5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I found a dent with chipped paint on bottom part of my tailgate after washing it. After watching a guy drying the hood of a Jeep when I dropped my truck off I told them please don't wash the truck. Guy was putting a lot of force drying on one specific spot on the hood most likely creating swirls in the clear coat. Probably missed a spot from washing it and figured he'd buff it out with the rag. Can't fix stupid.
The dent with chipped paint blended in with the dust all over the tailgate. I didn't lease mine, bought it. I now wish I leased it so I can turn it back in at the end of the lease and give them the finger. Probably would've got screwed with a lease somehow anyway. My truck is now a work truck and running it like I stole it. Doesn't matter what brand of vehicle you go with, you're stuck dealing with window lickers everywhere you turn, unfortunately. Next truck I buy will be the cheapest one I can find with no extras.

I hear ya. I always ask for no car washes at the dealer. Maybe I’m a little ocd but I take pride in what I drive and I expect others that do work on it (warranty work / repairing something) are the same as me but I know that’s not the case most of the time. Some people just have that “it’s good enough” attitude especially when it’s not theirs. This is my 3rd vehicle I’ve leased and I wonder how much more pissed I’d be about issues if I was purchasing instead. I know I would try to get out of it asap lol. I was never a fan of leasing until I first tried it in 2014 and since then, I think it’s the only way to go for me.

With that being said, I know their are many more important issues out there which keeps things in perspective but being able to vent on a forum helps sometimes.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I hear ya. I always ask for no car washes at the dealer. Maybe I’m a little ocd but I take pride in what I drive and I expect others that do work on it (warranty work / repairing something) are the same as me but I know that’s not the case most of the time. Some people just have that “it’s good enough” attitude especially when it’s not theirs. This is my 3rd vehicle I’ve leased and I wonder how much more pissed I’d be about issues if I was purchasing instead. I know I would try to get out of it asap lol. I was never a fan of leasing until I first tried it in 2014 and since then, I think it’s the only way to go for me.

With that being said, I know their are many more important issues out there which keeps things in perspective but being able to vent on a forum helps sometimes.
I apologize, guess that was more of a rant than anything else. You have no idea how much I was holding myself back. lol

When I get the motivation I'll wet sand it and polish it out. Can't replace the paint, but can make a little less noticable. The edges of the clearcoat are rough, which reflects light and makes it stand out like a sore thumb. Smoothing the rough edges out will prevent light from reflecting off the damaged clearcoat. Making it less noticable.

The only way to really improve the work ethics of people with the good enough attitude is have the tables turned. But we all know how that would go.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just discovered a soaking wet black seat and cracks on both sides of the sliding window. 8k miles, bought in June. Seems like the recommendation here is to seal up around the third brake light after getting the window replaced or even forgoing the replacement. I wonder why that is not part of the fix?
I apologize for the trouble, @mdschadler. If it would be of interest, our team is a private message away and more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I apologize, guess that was more of a rant than anything else. You have no idea how much I was holding myself back. lol

When I get the motivation I'll wet sand it and polish it out. Can't replace the paint, but can make a little less noticable. The edges of the clearcoat are rough, which reflects light and makes it stand out like a sore thumb. Smoothing the rough edges out will prevent light from reflecting off the damaged clearcoat. Making it less noticable.

The only way to really improve the work ethics of people with the good enough attitude is have the tables turned. But we all know how that would go.

No problem. I completely understand. What I was thinking when I mentioned venting on a forum was kinda me thinking about my complaints with my truck (recently the damage caused from my rear window replacement) and just thinking how minor they are compared to more serious issues in the world, but feeling better that I could post here about them. And it’s a lease so in two years it won’t even matter. Good luck getting ur truck looking decent after ur mishap.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yup looks like the 3rd upper brake light is full of water condensation prob the reason my rear seat is wet, and the taillight that was replaced in August is full of condensation "Again"

Attachments

• 10D9B2FB-3A82-4B64-9485-39779913697B.jpeg
    10D9B2FB-3A82-4B64-9485-39779913697B.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 12440194-669B-4636-A6E5-BAFB245EE709.jpeg
    12440194-669B-4636-A6E5-BAFB245EE709.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 68

Fe2O3-E

Reaction score
Truck went to the dealer this morning for rear window replacement. I confirmed with the service department that the replacement part ordered is 68426398AC. Hope to get the truck back today or tomorrow and nothing gets screwed in the process. Fingers crossed.

James1414d

Reaction score
Sooooo, I've had the cracks for some time and they haven't really bothered me. today though, I noticed a leak. I drove it straight to the dealer who totally blew me off! the writer wouldn't even stick his head in to look at it. so frustrating! The dealership is Lithia CJD of Portland.
I used to be a CJD tech and my old service manager is still in the Chrysler business in Gresham. Luckily they were super cool and got it right in. Unfortunately, they just called and said I need the third brake light and the back glass. they are apparently on back order until March !

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sooooo, I've had the cracks for some time and they haven't really bothered me. today though, I noticed a leak. I drove it straight to the dealer who totally blew me off! the writer wouldn't even stick his head in to look at it. so frustrating! The dealership is Lithia CJD of Portland.
I used to be a CJD tech and my old service manager is still in the Chrysler business in Gresham. Luckily they were super cool and got it right in. Unfortunately, they just called and said I need the third brake light and the back glass. they are apparently on back order until March !
That's BS that the items are backordered to march. People are getting them in a day or 2! As far as the 3rd brake light is concerned, you probably should just change the gasket yourself from the foam thats on there now and use the marine grade one we all use from amazon or lowes, or home depot. You might not even need a 3rd brake light. the cracks are causing the leaks for sure! Call another dealer and ask about part number 68426398AC which is the window assembly and see what they say as far as backlog is concerned. Or shoot a message to mark at @RamCares . He's fantastic in helping move these things along.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
on an unrelated note, is anyone having trouble using tapatalk to access the forum? All of a sudden I'm getting an error saying I don't have permission to post or reply via tapatalk.

James1414d

Reaction score
That's BS that the items are backordered to march. People are getting them in a day or 2! As far as the 3rd brake light is concerned, you probably should just change the gasket yourself from the foam thats on there now and use the marine grade one we all use from amazon or lowes, or home depot. You might not even need a 3rd brake light. the cracks are causing the leaks for sure! Call another dealer and ask about part number 68426398AC which is the window assembly and see what they say as far as backlog is concerned. Or shoot a message to mark at @RamCares . He's fantastic in helping move these things along.
possibly. my leak is about 3/4" to the left of the crack however. they gave me a # to call for FCA. supposedly they will call me back tomorrow. we'll see what happens.

Fe2O3-E

Reaction score
possibly. my leak is about 3/4" to the left of the crack however. they gave me a # to call for FCA. supposedly they will call me back tomorrow. we'll see what happens.
Really, they have YOU doing THEIR job. I'd find a different dealer. When I called my dealership to ask about the crack and leak, they asked me to come by to take some pictures the same day. They sent the pics off to FCA and it took 3 days to get authorization. Once they had that, they ordered the back glass and at the time of order it was estimated a 1-2 week wait for the part. To my surprise I received a call the next day to let me know the part was in and to schedule the replacement.

James1414d

Reaction score
Really, they have YOU doing THEIR job. I'd find a different dealer. When I called my dealership to ask about the crack and leak, they asked me to come by to take some pictures the same day. They sent the pics off to FCA and it took 3 days to get authorization. Once they had that, they ordered the back glass and at the time of order it was estimated a 1-2 week wait for the part. To my surprise I received a call the next day to let me know the part was in and to schedule the replacement.
I totally agree about the dealer should be doing the work. After my experience at Lithia though, I'll jump through the hoops. There aren't that many dealers in this area.
I work at a Subaru dealer as a technician. We bend over backwards to make customers happy and Subaru regularly goodwills repairs that are out of warranty. Not so much with FCA I guess.

johnehr

Reaction score
on an unrelated note, is anyone having trouble using tapatalk to access the forum? All of a sudden I'm getting an error saying I don't have permission to post or reply via tapatalk.
I’m having the same problem with Tapatalk today. Kind of glad to hear that it’s not just me...

Fe2O3-E

Reaction score
I totally agree about the dealer should be doing the work. After my experience at Lithia though, I'll jump through the hoops. There aren't that many dealers in this area.
I work at a Subaru dealer as a technician. We bend over backwards to make customers happy and Subaru regularly goodwills repairs that are out of warranty. Not so much with FCA I guess.
It is sad that the service we get (or don't get) can vary so much from dealer to dealer. I would have to say (knock on wood) that my dealer has been relatively fair in most cases so in that regard, I am lucky. I guess it helps that I have purchased 8 vehicles from them. OMG 8 vehicles! It's definitely time to stop for a while with my 2020 Longhorn. That is unless I hit the lottery so I can get a TRX!

Ctgasman

Reaction score
Add me to the rear window leak club. I had the upper brake light leak months ago and I used a better gasket which worked but now I have water coming from between the glass and frame. I have the cracks starting that everyone is mentioning. This sucks.

Attachments

• 20201101_165709.jpg
    20201101_165709.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 59

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Tapatalk issues on hdrams as well so it's likely related to the recent updates.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add me to the rear window leak club. I had the upper brake light leak months ago and I used a better gasket which worked but now I have water coming from between the glass and frame. I have the cracks starting that everyone is mentioning. This sucks.
Take another look at the gasket around the brake light.

stax199

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to keep me in the loop, I look forward to your next update on this!

Mark
RamCares
Hi Mark,
I just called my merrick dodge dealer to check in on this issue..they have no word or acceptance from FCA.. What can I do to escalate?
Thanks in advance

Fe2O3-E

Reaction score
Truck went to the dealer this morning for rear window replacement. I confirmed with the service department that the replacement part ordered is 68426398AC. Hope to get the truck back today or tomorrow and nothing gets screwed in the process. Fingers crossed.
Was trying to post this earlier but due to the website maintenance, I was not able to. Anyway, got the truck back Wednesday and all seems to be ok so far. Did the CHMSL seal replacement over the weekend. Hopefully no more leaks. :)

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi Mark,
I just called my merrick dodge dealer to check in on this issue..they have no word or acceptance from FCA.. What can I do to escalate?
Thanks in advance
I apologize for the delay, @stax199. Please send a private message with your VIN and contact info so that we may get the escalation process started for you!

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread