5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox warped and misaligned

RAMpage

Reaction score
Guess I will find out next week if my replacement truck (which has the RAMbox) has this issue or not. Fingers crossed it doesn't but I'm fairly confident it will have issues (while looking at trucks online it seemed like all of the RAMbox ones had this issue).

Curious... does that plastic trim piece that is bending come off fairly easy? Wonder if it's worth removing it to bend it back the opposite way slightly?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got my Rig Friday, so this is STILL an issue at the factory .. mine was built July 1st 2019 (that was when it was being painted).

Looks like it does from what I looked into so far.
Most on here just leave out in the sun and place a heavy weight on it.
My alignment is off as well .. the painted parts rub up against the "fender" which will cause paint to be rubbed off eventually.

Juli_hoop

Reaction score
I just got my Rig Friday, so this is STILL an issue at the factory .. mine was built July 1st 2019 (that was when it was being painted).

My alignment is off as well .. the painted parts rub up against the "fender" which will cause paint to be rubbed off eventually.

That’s how mine are, it almost rubs the fender on the left and a big gap towards the right. Top right of Rambox (black part) is also warping upwards.

Attachments

• B4A90B96-F30B-446D-9186-C4BB7344A0EE.jpeg
    B4A90B96-F30B-446D-9186-C4BB7344A0EE.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 248

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know the previous write-ups show how to remove and adjust .. but we (as consumers) shouldn't be doing that .. the dealer should ..

Kxlexus

Reaction score

Can you point me to the posts discussing leaving them in the sun and putting a heavy weight on top? I may try that but wondering how much weight to use. Still though, why wouldn’t it happen again?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
here are a few I grabbed via the search feature:

jgibbons1685

Reaction score
Has anyone actually had their boxes replaced yet? Just wondering if it fixed the issue before I go bring it up to my dealer next week.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I went outside and took a closer look at how the rambox lids are constructed. I had mistakenly thought the "bedcap" part was glued on and coming unglued. that is not the case. That is all one piece. I should have looked more closely before posting.

RAMpage

Reaction score
They should be two pieces like on the rest of the bed - not sure if they glue on however. I have replaced the part on the box of my last truck and it was snapped in.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i hope mine doesn’t warp bad enough to need to be replaced because im sure my ivory tri coat won’t be matched right but hey, I will definitely keep an eye on them and get it handled in these first 3 years

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing some more pics of these warped boxes. The first one posted in this thread would make me unhappy, the second one doesn't seem that bad. Mine are not perfectly aligned, but you have to be looking for an imperfection to notice.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They build them elsewhere and install them - they don't adjust them to fit.
You have to pull them out to make adjustments (on the latch catch itself - that large shiny silver u-shape thing that you would think would always be in your way).
I am getting in the habit of using the black top portion to close and never grab the painted surface since this will aid in deformation and distortion over time. (and even cause the 2 pieces to break apart eventually)

jgibbons1685

Reaction score
Thanks for the close-up. I'd be VERY unhappy with that fit! Wow. Has it always been that bad? Looks like it's off by 1/4" or so?
Yeah, it’s probably about that much off. It’s been that way since I bought it. It was the truck with all the options I wanted and I had to pull the trigger during the crazy June sales. I figured I’d just complain to the dealer until they get it right. I didn’t want to miss out on my truck during that sale.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Took the time today to adjust my Rambox lids. Followed the steps posted here on how to adjust them, took me about an hour but they look perfect now. Thanks guys.
Did you have to completely remove them?

Users who are viewing this thread