5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox warped and misaligned

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You and me both! The truck is awesome...the RamBox is the only negative thus far. I'm really hoping this gets sorted out :)

That was mine, too .. until I decided to pull the carpet on the driver's side one day after a rain storm and saw 2 inches of water .. I can handle the warped RAMBOXs after seeing that.

Quick update... my dealership has ordered new Rambox lids for my truck. They said the warping (up/down/up curvature) of the lid cannot be adjusted for and has to be replaced. I don't have a lot of confidence that the new lids will be much better, but it would be nice if they were. The fit of the Ramboxes is my one real issue with this truck in the fit & finish department. I'll post more pic when they are installed in a few weeks.

I pulled mine apart today and also noticed that if you open the lid and look, you can see where the mounting bolts push up on the main body of the RAMBOX .. I'm gonna remove the underside bolts this week and see if they (the RAMBOX lids) fall back into proper place). If that works, I'll post up images and send them to FCA under there Star Pub for their Engineer's Fix (which was to use a prybar and tweak the silver latch).

Zeeya

Reaction score
Thanks to you all for posting the information regarding the ram boxes. I've only had the truck a few months and right at 10,000 miles, but I keep looking at these things and scratching my head. I will try and look at some of the items you have all mentioned, but I don't think I can do anything to adjust this gap out.
IMG_8097.jpg
IMG_8098.jpg

RAMpage

Reaction score
Thanks to you all for posting the information regarding the ram boxes. I've only had the truck a few months and right at 10,000 miles, but I keep looking at these things and scratching my head. I will try and look at some of the items you have all mentioned, but I don't think I can do anything to adjust this gap out.
View attachment 35459
View attachment 35460

WOW. That one wins. :oops:

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
View attachment 35459
View attachment 35460
Yeah that’s pretty bad...

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Don't have the RamBox, but I did see a brand new...still had paper plates...Ram over in the Houston/Katy area Saturday that had the passenger side warped like the one above. Can't believe some of the quality issues people are running into. I love the truck, but seems they are all a little plagued with issues of some sort. I personally have the A/C problem, but so far (knocks on wood) this is the only problem that has surfaced.

mpmitch1

Reaction score
mine are warping up and have never been perfectly lined up :( 16,000 miles

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

is it only the rears or both front and rear?
if only rears, then STAR stays to bend the silver catch inside the rambox backwards to re-aligned. .. otherwise - turn those in and get them replaced!

:)

RAMpage

Reaction score
Front and back of them on mine. The front on the passenger side is acceptable but the front of the driver side one is just as bad as the backs of them both.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Seen another 2019 on my way into work this morning that has the RAM BOX also and his/her were perfect - so not sure if he/she just got lucky or they've been replaced.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seen another 2019 on my way into work this morning that has the RAM BOX also and his/her were perfect - so not sure if he/she just got lucky or they've been replaced.
I wonder if you have less exposure to the sun would that make a difference in how long their lids would look perfect. I would think the heat of the sun has something to do with the plastic curling up like that

RAMpage

Reaction score
I wonder if you have less exposure to the sun would that make a difference in how long their lids would look perfect. I would think the heat of the sun has something to do with the plastic curling up like that

Could be. I put in a request with my dealer to replace them, so if they do that I assume it will be getting close to winter when it's done. If the new ones fit good and stay good all winter but then start warping in the spring/summer then for sure the sun/heat are ruining them.

Douglas31

Reaction score
I have had mine replaced. They were near perfect after but have already started warping a little.

RAMpage

Reaction score
I have had mine replaced. They were near perfect after but have already started warping a little.

That’s not good. FCA will have to keep replacing them again and again if they don’t find a better solution.
When they replace them, do they just move over the painted piece or is it all replaced?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s not good. FCA will have to keep replacing them again and again if they don’t find a better solution.
When they replace them, do they just move over the painted piece or is it all replaced?
On mine it was all replaced.

I asked my body tech and he said that they normally keep the painted portion (especially on mine since it is metallic) and it snaps into the new lid.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Both ends, though the rear is worse. I’m out here in W Texas for 2 weeks at a time. I shot my front fender ast time I was out here. Temp was 106 and front fender showed 148. The temp is probably why mine has curled so much. I need to find some weights to put on them during the daytime

RAMpage

Reaction score
Anyone make any progress on their lids? Soon I will get some nice wood and make my own lids for them that won't bend and warp to $hit.

Firepower2010

Reaction score
My issue is the body actually pulling apart from the Ram Box. This is a 2019 2500 Longhorn. Both sides are doing this, less than 7,000 miles on them. My dealership is ordering new ones to replace them, but my fear is this is a systemic issue vs a one time thing.

Mine has 5,000 and same issue... it's a design/manufacturing issue. They had to replace mine.

lasani1121

Reaction score
So to everyone with the warping RAMbox lids - if you had to order your truck again would you still go with the RAMbox?
From what I can gather it's just an appearance issue and they still remain waterproof and latch ok? (not saying that makes it any less important of an issue to resolve since I agree, trucks this expensive shouldn't have this issue - especially after the RAMbox has been around for a number of years now)
Absolutely will buy it again and only with a Rambox. I had a 2015 and 2017 Rebel without them and my 2019 with the Rambox. Definitely a very functional feature. Bed is always clear of junk b/c the wire ties, tie downs, jumper cables, etc are are neatly organized and stored in the Rambox plus gives great functionality to the kids and wife for storage i.e. soccer balls, cleats, etc. Easy access as well. The warping, is not that bad. Many people don't even notice it. For example, I did not notice it. It did not bother me and it still does not bother me personally. If it can be fixed then great. If not I don't really care. It's not an "issue," per say, in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread