5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Ctgasman

Reaction score
Update:brought truck in for leak testing and they called saying there is no leak after 2 hours of testing and never ordered brake light even though I had to add a gasket on mine and my window has the cracks. I mentioned the star report also. I told them if I run a hose without nozzle at top of window I get water inside at which point the tech tells me I'm not suppose to run water on it(how do I wash the car then?) I also say it does it every time it rains. After telling him this is unacceptable for a $56k truck they agreed to test for a few more hours. I will never buy another Ram. I had problems with one many years ago I bought new but gave them another chance even though I was warned by many. What am I suppose to do if they say there is no leak?? The carpet gets wet, I can see it drip from window glass, the cab gets all fogged up on the inside, it will start to get mold, and eventually all my electronics back there will get fried. I am not happy at all, this is a well known problem with leaks back there.
And I have many pictures of it leaking!

RamLink83

Reaction score
And I have many pictures of it leaking!
I'd find a new dealer to work with. I also understand your frustration. These trucks should not be leaking, but Ram seems to keep pushing out leaky trucks from the assembly line. Mine has leaked twice so far in the 10 months I own it. My previous trucks (not ram) never leaked.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
raising my hand, add me to the list..

Attachments

• B5528F77-FC69-4808-96D4-4659391BC493.jpeg
    B5528F77-FC69-4808-96D4-4659391BC493.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 83

Ctgasman

Reaction score
I'd find a new dealer to work with. I also understand your frustration. These trucks should not be leaking, but Ram seems to keep pushing out leaky trucks from the assembly line. Mine has leaked twice so far in the 10 months I own it. My previous trucks (not ram) never leaked.
It's a shame cause the first rep(very nice and understanding)weeks ago that scheduled the water test told me they will order the window and light after I showed the pictures of the cracked window frame, bad gasket on light and water inside on window and headliner. She told me to give the pictures to the rep the day I drop it off. I thought it was all set until the rep the day I dropped it off told me he didnt want nor need the pictures. It's either time to find another dealer farther away or unfortunately it may be time to look at the competition and trade this piece of garbage in. It's the first new car I've owned in 20 years and is very disappointing. I will let them know how satisfied I was with their service on the survey FCA sends after. I was made to feel like I was bothering them and they had better things to do.

Ctgasman

Reaction score
It's a shame cause the first rep(very nice and understanding)weeks ago that scheduled the water test told me they will order the window and light after I showed the pictures of the cracked window frame, bad gasket on light and water inside on window and headliner. She told me to give the pictures to the rep the day I drop it off. I thought it was all set until the rep the day I dropped it off told me he didnt want nor need the pictures. It's either time to find another dealer farther away or unfortunately it may be time to look at the competition and trade this piece of garbage in. It's the first new car I've owned in 20 years and is very disappointing. I will let them know how satisfied I was with their service on the survey FCA sends after. I was made to feel like I was bothering them and they had better things to do.
Well just got call to pick up my truck. They wont replace the leaking brake light because they said I touched it or the window. I asked them what should I do when it leaks again, do I video it, bring it in and point it out to them? I asked what would they do if they were in my situation and they said we would do nothing cause it is not leaking. It's not a small leak I'm talking about either but they are telling me to get the truck and case closed. Ram cares have any advice? This is horrible. I am going to leave a horrible review for the first time in my life.

Harpo61

Reaction score
I would tell them I will take this truck and drive it through the showroom window and just leave it there !!
I did that years ago when I had a new Jeep and told the Service Writer that !
I has a new Jeep Wrangler and as soon the warranty expired the wiper snapped out of the window frame and they did not want to replace it !
I really had to get stern with them and finally I had problem rectified!

PS don’t actually drive your truck through the showroom!
Just let them realize how unhappy you really are with out breaking any laws !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know we shouldn’t have to fix things like this ourselves, but in this case it’s a very easy fix. In the time it would take me to drive to the dealer I fixed it myself. See my earlier post if you’re interested. Super clean, super easy and no hassle at the service department. Worked for me and very happy to have this behind me.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 now has the frame crack on the drivers side of the sliding window. Leaking also.

I remove the third brake light and looked down at the window frame from the top as you said. Not only was it cracked on the drivers side but a crack was forming on the passenger side as well. The passenger side crack has not spread to the inside of the truck yet.

I had a tube of black Dicor self leveling lap sealant used to seal RV roofs. Really good stuff, it flows and remains flexible. I cut the tip so that I got the smallest bead possible. Filled the area between the window glass and the truck body, the full length of the area below the 3rd brake light. The self leveling sealant flowed perfectly into the gap. No mess or cleanup and you’d never know it’s there.

Replaced the 3rd brake light gasket while I was at it. Problem solved!
Did the sealant fix your leak from the cracked frame? Glad I could help!

RamLink83

Reaction score
I used Dicor self leveling lap sealant black (used to seal RV roofs). Completely fills the gap between the cab body and window glass. Lays down smooth. Can’t even tell it’s there and seals completely.
Did you happen to take any before and after pictures? If so, could you post them?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you happen to take any before and after pictures? If so, could you post them?
I didn’t get any pics but I’ll see if I can get a pic without removing the third brake light. Kinda crazy today. Maybe tomorrow.

It did lay in the gap really nice. If you take your time there is no mess. No need to touch the sealant with your finger or anything since it’s self leveling. Just drop the end of the tube into the gap and fill.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t know how good this will show up. Took this close-up shot today. Didn’t want to remove the 3rd brake light so this is the best I could do. Truck is dusty too. Hopefully you can see how smooth it turned out if you zoom in.

Along the top of the picture is the 3rd brake light. Below that the very thin line is the cab paint. Below that is the sealant. And below that is the window glass.

When I did the work I removed the 3rd brake light (replaced the gasket while I was there). Cleaned the area real well with alcohol. Then cut the smallest amount possible from the end of the sealant tube to get a thin, controlled bead. Then inserted the tip into the gap between the glass and the body. Slowly filled the gap taking my time, not moving the tip until I was satisfied with the amount of sealant in the area in front of the tip. Did this for the full length of the area below the 3rd brake light.

Great seal, no leaks. To me it looks factory.

88432752-EE9F-4C49-AD16-918D1C863E15.jpeg

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I had dodged the leaky window issue by buying a 2020 truck, but nope add me to the list now. No visible cracks and I’ve never noticed water after rain or car washes, but it’s leaking for sure.

What made me start looking was a weird rattle from the window from certain bass frequencies.

Attachments

• 25A3F9AA-FFD3-4C2E-964D-1F1F4EFD1DC4.jpeg
    25A3F9AA-FFD3-4C2E-964D-1F1F4EFD1DC4.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 932F3860-18AB-4781-AFF8-E3F07785D404.jpeg
    932F3860-18AB-4781-AFF8-E3F07785D404.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 110

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I had dodged the leaky window issue by buying a 2020 truck, but nope add me to the list now. No visible cracks and I’ve never noticed water after rain or car washes, but it’s leaking for sure.

What made me start looking was a weird rattle from the window from certain bass frequencies.
Can almost guarantee your leak is the 3rd brake light.

knightro84

Reaction score
What I initially thought was a leak just because of the sunroof drain grommet being installed incorrectly turned out to be a combination of that, the third brake light, and this crack that I found today while doing some more leak testing. You can see where I dropped some Permatex flowable silicone yesterday - I had found another smaller crack over near the left side of the passenger side of glass. I don't know how I missed this yesterday but saw it today and dropped some silicone on it. Going to let it cure and leak test again tomorrow, but I'm hoping this ends my leak saga. I didn't see any cracks on the drivers side frame.

I solved the third brake light leak with the thicker weather stripping that others have bought at Lowe's/HD, but actually just installed a 2021 LED third brake light (the new style one with the camera in it). The seal on it seems quite a bit more stout than the one that came on my 2019, so hoping I don't have to end up replacing that seal too. Guess we'll see.

IMG_6294.jpg

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I initially thought was a leak just because of the sunroof drain grommet being installed incorrectly turned out to be a combination of that, the third brake light, and this crack that I found today while doing some more leak testing. You can see where I dropped some Permatex flowable silicone yesterday - I had found another smaller crack over near the left side of the passenger side of glass. I don't know how I missed this yesterday but saw it today and dropped some silicone on it. Going to let it cure and leak test again tomorrow, but I'm hoping this ends my leak saga. I didn't see any cracks on the drivers side frame.

I solved the third brake light leak with the thicker weather stripping that others have bought at Lowe's/HD, but actually just installed a 2021 LED third brake light (the new style one with the camera in it). The seal on it seems quite a bit more stout than the one that came on my 2019, so hoping I don't have to end up replacing that seal too. Guess we'll see.

View attachment 75182

Where exactly is that spot? I can’t visualize it where it would be. Can you post a shot from a bit further back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigga826

Reaction score

My 2020 started like that too, crack will show up soon

Users who are viewing this thread