5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox warped and misaligned

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish mine had all 4 accessible! Mine is a later build but still has half and half. I need to remove my boxes anyways to inspect those spacers (washers) on the bottom to try and sink the box down more.
I wonder if all 4 bolts are needed anyways? I would think just the 2 you can reach from inside the box would be enough to hold the latch closed. Makes for easy adjustments later on.

Take your time eyeballing things if you remove a/some washers. You don't want the RamBox tilting in the space because it needs to have the outboard edge flush with the sheet metal (bottom of door open as you look at it). If it's down tight now, removing the washers will effectively tile the whole box in towards the centerline of the truck and can cause other alignment issues.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Take your time eyeballing things if you remove a/some washers. You don't want the RamBox tilting in the space because it needs to have the outboard edge flush with the sheet metal (bottom of door open as you look at it). If it's down tight now, removing the washers will effectively tile the whole box in towards the centerline of the truck and can cause other alignment issues.

Ah good tip - thanks! Is it possible to tell if it's tight across the bottom without removing the box completely? If it is, I guess no point pulling it all the way out... just up enough to adjust the latch a bit.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah good tip - thanks! Is it possible to tell if it's tight across the bottom without removing the box completely? If it is, I guess no point pulling it all the way out... just up enough to adjust the latch a bit.

Yes, just look at it or see if you can get a cardboard/paper edge underneath it and slide it along. If you look at my adjustment post I think you can see what the outer metal box edge looks like. The RamBox plastic just sits over it, but on top of the finished edge of the fender. That's what you want to see if it’s flush because there's nothing more to do if it is.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Yes, just look at it or see if you can get a cardboard/paper edge underneath it and slide it along. If you look at my adjustment post I think you can see what the outer metal box edge looks like. The RamBox plastic just sits over it, but on top of the finished edge of the fender. That's what you want to see if it’s flush because there's nothing more to do if it is.

Hmmm haven’t had my coffee yet so trying to picture that in my head. You mean before I even remove anything, look to see if it’s flush where the box meets the fender while standing in front of it with the lid open?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm haven’t had my coffee yet so trying to picture that in my head. You mean before I even remove anything, look to see if it’s flush where the box meets the fender while standing in front of it with the lid open?

Yes. If it is, removing any washers will just tilt the whole box back towards the center of the truck.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Well it was a bust. Removed them and no spacers/washers on the bottoms and the latches were already down all the way. Grrrr!
Guess I’ll have to let their body shop have a look at it and then request new lids if they can’t fix it (which of course they won’t).

Has anyone had their lids replaced yet?

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
i hear THAT...it seems almost every feature on my 2019 1500 is NOT without its "compromise"...

For absolute sure, the 5th generation of RAM is the generation that MOST "giveth & taketh" (i can say this, i've gone thru 4 *FOUR* 5th gens already : )

Is the design beautiful and an improvement in almost EVERY way?! YES

Are their glitches, inferior materials/poorer build quality, priced HIGHER and the suckiest A/C unit i've ever had? Also YES

... It seems like it’s either gonna be aligned but needs a good slam to shut, or look like $h!t but close smoothly, you can’t have both....

Last edited:

barakutha

Reaction score
Wish they had spent some of their interior budget on the fit/finish of our ramboxes

ec0129de1a8cfeb6f2fbbac80a78640b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I pulled my LID apart today on the pass side.
That is the one that you have to slam to close (and it is starting to hit the paint on the bed itself), and I had noticed from my 2nd floor window that the lid itself was a bit further forward (closer to the cab) than the driver side.

I found 2 more adjustable items that may or may not help others.

The hinge itself is secured and riveted to the main portion of the RAMBOX. The upper part of the hinge has 2 10mm bolts that hold it on. I realized the lid itself could be adjusted when I took it off to look into modifying for warping.

The adjustment is only a few mm's forward/backward in/out, but it was enough to re-center the entire lid on the RAMBOX for me.

You would need to do both sides the same amount as these hinges are a bit sloppy (loose). I made the bolts finger-tight and closed the lid. I was able to adjust to my liking, then opened (DO NOT LET IT OPEN ITSELF or else it will open hard and mess up your adjustment you just made).

I'm still working on alignment for the main painted part, but ran into an issue and did not want to "break" it since FCA and my local dealer are working with me to fix/replace.

BEFORE

AFTER

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
as for the previous post regarding the adjustable rubber stops, I have marked the location where they should be to bring the painted portion out a bit more for everyone's liking .. no easy way to add them there, but I'm sure there are some 3M bumper pads available in varying thicknesses :)

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I've been wanting to try to fix, but there isn't really away. It seems that the black top is possibly 3M'd to the main inner panel and I don't want to peel apart if I can get them replaced from the dealer.

I also attempted to clamp the ends, but there is something "inside" holding the 2 pieces apart .. I'd love to take them apart and sand them down or see why there is such a space on either end ..

EDIT: "Yes .. I did remove all the tiny screws from underneath .. " but this section is something I need to look at and see if DealerConnect has exploding diagrams that may give me a clue as to how to pull apart without permanent damage.

Last edited:

Kxlexus

Reaction score
This is what I've been wanting to try to fix, but there isn't really away. It seems that the black top is possibly 3M'd to the main inner panel and I don't want to peel apart if I can get them replaced from the dealer.

I also attempted to clamp the ends, but there is something "inside" holding the 2 pieces apart .. I'd love to take them apart and sand them down or see why there is such a space on either end ..

View attachment 34368
That is the main complaint I have with my Ramboxes and I don’t know what to do about it. I adjusted the bumpers and now the doors fit good. It is just that separation on the top that looks bad on mine.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought about placing small screws through from the bottom .. but after I pulled my lids off, there is something inside that keeps them from going flush .. definitely need to get them apart and sand it down :)

I don't know if there is an inner lip that the painted part failed to be placed into (I see a LOT of 5th Gens that look like this), or maybe a keyway that was not created wide enough for parts to fit together properly :(

RAMpage

Reaction score
I see some good progress was made this weekend! I’m nervous about taking mine apart much more since I’m clumsy and know I will scratch my paint

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see some good progress was made this weekend! I’m nervous about taking mine apart much more since I’m clumsy and know I will scratch my paint

I was as well .. I have a deep freeze in the garage and placed a large piece of cardboard on the top .. plenty of room :)

RAMpage

Reaction score
That’s true! Unfortunately I don’t think mine will adjust the way I need it to. The ends are bowed/warped upwards and no amount of adjusting can fix that. Too bad there weren’t spacers in the hinge brackets to remove to drop the ends down.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
That’s true! Unfortunately I don’t think mine will adjust the way I need it to. The ends are bowed/warped upwards and no amount of adjusting can fix that. Too bad there weren’t spacers in the hinge brackets to remove to drop the ends down.
I am right there with you. Hinge spacers to remove was the first thing I looked for too. Why are the tops of our lids bowing up on the ends and separating? Wonder if that will continue to get worse. Did this happen on the 4th Gen trucks? It will be interesting to see if the Ramboxes fit is improved on the 2020 trucks. I am not taking my truck in for this until I see Ram has solved this problem. All they could do until Ram engineers solve this is to put new boxes on that will be no better than what I have now. And they would surely mess something else up.
My guess is that somebody on one of the Ram forums comes up with a solution before Ram

RAMpage

Reaction score
Exactly. There is only so much that can be done with the parts the way they are now.
I know a few guys on here said they were getting the lids replaced under warranty, so I’m curious if that made the problem better or worse (or no change). Hopefully one of them responds with results.

Users who are viewing this thread