5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer just called and now they are saying they actually think the leak is from the third brake light. It’s a $270 fix and they said still not covered under warranty.
Like @mikeru82 just said, buy the light yourself. There are some discount sellers of oem equipment out there. Less than $50...heck, I think it's less than $30.
And, get some permatex (the stuff we've talked about upstream) and caulk the outside of the window.

That -should- fix it.

(FWIW, my window got fixed under warranty (about 20 months since I bought it). After it got fixed, I used some 3m adhesive on my 3rd brake light foam, and also permatex'ed the new window. Next? Yeah, I'm going to pull out the interior and put waterproofing on the electronics bolted to the back wall.)

Calling it a fiasco would be kind.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Nikdfish

Reaction score
After a day & night of rain, I checked the truck this AM and found the rear carpet damp again, more so on the driver side. It was actually soggy on the outer portion & finger pressure resulted in visible water by the door sill & under the rear seat. Waiting on a call back from the service rep to see how they want to proceed with another fix attempt.

GMetal

Reaction score
The dealer just called and now they are saying they actually think the leak is from the third brake light. It’s a $270 fix and they said still not covered under warranty.
Did they use a magic 8 ball or did they actually run water and look for the leak?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Like @mikeru82 just said, buy the light yourself. There are some discount sellers of oem equipment out there. Less than $50...heck, I think it's less than $30.
And, get some permatex (the stuff we've talked about upstream) and caulk the outside of the window.

That -should- fix it.

(FWIW, my window got fixed under warranty (about 20 months since I bought it). After it got fixed, I used some 3m adhesive on my 3rd brake light foam, and also permatex'ed the new window. Next? Yeah, I'm going to pull out the interior and put waterproofing on the electronics bolted to the back wall.)

Calling it a fiasco would be kind.
Notice I said less than $50 shipped (key word is shipped). The light itself is less than $25, but it's another $20 or so to ship it.

The link I supplied is for the new light with the updated gaskets.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
The only warranty that will cover the leak/frame is the original 3 year / 36K warranty. You are now out based on time, which of course sucks to have this issue. No Mopar warranty, including the Maximum care will cover it. They categorize it on their list of bodywork, paint, glass and water intrusion, which are all exceptions to the warranty.

Your best chance is to ask your selling dealership for some "goodwill" help, and see if they can help you defer the costs. Or you can try the sealant route, which is where I will go should mine eventually crack as well.
Sounds
Just got off the phone with both mopar vehicle protection and ram customer care and neither is going to help me with this leaking window issue. This is really disappointing and really has just solidified we won’t be buying a mopar car ever again.

My car was bought CPO and I bought the 7yr/100,000 mile extended warranty. Ram customer care said I don’t qualify for any goodwill (which apparently works if you’re within 2 years or 24,000 mi after your factory warranty lapses BUT you have to be the original owner apparently). So because I’m the 2nd owner the goodwill doesn’t apply (note: my car is actually only 10 months passed the original 3 year warranty and actually 5k miles BELOW the original 36k mile warranty - but because I’m not original owner then the goodwill doesn’t apply).

As a consumer I thought I did all the right things when buying this truck used - I made sure to buy CPO and made sure to buy the extended warranty direct form mopar. Yep somehow I’m still screwed for something that shouldn’t happen in a car - water leaking into it.

Anyways - any other suggestions on how to resolve?
sounds like some bs to me. I’m the 2nd owner and a few thousand over the 36K and my dealer got me good willed.

Actually dropped it off today and got put in a 6.4L 2500

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright. So, after 6 weeks I finally got mine back. They installed an all new rear window and slider. They used a subcontractor who uses their own installation method. Though it is Mopar glass they use a different sealing technique. So hopefully this never happens again. I got a brand new push button start module as well. I'd like to give a huge shout out to Kira and Ram Customer Care for handling this all for me. Those people are great. Now I have a lot of trails I need to explore.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Just got mine back today as well. I could smell whatever the sealant was they used. Used the rear slider to make sure it was working properly. All looks good. I think I’ll put some permatex in the top groove later, but I’m also debating waiting until it leaks again… idk. I think it might be best to be proactive on this

Nikdfish

Reaction score
Finally got called by the dealer. Taking it back in Monday AM & getting a loaner while they actually do a full remove, reseal, reinstall of the back glass assembly. Apparently they only did a "partial " remove, reseal, reinstall when I took it in last time (?).

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Also wanted to add that it looks like the glass company added some type of weather stripping seal in the groove at the top of the window. It definitely wasn’t on there with the old one. Gives me a little more reassurance. Everything looks put back together well. Supposed to rain later.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Greetings from Seattle, where it rains every other day. I drove my truck three weeks ago during heavy rain and parked it in the garage after that. Haven't used the truck since.
Went for quick drive this week and saw A LOT of mold. Freaked out a little. Spent 4 hours removing all my belonging (covered in mold too) and trying to get rid of mildew smell, including fogger and new cabin filter.
Decided to see if the rear window was leaking, so left the car outside during the mild rain. And I saw water drops and mentioned the cracks on top corners of the sliding window trim.
Scheduled a visit to the dealership to fix the leak under TSB. Let's see how it goes.

photo_2023-01-29_17-38-41.jpg

Sportznut

Reaction score
We should all focus on the mold and not the leak.

We start showing concern for health issues due to mold I would think Ram would freak out and finally do the right thing by doing a recall. Could you imagine the potential liability if just one person gets sick due to mold from a leaky window?

I don't like our sue happy country but I would think a good attorney could put together a class action suit pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Luckily for me, I didn't have a leak large enough to cause mold. I did use the Permatex flowable caulk about 2 months ago, but haven't forced water into the channel or had any measurable rain since I did this.

Saturday, I intentionally forced a ton of water over the back window where my leak was. It was completely dry inside. I will add another layer of Permatex this week as an insurance policy against the leaks. I've heard of the window being replaced, only to leak again, so I will address this fix without the dealership's assistance.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Luckily for me, I didn't have a leak large enough to cause mold. I did use the Permatex flowable caulk about 2 months ago, but haven't forced water into the channel or had any measurable rain since I did this.

Saturday, I intentionally forced a ton of water over the back window where my leak was. It was completely dry inside. I will add another layer of Permatex this week as an insurance policy against the leaks. I've heard of the window being replaced, only to leak again, so I will address this fix without the dealership's assistance.
Glad this is working out!

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Greetings from Seattle, where it rains every other day. I drove my truck three weeks ago during heavy rain and parked it in the garage after that. Haven't used the truck since.
Went for quick drive this week and saw A LOT of mold. Freaked out a little. Spent 4 hours removing all my belonging (covered in mold too) and trying to get rid of mildew smell, including fogger and new cabin filter.
Decided to see if the rear window was leaking, so left the car outside during the mild rain. And I saw water drops and mentioned the cracks on top corners of the sliding window trim.
Scheduled a visit to the dealership to fix the leak under TSB. Let's see how it goes.

View attachment 150216
I've got an update from the dealership this morning. They've cancelled my appointment and explained that Stellantis requires all cabin leak cases to go through an independent leak investigation provider. I was surprised to learn that there is a type of company like that, and there are a lot of them across the country.
Stellantis dealership doesn't investigate the source of the leak and they don't replace the rear glass. They manage the whole process, but rely on 3rd party vendor availability to investigate the source of the leak, and then on another vendor to replace the glass. First availability is in a month. My comment that there is clearly a crack in the window trim didn't work - they've responded that there is also a possibility of a leak through the brake light or other sources, and this is a new Stellantis requirement.

So I've parked the truck in the garage with all windows down to let it dry. Appointment is in a month.

Or should I try another dealership?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've got an update from the dealership this morning. They've cancelled my appointment and explained that Stellantis requires all cabin leak cases to go through an independent leak investigation provider. I was surprised to learn that there is a type of company like that, and there are a lot of them across the country.
Stellantis dealership doesn't investigate the source of the leak and they don't replace the rear glass. They manage the whole process, but rely on 3rd party vendor availability to investigate the source of the leak, and then on another vendor to replace the glass. First availability is in a month. My comment that there is clearly a crack in the window trim didn't work - they've responded that there is also a possibility of a leak through the brake light or other sources, and this is a new Stellantis requirement.

So I've parked the truck in the garage with all windows down to let it dry. Appointment is in a month.

Or should I try another dealership?
What? When did this 3rd party thing start?

Users who are viewing this thread