of the FCA claim and the window getting installed took one week.

- I had a crack on both sides of the powered sliding back window on the molding as most people here do
- Water slowly dripped in when wet outside or visiting the car wash
- The local dealer outsourced to a local glass shop for the repair
- Repair looks good, nothing I've noticed seems broken or misplaced.
- Mine was totally covered under factory warranty as the truck is only 2 years old. 30,000 km.
- Window assembly was replaced with "68426398-AC"

It has now been roughly a week, no cracks or water leaking inside cab at this point. Washed it today and all seems good. I will update as time goes on for long term effect.
Thanks for the update. I’m glad everything is fixed now. I’m taking my Rebel in for the same issue tomorrow. I just bought it used with the extended warranty (maximum care plan). So I’m crossing my fingers everything will go smoothly.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be helpful to know, from those who have had the rear window replaced, have the cracks or leaks returned and how long after the replacement did it occur. It would also be helpful to know if you have cracks and no leaks, how long have you had the cracks. For example, in my case, I am aware of cracks in my rear window going on almost two years, with no leaks. Thanks in advance for any input.

stax199

Reaction score
It would be helpful to know, from those who have had the rear window replaced, have the cracks or leaks returned and how long after the replacement did it occur. It would also be helpful to know if you have cracks and no leaks, how long have you had the cracks. For example, in my case, I am aware of cracks in my rear window going on almost two years, with no leaks. Thanks in advance for any input.
I have had my NEW back glass in a week no sign of issue. No leaking. I had cracks on rear window framing no leaks that I ever saw or felt or seen any moisture. FCA covered everything and new rear light above the rear glass. My ram is laramie sport 2019 with 11500 miles..

Randyp79

Reaction score
I took my Ram to local dealer (small town) and they said this is the first one they've seen with the cracked window frame. I showed them the FCA STAR online report and they were shocked. They submitted everything to FCA and ordered the part. However, they are referring the work out to a auto glass company. It makes me nervous they've never done one of these before and I'm just wondering if anyone else has had it referred out to a glass company?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NewRam92

Reaction score
I took my Ram to local dealer (small town) and they said this is the first one they've seen with the cracked window frame. I showed them the FCA STAR online report and they were shocked. They submitted everything to FCA and ordered the part. However, they are referring the work out to a auto glass company. It makes me nervous they've never done one of these before and I'm just wondering if anyone else has had it referred out to a glass company?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yes. That's what they did with mine, and from my understanding, that's typical with these repairs. Personally, I'd prefer it that way. I'd much rather have a professional glass company do this work than the dealership. That's a win for you as a consumer. You're getting a subject matter expert who specializes in these types of repairs.

tonyplants

Reaction score
I had my 2019 (8/18 build) replaced through dealership (PN-68426398AC) using their local glass shop under warranty 18 Nov 2019 with 12,443 miles (my vehicle delivery date was 17 Nov 2018 - so ~ a year into ownership). I have not had any leaks, and no visible cracks to date with ~13,000 more miles and 14 months after being replaced. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. And to be honest, I check it ALL the time now when it rains, when I hand wash it, and when running through touchless...and I cringe when frame is "flexed"...I live in MI, so this is will be 3rd winter in service...based upon TX and CA owners having same issue, I've ruled out the cold causing failures.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

d21arren

Reaction score
Brought my truck into the dealer today to get the back window replaced. They called me back 2 hours later to tell me that the replacement window had a single crack in the fame in the same spot after they pulled it out of the box. Now scheduled for next Thursday to get replaced again. I told the service guy about this forum and that they are replacing the current window with the same part and asked him about warranty. He stated that any part replaced has a 2 year warranty on it. I will be frequently checking this window after install to see if it needs to be replaced again.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Brought my truck into the dealer today to get the back window replaced. They called me back 2 hours later to tell me that the replacement window had a single crack in the fame in the same spot after they pulled it out of the box. Now scheduled for next Thursday to get replaced again. I told the service guy about this forum and that they are replacing the current window with the same part and asked him about warranty. He stated that any part replaced has a 2 year warranty on it. I will be frequently checking this window after install to see if it needs to be replaced again.
Sad that the window frame is that fragile that it breaks in the shipping box.

vietatran05

Reaction score
I just got back from the dealership and they said it’s not covered, even though I have the maximum care plan extended warranty (85,000 miles). I have 37,000 miles on the truck. This is frustrating...anybody have any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread