5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rambox opened while driving

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Hi RamCares! I'm the newest member of the Rambox Opening Club. For the last 3 weeks and several times per day, I will find the driver's side Rambox opening by itself both while driving and while parked. Several times while I've been on the highway and just this morning, got pulled over by a police officer to alert me to the lid flapping in the breeze. The circumstances are similar as everyone here - no set pattern, the lock mechanism opens and closes very quickly for several minutes while I watch and it does not appear to be a mechanism or alignment issue. I have a dealer appointment later this week and will show them the bulletin posted earlier in this thread.
To keep it from happening in the mean time, you can just unplug the harness under the inside cover. Go look at post #80 in this thread. Just unplug that white plug that’s pictured there. That’ll stop it until they can fix it.

D33

Reaction score
Our team would appreciate the opportunity to investigate this further alongside your dealer service. Please send us a private message with your VIN so that we may escalate a case on your behalf prior to your scheduled appointment. Thank you,

Kathryn
RamCares
1C6SRFLT5MN521805

Robert9478

Reaction score
After the new harness was installed in mine. Problem has been solved!

Just had the new harness installed yesterday. It has happened 5 times since then. It actually stopped for the two weeks leading up to the scheduled repair, but decided to continue with the repair anyways. Now it’s worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine just started doing it as well 2021 limited fully loaded. Not good since i had my new fishing lures fly out on the hiway

Hi RamCares! I'm the newest member of the Rambox Opening Club. For the last 3 weeks and several times per day, I will find the driver's side Rambox opening by itself both while driving and while parked. Several times while I've been on the highway and just this morning, got pulled over by a police officer to alert me to the lid flapping in the breeze. The circumstances are similar as everyone here - no set pattern, the lock mechanism opens and closes very quickly for several minutes while I watch and it does not appear to be a mechanism or alignment issue. I have a dealer appointment later this week and will show them the bulletin posted earlier in this thread.
Hello @Nfrattasio and @Barbag, we regret to hear that you are also experiencing trouble with your Rambox feature opening intermittently. Please send over a private message with your VIN so that we may escalate a case on your behalf prior to your dealer service. Thank you!
yes started on mine and I only have 3700 km on It truck is new
Hi there, we are sincerely sorry to hear this! Unfortunately, our team here is unable to assist customers outside of the United States. We kindly recommend following up with our Canadian Customer Care team for further support by calling 1-800-361-3700. Thank you!
Just had the new harness installed yesterday. It has happened 5 times since then. It actually stopped for the two weeks leading up to the scheduled repair, but decided to continue with the repair anyways. Now it’s worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello @Robert9478, we regret to hear that this concern is left unresolved for you. Please follow up with us in a private message so that we may investigate this further on your behalf. Thank you,

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Craigpeh

Reaction score
Count me in for this problem as well happened immediately after touch less wash . Truck has 1200 miles it's a 21 limited. Very inconvenient and frustrating seeing that's it's a very expensive truck with a lot of electronics what else can I look forward to.

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
Nothing but trouble with mine lately. Computer is going crazy, Ram Box opening while driving, side steps not working, side sensors erroring out, 12.1" screen off and on, heater comes on and stays on, rear drivers side tailight stays on where the turn signal lights are but stay on Red, front windows (drive and pass) do not roll down during one of these spells... Appointment on Monday for service but this is not good. Hard owning a $70k truck that has 11k miles and absolutely no reliability...

matthed

Reaction score
My driver's side Rambox opens at random. Lost my wife's favorite coat on the interstate. Brought it to dealer a couple months ago. They said that the adjusted the latch and the problem went away... for about a month. Now it's back. Happens at completely random times, only if the truck is unlocked. Seems to occur more frequently when it's been washed or when it has been been raining.

redbranch

Reaction score
My driver's side Rambox opens at random. Lost my wife's favorite coat on the interstate. Brought it to dealer a couple months ago. They said that the adjusted the latch and the problem went away... for about a month. Now it's back. Happens at completely random times, only if the truck is unlocked. Seems to occur more frequently when it's been washed or when it has been been raining.
There's a TSB on this. It's a wiring harness problem when it gets wet/damp. Mine has been perfect ever since the dealer replaced that.

srvilbert

Reaction score
I'm having similar issues with my driver's side Rambox (21 Limited). I've set up an appointment with my dealer. Fingers crossed 🤞🏾

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Verdict: Water intrusion, parts on order. They cleaned it up and used some dielectric grease for now.
Bonus: They also noticed my steering wheel was not centered and did an alignment.​

I might have to re-evaluate their service department. 🤔

RogerES

Reaction score
Mine started happening back in early February, about 5 weeks after purchase. (2021 RAM 1500 Limited) After convincing myself that I didn't forget to close it 10 times, I took it into the dealer, and provided my VIN to @RamCares, who have been in contact with both me, and the dealer, throughout.

Summary: The drivers side Rambox was opening anytime the truck was unlocked (fully), and it was wet out. I was able to mitigate the issue by turning off all of the auto-unlock features via the control panel, so only the drivers door unlocked when using the keyfob, or keyless entry. Unlike many others here, the passenger side Rambox also occasionally opened as well.

First visit to the dealer: Handed them the service bulletin printed out from here (Thanks!), and provided them the case# from RamCares. They did a quick check on the drivers side (only), and confirmed it was the wiring harness. They disconnected it, and placed order for drivers side harness, and took the truck home. Before I travelled 2 miles, the passenger side Rambox opened. I stopped, noticed it was 'clicking' trying to lock, both at the Rambox, and from behind the dash. The clicking stopped when the truck was locked. I took a quick video, sent it to the dealer asking them to order the parts for the passenger side as well. No response.

Second visit: Dropped the truck off, reminded them that the passenger side was having issues as well. They put the new wiring harness in the drivers side, and 'fixed the latch mechanism on the passenger side' so it would close properly. They drove the truck out to me to take home, and the passenger side was wide open. Called the technician, service manager, and shop foreman over to discuss. Took it back for a quick check, decided it was the same issue, and placed an order for the passenger side harness. Disconnected it in the interim. Noted that the 'clicking' was still occurring inside when the truck was unlocked, but assumed it was due to the disconnected wiring harness.

Third visit: Dropped the truck off. Dealer replaced the harness, but the passenger side Rambox continued to unlock repeatedly. It's been very very dry here in VA the past couple weeks, so moisture is not an issue. New huddle by the tech, service manager and additional folks. Took the truck in, and started testing control modules -- found one that was 'bad', and ordered replacement.

Still waiting on the replacement for the control module, but the way this problem started occasionally with the drivers Rambox only when wet, and even more occasionally the passenger Rambox,, and then became a continuous issue whenever the truck was unlocked, I suspect that the original wiring harness issue may have caused the control module to fail, which presented itself as the second issue. Or the dealer messed something up replacing the harness. :)

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Replacement parts installed yesterday morning. Took it through our touchless car wash afterwards to see what happens. So far so good, but it's only been a day...

JLawson

Reaction score
Add me to the list too. I bought a brand new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie yesterday and today the driver’s side Rambox started popping open on it’s own. Has opened on it’s own numerous times while parked and three times while driving down the road today. Not a good start for a one day old truck. On the bright side it brought me to this forum. Thanks for all the good information.

Last edited:

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add me to the list too. I bought a brand new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie yesterday and today the driver’s side Rambox started popping open on it’s own. Has opened on it own numerous times while parked and three times while driving down the road today. Not a good start for a one day old truck. On the bright side it brought me to this forum. Thanks for all the good information.
Welcome!

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Add me to the list too. I bought a brand new 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie yesterday and today the driver’s side Rambox started popping open on it’s own. Has opened on it’s own numerous times while parked and three times while driving down the road today. Not a good start for a one day old truck. On the bright side it brought me to this forum. Thanks for all the good information.
If you scroll back through this thread, I post how to unhook the connector as a temporary fix until you can get it back to the dealer. That’ll at least stop it from opening on it’s own.

Ezsailor

Reaction score
Add me to the list... with only 1,200 miles on my Longhorn Limited, the ramboxes have popped open several times

Users who are viewing this thread