5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea, I am just using black painters tape until my window comes in. It does the job although I replace it every week just to make sure it stays dry, takes 2 minutes. Make sure to completely tape around the brake light and across the top of the window and don't let any gaps.

View attachment 145593
i get that your doing this but Ram should be ashamed of themselves, $50k truck w tape around the windows should not be the answer..ive replaced mine 3 times now on the dealers dime..the two they have replaced have both leaked.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Another victim of the rear window leak. Don’t see any cracks in the frame. It was a slow stream passenger side. Way we found it was a baby blanket was under the rear seat soaked. It was raining crazy the day we noticed it. Headliner dry. It’s our only vehicle atm. So I’m dreading taken it to the dealer. Hoping just 3rd brake light leak.
Hey @MurphBigHorn

Once you have your dealer appointment in place, please send us a message. We'd love to get you some help with this.

Callie
Ram Cares

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
So I dropped my truck off at the dealership this past Tuesday for the 2nd round of water leaks and headliner staining. They already replaced the rear window several months ago. I was told it was the 3rd brake light this time and that the new assemblies were on back order indefinitely. In the meantime, they claimed a new "foam kit" was available and recommended by the manufacturer. Picked the truck up Tuesday night and got to test it out Wednesday afternoon in the steady downpour we had. Immediately noticed new staining in a different location on the headliner and could see water actively running down the inside of the window frame, above the sliding window. It's now in for the 3rd round of water leak repairs in the last 6 months. I haven't even hit 30,000 miles yet.

It was slightly annoying to be told by the dealership that they didn't leak test the repair because it required 24 hours to cure and they only leak test on Mondays. Personally, I would think the job isn't complete until you can verify it worked.
I wasn't able to get good photos of the wet headliner because of the way the lighting was in the cab but did get decent shots showing the dripping water. Headliner was wet a good 5 inches above the window frame.

Attachments

• IMG_1032[1].JPG
    IMG_1032[1].JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1034[1].JPG
    IMG_1034[1].JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1035[1].JPG
    IMG_1035[1].JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1031[1].JPG
    IMG_1031[1].JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 56

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay...

My dealer has my replacement rear window in hand. My appointment is for next week.

Follow along:
1. These windows have a frame that is pre-attached.
2. The window/frame assembly is installed by running a (heavy?) bead of sealant around the opening in the truck body. (Hopefully the caulk bead is started and finished at the bottom, and run in a continuous, heavy, bead.)
3. Then the window/frame is pushed into place against the sealant.

This is what I'd like to do.
I want to examine the window/frame assembly, and put a tape dam around the top of the frame. Also around the glass. I'd do it so that the top, where the window glass and frame are, can hold water. Then fill my little tape dam/coffer with water...and wait.

My thought is that it is NOT the sealant that is leaking, but it is the window/frame join location that is leaking.

How likely is it that? I'd need a roll of gorilla tape, a hose, and then something to clean off the tape adhesive.

Hmm....

Brookelf

Reaction score
Same problem here 44,000 miles and after rain in Dallas the last few weeks I started to notice a mildew smell. I removed my mats and speaker box to find a puddle of water and mold under them. I thought third brake light since that happened on my 2015 Ram 1500 that I traded in for transmission problems. I ran silicone around the light nope no fix. I took the truck to dealership was told that it wasn't covered under the extended warranty. My service guy said he would try and get it so I only have to pay a deductible since I was close to the factory warranty. I'm do to take the truck in o the 12th for the leak to be found which I've found since then its leaking around frame on passenger side I took a gallon jug of water and let water run around seal and water is streaming into cab at a high rate. I didn't get the extended warranty on the first truck but after numerous problems with the transmission while under warranty I thought with this one I would buy the extended warranty to be safe. Guess I should have read the small print. Hopefully my dealer will make it right or maybe Ram Cares on this forum can start a case for me on a problem that's known to these trucks. The first thing my service guy did was get in the truck and look for cracks and say the frame is what cracks happens all the time. Should there be a disclaimer caution rear window frame cracks. Window needs to be replaced every 30,000 miles as part of your scheduled maintenance. Please make this right RAM!!!!
Got mine fixed at dealership they only covered a portion of the cost I had to pay $400.00 out of pocket. I really can't understand a problem that is so well documented on these trucks that's a factory defect we the consumer have to pay for. I've been burned twice by FCA / Stellantis or whatever they want to call it. First was transmission issues on my 2015 Ram which I traded for this truck now this. I can say this is my last FCA / Stellantis purchase.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got mine fixed at dealership they only covered a portion of the cost I had to pay $400.00 out of pocket. I really can't understand a problem that is so well documented on these trucks that's a factory defect we the consumer have to pay for. I've been burned twice by FCA / Stellantis or whatever they want to call it. First was transmission issues on my 2015 Ram which I traded for this truck now this. I can say this is my last FCA / Stellantis purchase.

Fortunately, all of the other brands are trouble free. 🤣

Brookelf

Reaction score
Fortunately, all of the other brands are trouble free. 🤣
I wouldn't say trouble free LOL. But I would say nothing like my luck with FCA. My Ford F150 ran from 2001 to 2015 before I had any problems out of it. Ill take 14 years any day instead of just past factory warranty. If I keep this up every 3 years new truck new problem. Im now worried how long this window will last if they're replacing it with the same product its only a matter of time.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The newer F150 and GM trucks are also having water intrusion issues. My 2006 Silverado was also a problem free vehicle for 12 years, but the newer materials used are cheaper quality, mostly made in China probably and just not as good as they used to be. We've all said they don't make things like they used to!

JVELAZQUEZ0113

Reaction score
Just wanted to add to this sad, sad list. Another victim of the leak. I have reached out to @RamCares and have a ticket open with my truck at the dealer, so we will see what happens. My truck wouldn’t even go into drive, so currently carless :) really hoping for the best here.

JBDrums08

Reaction score
New to the forum, just bought a used 2019 Ram limited. Super stoked to get one, I’ve always loved Ram trucks. Truck only had just under 33k miles. Got it home for two weeks, when I bought it I went over everything but somehow missed the tiny crack in the top of the rear window frame. Took the family out to a birthday party on a rainy day and when I was putting my kids in the back seat, noticed water dripping off the frame in the cab. Did a quick google search and discovered this problem. Super pissed this appears to be an ongoing widely known issue that Ram hasn’t appeared to come up with some fix for. Anyone have any luck working with Ram Cares? There’s a lot of posts here and I haven’t had time to read through all of it. Haven’t gone to the dealer yet, but appears most people are being quoted around $2100 based on google searches and forum posts. My truck is obviously out of the factory warranty now.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Update: I was told it is still the 3rd brake light that is leaking. The dealer is afraid to remove the existing assembly and risk breaking it, knowing that a replacement cannot be sourced anytime soon. They state they cannot add any additional sealant at this point either. So I'm basically being told to wait it out until a replacement becomes available and hope that mold and excessive moisture/condensation inside the truck doesn't cause any issues. The good news is heavy rain is forecast for the end of this week.

Thanks Ram. :mad:

JVELAZQUEZ0113

Reaction score
New to the forum, just bought a used 2019 Ram limited. Super stoked to get one, I’ve always loved Ram trucks. Truck only had just under 33k miles. Got it home for two weeks, when I bought it I went over everything but somehow missed the tiny crack in the top of the rear window frame. Took the family out to a birthday party on a rainy day and when I was putting my kids in the back seat, noticed water dripping off the frame in the cab. Did a quick google search and discovered this problem. Super pissed this appears to be an ongoing widely known issue that Ram hasn’t appeared to come up with some fix for. Anyone have any luck working with Ram Cares? There’s a lot of posts here and I haven’t had time to read through all of it. Haven’t gone to the dealer yet, but appears most people are being quoted around $2100 based on google searches and forum posts. My truck is obviously out of the factory warranty now.
I reached out to RamCares, got a ticket number, and my truck is currently in the shop. I’ll respond back with any help, or no help that I get. I have seen a few people get some help here as well, so fingers crossed!

Creep0321

Reaction score
@RamCares I just discovered this leak as well directly above the rear passenger headrest. Please let me know best way to move forward.

Attachments

• FF498EC0-F84A-4D9C-9484-F8E5E5F054DE.jpeg
    FF498EC0-F84A-4D9C-9484-F8E5E5F054DE.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 56

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck has been dropped off at the dealership for the rear window swap.

I should be able to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

devzw3

Reaction score
Looks like I’ll join the club with my rear window leak after reading this entire thread now that we finally got some rain for once in the SoCal desert.
2021 Rebel, 48k miles, power rear slider, Camera/LED OEM brake light, and panoramic moonroof.
My leak is at the passenger side far corner, seems to be coming up from higher than the headliner but headliner is dry to the touch. No cracks visible on the interior. I have a feeling it’s cracked right in the channel at the corner outside. Looks like I’ll have to fill ‘er up with some permatex.

Crazy that I’ve already had to replace BOTH exhaust manifolds on this truck at 38k miles (cracked in half in the exact same location each side), a battery that randomly went to crap at 39k miles, and now a window leak on a 2021 $69k truck. I’ve had a lot of Rams and I’m definitely starting to think that it’s better to find something older in good condition than the money spent on these new trucks.
D4071209-6BBE-4BD9-8A26-32D102DA3B2E.jpeg

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Looks like I’ll join the club with my rear window leak after reading this entire thread now that we finally got some rain for once in the SoCal desert.
2021 Rebel, 48k miles, power rear slider, Camera/LED OEM brake light, and panoramic moonroof.
My leak is at the passenger side far corner, seems to be coming up from higher than the headliner but headliner is dry to the touch. No cracks visible on the interior. I have a feeling it’s cracked right in the channel at the corner outside. Looks like I’ll have to fill ‘er up with some permatex.

Crazy that I’ve already had to replace BOTH exhaust manifolds on this truck at 38k miles (cracked in half in the exact same location each side), a battery that randomly went to crap at 39k miles, and now a window leak on a 2021 $69k truck. I’ve had a lot of Rams and I’m definitely starting to think that it’s better to find something older in good condition than the money spent on these new trucks.
View attachment 147160
Just got mine done in Ontario took them 3 days

devzw3

Reaction score
Just got mine done in Ontario took them 3 days
If only I was under warranty, I’d rather try some silly-cone before spending too much out of pocket. I did the manifolds on my own too. Didn’t want to deal with the fight with the dealer to try to get it covered under powertrain since I was already over 36k miles. Not too bad though with the OEM kits at around $80 each (manifold, gasket, heat shield, two metal bracing bars, and all bolts). Driver side was more of a pain to do though labor-wise.

Silicone should be easy enough to hopefully fix this crying window for now (crossing fingers)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If only I was under warranty, I’d rather try some silly-cone before spending too much out of pocket. I did the manifolds on my own too. Didn’t want to deal with the fight with the dealer to try to get it covered under powertrain since I was already over 36k miles. Not too bad though with the OEM kits at around $80 each (manifold, gasket, heat shield, two metal bracing bars, and all bolts). Driver side was more of a pain to do though labor-wise.

Silicone should be easy enough to hopefully fix this crying window for now (crossing fingers)
Use some permatex

devzw3

Reaction score
Use some permatex
Yes, that’s definitely the plan as was said in my first post (#256), it should do the trick! I’ll report back in a couple days as I have a lot of on/off rain coming this week and I have to wait it out so that the permatex will dry completely before the next storm

Users who are viewing this thread